Sponsored

CarPlay nav on dash

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Stang GT Premium, 22 F150 XLT Sport, 07 Tacoma
With the whole crazy CarPlay on multiple screens thing coming out, anyone hear if we would get even a small update to Sync to allow directions to appear on the gauge cluster with CarPlay like Android Auto and stock Nav already do? So stupid it's not there.
Sponsored

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 premium 6MT ER
So stupid it's not there.
I rented a VW Atlas one year ago, and the multi-screen CarPlay was already working back then, for simple things like current music song and for directions.

So the reason it is not there in our Mustangs is related to stupidity and/or malice. Don’t hope for a new sync or iOS CarPlay update to fix it.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I contacted ford about this yesterday when I was asking them about no lift shift. They said they have no plans to implement it for sync 3.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So stupid it's not there.
So the reason it is not there in our Mustangs is related to stupidity and/or malice.
No, it's just cost cutting. Apple charges car manufacturers a fee for each CarPlay-enabled vehicle, and the fee is higher if you want to integrate the dash as well. And even higher if you want to connect to CarPlay wirelessly - which is why we did't get that feature either.

Last edited:
OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it's just cost cutting. Apple charges car manufacturers a fee for each CarPlay-enabled vehicle, and the fee is higher if you want to integrate the dash as well. And even higher if you want to connect to CarPlay wirelessly - which is why we did't get that feature either.
ahhhhh interesting. my f150 does wireless, but no center nav for anything, and the stang has it's own nav (whereas they cut that from my f150 during production, thanks covid truck!) and at least that will work on the dash.

Sponsored

Stangalang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' GT Altas Blue
The worst part about these newer touchscreens is that most car markers aren't stretching to fit the full resolution. I have a 23' Sierra that has the 13" screen now, and only 2/3 of it is being used for Carplay. Even though my mustang has a smaller screen and resolution isn't as good as that one, I can at least utilize the entire screen.

It's super disappointing to see. I had a Explorer ST last year, with the vertical screen and that was horrific. You could only use 1/4th of the screen with Car play then the below was just wasted space.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same on the Ford Explorer. And look at the size of that black bezel !! :crackup:

IMG_4075.jpeg

Geodudes550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
S550 2018 Mustang GT Premium
That stupid screen in the dash has kept me out of an ST for a while now. Between the dumb dash and the fake exhaust, I just can’t buy one.

RTFM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
At least they got the Explorer buttons right. If they could just move those buttons over to the S650…

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
This is actually not true, there is no cost from Apple to implement CarPlay. The software to run it on the car is free from Apple. They give it away to the auto manufacturers to help drive customer loyalty with iPhone. There are hardware spec requirements to ensure it works sufficiently enough, so there is a cost there, but that hardware is not made by Apple.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This is actually not true, there is no cost from Apple to implement CarPlay. The software to run it on the car is free from Apple. They give it away to the auto manufacturers to help drive customer loyalty with iPhone. There are hardware spec requirements to ensure it works sufficiently enough, so there is a cost there, but that hardware is not made by Apple.
I stand corrected. At a closer look it seems this was just a rumour started and spread by BMW in order to justify their decision to charge customers for activating CarPlay in their cars.

BCB06GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt
That stupid screen in the dash has kept me out of an ST for a while now. Between the dumb dash and the fake exhaust, I just can’t buy one.
Check out the 2025 refresh. Back to a horizontal screen.

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I don't mind skipping wireless CarPlay. That would be a real battery suck. I didn't even notice the lack of directions on the gauge cluster, something I never paid attention to when I was running Android Auto. I have an Apple Watch that pings me when it's time to turn, and that works well enough for me.

OP
OP
velocityblue5.0

velocityblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't mind skipping wireless CarPlay. That would be a real battery suck. I didn't even notice the lack of directions on the gauge cluster, something I never paid attention to when I was running Android Auto. I have an Apple Watch that pings me when it's time to turn, and that works well enough for me.
yeah but that's if you use apple maps, which blows compared to google maps

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
yeah but that's if you use apple maps, which blows compared to google maps
I've used both now, and I can attest that CarPlay's turn-by-turn directions are much better than Android Auto's. I love how CarPlay tells me that my upcoming turn is the light after the one directly in front of me, for example. That gives me more time to make sure I'm in the right lane.

As far as map quality goes, I've run into fewer questionable areas with Apple Maps than with Google Maps. So while Apple Maps definitely sucked at first, it's gotten tons better since.
Sponsored