Car won’t start

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The engine is 25K retail, so probably 20K cost plus install, I doubt Ford wants to eat many of these.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The engine is 25K retail, so probably 20K cost plus install, I doubt Ford wants to eat many of these.
They do it all the time with the 350s. This is not new.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
This is not new
Never said it was new.

Only if it costs 200K to fix a problem with the engines that is less than 10 failures. 500K is about 22 failures.

I'm saying it is probably cheaper for Ford to fix the problem than replace engines.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Never said it was new.

Only if it costs 200K to fix a problem with the engines that is less than 10 failures. 500K is about 22 failures.

I'm saying it is probably cheaper for Ford to fix the problem than replace engines.
The engine is still being replaced, even with the problem being revealed after a tear down. Ford also isn’t going to reuse any engine where an internal catastrophic event blew metal through the entire assembly.

Regardless if Ford *might* know what part or parts is causing such failures, it’s a moot point as far as “not replacing engines”. There are already engines out in the wild that could have those inferior parts - that *could* fail just as this one, as the one before it - and as any we have seen with the multiple GT350 failures across model years.

There also isn’t and hasn’t been any proof that any engine already assembled that is to be used for a warranty replacement - is 100% built using revised supplier parts. There also isn’t any proof that Ford works backwards and is now tearing apart previously built engines to replace inferior parts with newly revised supplier parts while waiting on the line for a drop in to any new model. LOL!!!!

Prior to last year, overall Ford was $5 Billion in the hole for warranty issues. That right there shows Ford has bigger problems either at their supplier levels, or their manufacturing levels or their QC levels.

While the theory may sound all fluffy and nice that there might have been an internal correction for GT500 engines or supplier parts as you are assuming - not one in the “know” has verified that at all.

We also don’t know if Ford now allows complete engine tear downs at the Service Centers for GT350, 350R or GT500’s across the board - OR if they are only requesting certain Service Centers to do a tear down based on XYZ concerns. How do we know that Ford’s Engineering Team didn’t request a tear down on a specific engine for a specific reason? The procedure has always been if any one of those engines had a catastrophic failure, a warranty replacement was authorized, the blown engine was removed and sent back to Ford for review. I have not seen or heard anything online that states the process has changed.

Last edited:

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
The engine is still being replaced, even with the problem being revealed after a tear down. Ford also isn’t going to reuse any engine where an internal catastrophic event blew metal through the entire assembly.

Regardless if Ford *might* know what part or parts is causing such failures, it’s a moot point as far as “not replacing engines”. There are already engines out in the wild that could have those inferior parts - that *could* fail just as this one, as the one before it - and as any we have seen with the multiple GT350 failures across model years.

There also isn’t and hasn’t been any proof that any engine already assembled that is to be used for a warranty replacement - is 100% built using revised supplier parts. There also isn’t any proof that Ford works backwards and is now tearing apart previously built engines to replace inferior parts with newly revised supplier parts while waiting on the line for a drop in to any new model. LOL!!!!

Prior to last year, overall Ford was $5 Billion in the hole for warranty issues. That right there shows Ford has bigger problems either at their supplier levels, or their manufacturing levels or their QC levels.

While the theory may sound all fluffy and nice that there might have been an internal correction for GT500 engines or supplier parts as you are assuming - not one in the “know” has verified that at all.

We also don’t know if Ford now allows complete engine tear downs at the Service Centers for GT350R, 350R or GT500’s across the board - OR if they are only requesting certain Service Centers to do a tear down based on XYZ concerns. How do we know that Ford’s Engineering Team didn’t request a tear down on a specific engine for a specific reason? The procedure has always been if any one of those engines had a catastrophic failure, a warranty replacement was authorized, the blown engine was removed and sent back to Ford for review. I have not seen or heard anything online that states the process has changed.
Hello; Good summary of the situation. I joined this forum some months ago after I stumbled onto a TSB about new V8 Ford F-150 pickup oil burning issues. I was concerned about what I was finding and wanted to seek out information. Essentially I was hoping to find what the odds might be for getting a "problem" engine. I went to three dealerships in person and could not get any information, not even on the side.
I contacted Ford directly and requested information. Did not get an answer. Also to be fair I did not keep at it. I only made the one attempt.

In the time I have been searching for the Coyote engine information, there have been a lot of reports about engine failures in this and other web sites. As you spell out well, it is just too hard to know how bad the engine problems may be in terms of a percentage of engines that fail in some significant way. The engine failures do not necessarily include the excessive oil burning in my thinking anymore.
Add to these things the issues with the transmissions that get reported, the BBQ tick and the 2000K rattle which are discussed. Some of these things do not seem to be outright failures or serious problems. Some may be part of the nature of how an engine sounds or runs and will not affect the life of an engine. Again a lot of speculation and I cannot come to a conclusion about any of them at this point.

I walked away from the new F-150 and a very good deal. I still do not know if I made a good decision. Maybe so. Maybe not. I have been shopping for a Mustang GT as well. In fact I made an offer on a leftover 2020 GT two days ago. The offer was too low according to the text I received this morning. We are about $1,500 apart. I plan to hold to my offer partly because I want a good deal on a last years model and partly because of the questions around the Gen III Coyote engine. Even if they take my low offer I will be worried should I buy the car. Where are the crystal balls when you need one?

One answer to the overall situation seems to be to buy an extended warranty. While I understand this, there just seems something wrong with such a way to deal with the potential problems. I am still thinking about this approach.

I want a sporty car with a manual transmission. I want as much American made parts as possible since I live in TN. I want a spare tire and will settle for a spot to put a spare as the mustang has. In a Mustang I want a V8. I started considering a Mustang after the rear IRS became standard. I do not need the horsepower of the current base GT as I will not be drag racing nor going to a track. I would trade off some of the HP for more reliability if that was a real choice, but not with a six or turbo four. I want a V8 rumble.

I keep thinking of the Porsche IMS problem which lasted for many years. My guess is Ford will come up with a fix at some point if they have a basic problem with the Coyote V8's. There is a possibility we are seeing posts and threads about a small fraction of engine failures compared to the total number in use. Even knowing this would be worth it.

I will be sending a reply to the Ford dealer today telling them I will stick to my offer for their car. I live about 90 miles from the dealership so have been talking on the phone or in a text. They sent a text to tell me they want more money, so I will text back. Guess I could use the $1,500 difference to get an extended warranty.
I also am not keen on the new gas prices. 93 octane is over $3 a gallon here. 87 is around $2.59. I can keep driving my 20 year old car which gets over 30 MPG.
Sponsored