Sponsored

Carbon Fiber Hood w/ No Garage. Yay or Nay?

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT MT82 2017 Edge Sport
I've been debating on a new hood for my daily driven 19 Magnetic Metallic colored GT and I would really like to go with a CF hood but I do not have a garage. I've heard people say sitting out in the sun year round will damage/discolor a CF hood so just looking to see if anyone is in the same boat.
Screenshot 2022-04-14 104605.png
Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Over time the resin can yellow and/or become cloudy due to UV light. How long it will take would likely depend on the material quality.

I had a Ducati years ago that a previous owner had thrown a ton of CF parts at, and some of it looked a little nasty by the time I got my hands on it. I wet sanded and cleared what looked tacky, which helped. Some of the parts had gotten a little brittle also.

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
No, but I wouldn't even own a Mustang without having a garage, so don't listen to me. :cool:

gone_n_60

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Whit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP Convertible
GT looks nice for no garage, but sun is a slow killer of anything vulnerable to it.

S550_GTCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
Anything from Anderson will come with a gel coat...assuming that is who you are looking at buying from. I have their trunk lid and its going on its 3rd summer being on the car. My car is outside 24/7 and it still looks brand new. You could always have the gel coat sanded off and have it cleared. Other option would be PPF, but that size hood would most likely have seams. I had my trunk ceramic coated with a good coating and haven't had any issues with it turning yellow.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Xtian_Av

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Anything from Anderson will come with a gel coat...assuming that is who you are looking at buying from. I have their trunk lid and its going on its 3rd summer being on the car. My car is outside 24/7 and it still looks brand new. You could always have the gel coat sanded off and have it cleared. Other option would be PPF, but that size hood would most likely have seams. I had my trunk ceramic coated with a good coating and haven't had any issues with it turning yellow.
I'm looking at the Anderson GT350 style hood. Would definitely be doing the same and getting a ceramic coat on it as well.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Take that money. Buy a car tent. After that the world is your oyster.

Cruizer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I can't speak on carbon fiber and the sun. But love the front end on your car. I wish I had purchased one last year before they went up.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
No , I had a CF hood once on my old car and it did yellow and delaminate in some spots over time, even washed and detailed and waxed. was mainly in a garage but was parked outside at work almost daily. One reason I lost interest in the CF Fad. Having CF and body painting over it is a good option since you save weight.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Why not paint the CF hood? Then you won’t have to worry about any of these issues

Sponsored
OP
OP
Xtian_Av

Xtian_Av

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Why not paint the CF hood? Then you won’t have to worry about any of these issues
The look and quality of the CF hood is more so what I’m interested. If I was going to paint I would just go the cheaper route aluminum hood route

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
The look and quality of the CF hood is more so what I’m interested. If I was going to paint I would just go the cheaper route aluminum hood route
If it’s the carbon fiber look you’re after and not so much the weight savings maybe get it wrapped? Then the yellowing of the CF won’t be a concern. I was under the impression the reason for a CF hood was weight savings and nothing else. I haven’t seen anyone mention a brand that fits better or even as good as an oem hood so I’m not sure what the argument is for quality.

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Also recommended to use hood pins and also some carbon fiber hoods prefer not to use gas shocks if you have any and avoid dropping or slamming the good down,. It can crack
Sponsored