Carbon Fiber Addicts Anonymous Thread

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Since this is the carbon fiber thread, I guess this is the best place to ask.

Does anyone make an understated carbon fiber hood? Something akin to the stock 15-17 GT hoods? I'd like to upgrade but after looking at all the carbon fiber hood options I was left very underwhelmed. All of them had such tacky over the top designs that didn't mesh with the smooth flow of the S550.

Thanks for any input.
I would call around for a true carbon fiber hood that is custom made to look like the original. Most or about 99.9999999% of the carbon hoods out there are just fiberglass with carbon fiber laid on top (or some call it carbon fiber infused) for the appeal. I am not a fan of the company, but I do know that Trufiber will make a custom hood. to match the original and will come dried or without the gloss coat. Then you would have to paint it (1 coat for function, more coats of paint for show) and the put gloss on top of it.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
I really want to get the carbon fiber dash pieces, but the funds just aren't there right now. Looks real sharp.

Mootang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I really want to get the carbon fiber dash pieces, but the funds just aren't there right now. Looks real sharp.
Full carbon or the overlays?

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Full carbon or the overlays?
Has to be full carbon. Not a big fan of the stick ons... if I went that route, I may as well use the 4d carbon vinyl wrap (or whichever wrap looks like genuine carbon). And the overlays are still pretty expensive from what I've seen.

I know carbon cartel has it for $700ish. Very tempting.

Also, I wouldn't mind a center console piece in matte carbon fiber. With the glossy, I'd be worried about scratching it too much.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Took delivery of Anderson CF front fenders yesterday. It will probably be a couple months before I get them installed. And painted. Yes, I want them painted lightning blue to match the rest of my car. Sorry about that.

Sponsored

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I would call around for a true carbon fiber hood that is custom made to look like the original. Most or about 99.9999999% of the carbon hoods out there are just fiberglass with carbon fiber laid on top (or some call it carbon fiber infused) for the appeal. I am not a fan of the company, but I do know that Trufiber will make a custom hood. to match the original and will come dried or without the gloss coat. Then you would have to paint it (1 coat for function, more coats of paint for show) and the put gloss on top of it.

[MENTION=26707]Mootang[/MENTION]

Thanks for the information.:) I'll give them a call and see how much they charge to make a custom hood. If the price is reasonable and, more importantly than that, if the weight savings is considerable enough, then I'll go for it.

About how many pounds do one of these weigh anyway? If I can save at least 10lbs over the stock aluminum hood, I'll be happy. 15lbs would be even better. :D

rum_punch_ruby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Supercharged 17 GT Premium, Performance Pack
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a pic of the center console, radio bezel, e-brake handle, and shift knob. Can't see in the pics are also cf knee bolsters. Also from carbon cartel (2x2 gloss weave pattern). Still waiting on door handle bits and steering wheel bezels.
2018-04-26 14.07.15.jpg

Sherrodmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT
Here is a pic of the center console, radio bezel, e-brake handle, and shift knob. Can't see in the pics are also cf knee bolsters. Also from carbon cartel (2x2 gloss weave pattern). Still waiting on door handle bits and steering wheel bezels.
Looks great...

draconis123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Where'd you get all those white bars? Been looking for some.:)

Joking aside that setup is sweet.

Sponsored

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
Better pic of the new wheel :D Full carbon dash/center console/door pieces coming next week... :thumbsup:
cockpit1.jpg

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
For the guys posting pics of their carbon fiber interior, is it replacement carbon fiber or are they overlays?

Joelang33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Race Red Whippled 16 Mustang GT Premium PP
For the guys posting pics of their carbon fiber interior, is it replacement carbon fiber or are they overlays?
I believe those are replacements. I went with the overlays from HCM carbon that [MENTION=19793]2morrow[/MENTION] is running and suggested. I will post a pic of the quality once they arrive and are installed!

-Joe

Reactions: Ebm

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Just an opinion, not a bash post or otherwise, but I am conflicted with CF. When done tastefully it's nice...but I'm with @z06psi on this one. If the first thing I notice about your car is all the CF then it's overdone (IMHO). It's no different than someone who color matches every panel and trim piece to their paint code.

Now, if you spend the big bucks and use dry carbon body panels and completely strip out and tub your mustang to make it lighter and faster, by all means CF the hell out of it. But in my 20+ years of modding cars I see most folks cheap out on CF and it looks like crap within a couple years.

Again...just my opinion...I always say "if it isn't your money, it isn't your concern". Y'all do you :D

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
Close-ups of the 2x2 please...
Sponsored