Sponsored

Carbon vs. Original Wheel Mounting ?

tobaccokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
I have a 2019 GT350. I was considering buying a set of the carbon wheels.

Two questions.
1) It's my understanding that the R studs are longer. How much for a dealer (or cheaper local shop) to change from the standard studs, the cost of a carbon wheel stud set, and a set of carbon wheel nuts ?
2) After the change can I still simply mount the standard wheels ? I don't recall whether the Carbon wheels have a different mounting surface for their unique studs that differs from the standard wheel mounting surface (i.e. is the standard wheel a V shaped surface ?).
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I got this from someone else on the forums and it makes sense. If you buy the whole hubs which include the studs, you can switch back without much drama (otherwise have longer studs poking with the stock 350 wheels. Either way, the hubs make it easier than pressing out all the OEM studs.
HUB-299 is the replacement R front hub

HUB-308 is the replacement R rear hub

PS, I have a set of wheels and tires for you ;)

Dharri21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R HE, 2022 GT500 CFTP HE, 2022 Lightning
Vehicle Showcase
The factory lug nuts on a GT350R are the same as the F-150. The wheels are way thicker than standard GT350 wheels. If you put standard wheels on the R hubs you will need open ended lug-nuts. lMR and AM have them just for this. I understand you are going the other way. I think the hub idea from @stanglife is the easiest way. The carbon wheels are definitely nice.

I have the carbon wheels and removed them for lookalikes from LMR because I did not want to mess them up or have them stolen.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Of course the down side is - swapping 4 hubs will run you almost $1000. Guess it depends on how much time you have and if you think you'd ever go back.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have a 2019 GT350. I was considering buying a set of the carbon wheels.

Two questions.
1) It's my understanding that the R studs are longer. How much for a dealer (or cheaper local shop) to change from the standard studs, the cost of a carbon wheel stud set, and a set of carbon wheel nuts ?
2) After the change can I still simply mount the standard wheels ? I don't recall whether the Carbon wheels have a different mounting surface for their unique studs that differs from the standard wheel mounting surface (i.e. is the standard wheel a V shaped surface ?).
The OEM R hubs have longer lugs - A LOT (40mm) longer in the front and 20mm longer in the rear. The hub mounting faces are the same between the R and non-R hubs so you can run any rims you want on either hub.

As @Stangl1fe said, the simplest solution is to just buy new R hubs and install them. FP made installing them fairly straightforward. The rears are a bit tedious, but the fronts (with the right tools) are easy.

As for lugs, you can run open nuts, or you can reach out to @50 Deep. I believe he can source extended closed-end nuts that will work with the extra-long studs.
Sponsored