Sponsored

Care for decklid panel and taillights

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
I've seen comments suggesting use of plasticx to care for the decklid panel. I am curious of anyone's experience with this product on this area and whether anyone recommends anything else.

Also, after plasticx, should we wax the decklid panel using something like Meguiar's ultimate wax or a spray on ceramic wax?

Finally, does what works on the decklid panel work on the entirety of the taillights?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I've seen comments suggesting use of plasticx to care for the decklid panel. I am curious of anyone's experience with this product on this area and whether anyone recommends anything else.

Also, after plasticx, should we wax the decklid panel using something like Meguiar's ultimate wax or a spray on ceramic wax?

Finally, does what works on the decklid panel work on the entirety of the taillights?

Thank you in advance.
Here's a DIY thread I put together a while ago for how to remove rear decklid panel scratches or blems:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/#post-2641817

The 2018+ decklid panel is more susceptible to marring than the prior 2015-17 panels.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
After trying multiple techniques, I just purchased a blank decklid from Steeda & called it a day. They scratch if you look at it the wrong way….

OP
OP
Mike-S550

Mike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT
Here's a DIY thread I put together a while ago for how to remove rear decklid panel scratches or blems:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/trunk-lid-appliqué-scratch-repair-diy.122441/#post-2641817

The 2018+ decklid panel is more susceptible to marring than the prior 2015-17 panels.

Thank you. I've read your thread, and it's likely the direction I will take.

I'm wondering if you or others have experience with adding anything in addition to the plasticx. And, if so, can this be translated over to preventative care for the taillights?

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Thank you. I've read your thread, and it's likely the direction I will take.

I'm wondering if you or others have experience with adding anything in addition to the plasticx. And, if so, can this be translated over to preventative care for the taillights?
You could use a variety of polishes on those deck-lid panels and taillights so don't lock yourself into Plastx.

Once you have them back to spec, you could use any spray sealant to protect them both. Be sure to use an ultra soft microfibre to help prevent re-inflicting scratches and swirls.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Need to do mine.

Any thoughts for decon? I'm aware mine has something on it like tar or tree sap.

I know claying it is not wise, so I was thinking an iron/fallout remover, followed by a wipe down with some sort of tar/glue remover? Very gently of course.

I had bird poop on it a good while ago, and learnt the hard way not to use a clay bar on such a surface 😤

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Need to do mine.

Any thoughts for decon? I'm aware mine has something on it like tar or tree sap.

I know claying it is not wise, so I was thinking an iron/fallout remover, followed by a wipe down with some sort of tar/glue remover? Very gently of course.

I had bird poop on it a good while ago, and learnt the hard way not to use a clay bar on such a surface 😤
The iron remover wont take the tree sap off but it wouldn't hurt to do it.

CarPro TarX or Koch Chemie Ulex will remove the sap. As you said, be gentle but if you polish straight after it shouldn't matter too much.

Stangomydreams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Cali Special Convertible
From new I sealed it (and tail lights)with ceramic 9h then used a few coats of the tw ceramic spray wax as topper and it is holing up well.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I use chemicals guys jet seal on mine .So far so good.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
When I went to SEMA in 2019 I asked every cleaner rep there about the rear panel and not ONE had a product they could recommend on it. I've been considering having mine painted gloss black.
Sponsored