ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Posting in HPDE section because my car it tracked a 6-8 days a year + AutoX

PP rotor size, are these any good ? Not a super advanced driver , Advance Auto is doing 25% now and I can get a pair for like $167
Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
AA for speed parts , good choice . NOT

OP
OP
ANGST

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
AA for speed parts , good choice . NOT
This is the usual reply , but I have not seen anyone provide supporting data . I am not saying you are wrong at all , but wanted to know if someone had tried them before.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Posting in HPDE section because my car it tracked a 6-8 days a year + AutoX

PP rotor size, are these any good ? Not a super advanced driver , Advance Auto is doing 25% now and I can get a pair for like $167
Should not be problem at all, those rotors are OEM specs or better and there’s plenty of people tracking their cars with standard pp rotors, just get your self a good set of pads and bed them in properly.

Sponsored

AlbertD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I have been tracking this car for almost 4 years now (10-12 events a year) and have been buying the Centric C-Tek rotors from RockAuto. I can get all 4 for under $200. They work perfectly fine... never had a rotor issue.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The reality is that there is maybe 2 manufactures for these brands of oem rotors. There might only be one for PP OE brake rotors.

It is laughable when people all about brands of parts when for most car parts there is a single supplier and 15 different brands.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The reality is that there is maybe 2 manufactures for these brands of oem rotors. There might only be one for PP OE brake rotors.

It is laughable when people all about brands of parts when for most car parts there is a single supplier and 15 different brands.
"Laughable"?

First off I would wager there are more than two manufacturers for brakes rotors for a car as popular as a Mustang. But for discussion sake - let's say there is only ONE manufacturer.

Do you understand that it's not the SAME parts being put in different boxes? I can tell you from personal experience that different brands / suppliers have different (less or more stringent) requirements and QC standards for their parts than other brands. Even different tolerances. So saying that the parts are the "Same" because they come from the same manufacturer is actually wrong.

This doesn't just apply to auto parts.

BlackandBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
"Laughable"?

First off I would wager there are more than two manufacturers for brakes rotors for a car as popular as a Mustang. But for discussion sake - let's say there is only ONE manufacturer.

Do you understand that it's not the SAME parts being put in different boxes? I can tell you from personal experience that different brands / suppliers have different (less or more stringent) requirements and QC standards for their parts than other brands. Even different tolerances. So saying that the parts are the "Same" because they come from the same manufacturer is actually wrong.

This doesn't just apply to auto parts.
I think what you are missing is the huge cost of manufacturing a product.

I will break down why there are such few manufactures.

Since 2015 440,000 mustang have been sold.

If 25%(high) were PP cars that’s 110,000 PP cars.

If replacement cycle is 4 years (60k) miles that’s 27,500 pairs or 55,000 rotors a year.

If profit margin is 25%(high) on a $100 rotor that leaves $1,375,000 In profit for total front mustang PP rotor replacement.

2 companies would be $687,500 split evenly.

That’s the reason why there are so few manufactures. The initial cost to setup and produce is huge. The payoff is long and slow.

I agree there are grades of parts. I just don’t think it’s as prevalent as most people assume. There are very few manufactures of replacement parts in the world.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I think what you are missing is the huge cost of manufacturing a product.

I will break down why there are such few manufactures.

Since 2015 440,000 mustang have been sold.

If 25%(high) were PP cars that’s 110,000 PP cars.

If replacement cycle is 4 years (60k) miles that’s 27,500 pairs or 55,000 rotors a year.

If profit margin is 25%(high) on a $100 rotor that leaves $1,375,000 In profit for total front mustang PP rotor replacement.

2 companies would be $687,500 split evenly.

That’s the reason why there are so few manufactures. The initial cost to setup and produce is huge. The payoff is long and slow.

I agree there are grades of parts. I just don’t think it’s as prevalent as most people assume. There are very few manufactures of replacement parts in the world.

And you're assuming that the rotors that fit the S550 didn't come from another product line and don't fit other vehicles. That well may be the case, but I know it's not that common for a replacement part like the rotor to only fit one model of car.

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Apparently people WILL argue over anything.

Schnupper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black
They are perfectly fine... I had to grab a set of front rotors in a pinch and they were the only ones local in stock. I used them all season with the gloc r6 pads. 200~ runs of autox, and 20k miles of daily driving.
Sponsored