Sponsored

Car and Driver 2020 GT500 First Test - 11.4 @ 132 quarter mile

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Ha! That’s awesome. You going to run it that soon after delivery? Not going to just enjoy the new supercar smell and drive slowly by high schools and sonic drive throughs just to hear the bone clacking sound of jaws hitting the floor?
Honestly, the plan is to hit everything as hard as we can, as fast as we can;
Dealer to dyno, shoemaker is in town he'll tune it, if we can get w track open we'll run it

idk. Stangmode proved the car is ridiculously fast in a normal street.

but when comparing great times, they are ALL on prepped surfaces. At least the gt500 is doing it without ford engineers taking all day and trying every trick in the book to get good times... unlike a certain bow tie company.

car and driver tests using Chrysler’s 1.6 mile drag strip.

they rent drag strips for private testing elsewhere.

If they cared to get into the 10’s at all whatsoever, you’d be seeing 10s in their testing.

they sandbagged pure and simple.
This is incredibly funny, because i dont read them, as i don't trust them to begin with.
But i suppose starting with the C8 and insane dyno hp, i had to find out.. and then, with all the banter, maybe the zle and redeye are that great, let me do my research..

And what became instantly obvious, was the completely different approaches by the builders, and writing of the outcomes.

1 company sets up like its the final race of the year, and they need 1st to take the seasons win. The subsequent writeups are plagued with excuses and justifications, with a follow up article explaining why the 1st outing wasnt a true test, but now, after no special tweaks the car is phenomenal...

The other camp, says, you guys are amateurs anyway, we'll just get a driver for the uhaul dolly and meet you trackside, go have fun.

Then the articles use descriptive but emotionless words.. numbing exactly just how great it is, while showing the higher ups they did their job, technically.. but without the pizzazz
Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I think the ZLE with the A10 is probably a bit quicker than that, but either way the gt500 definitely pulls harder.
The a10 zl1 may be quicker than that, but the gt500 has already been shown to be very near a full second quicker than that. With actual drag strip times.

Car and driver did not even try.

They got youtuber first timer in undesirable DA type results.

Maybe they should get a new vbox. Or you know, actually test it with drag strip timing. Since that’s what people get... at an actual drag strip. They’re already renting and partnering with tracks and drag strips. Might as well be accountable instead of “we say the vbox said this...”

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Those things aside, 0-60 in 3.6 seconds and 1/4 mile in 11.4 seconds is a little disappointing. I realize it's traction limited and the 132 mph trap speed tells more of the story, but I feel like C&D should have been able to get better times. That said, my theory is they are testing in December, with cold asphalt, which KILLS traction with these summer performance tires. My 460 hp GT has spun the tires at 60 mph with half throttle on the highway before the tires are warm when it's 40F outside. Even when warm, the traction is limited on cold asphalt. I would imagine these GT500 times are due to a dreadful 60' time.
It was meant to be disappointing. We’ve already seen the car is consistently faster than that.
Car and driver just going downhill a bit further.

Sponsored

ALUSA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
AL
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
Exactly as I thought. It’s tough to get traction with that much power from a dig.

But the gt500 is going to be an absolute terror from a roll.

From the article:

“The GT500 does flex its muscle in its post-quarter-mile performance, hitting 150 mph in 15.1 seconds. That's a massive 3.2 seconds quicker than the ZL1 and 2.8 quicker than the Challenger.”

3.2 seconds faster to 150mph than the ZL1? Holy hell!

Also worth noting, it seems to be the Carbon pack they tested. I wonder if the base will fare better on the street with its slightly taller ride hide and more compliant suspension.
So now we are relying on Roll races? This is coming from someone who mentioned speed limits in the public roads and going to jail! Which public road do you think you are going to stretch the GT500 so you can leave the ZL1 and Corvette C8 behind? Only place i can see is in Germany. Just wait for the ZLE 10 speed vs GT500 results.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
So now we are relying on Roll races? This is coming from someone who mentioned speed limits in the public roads and going to jail! Which public road do you think you are going to stretch the GT500 so you can leave the ZL1 and Corvette C8 behind? Only place i can see is in Germany. Just wait for the ZLE 10 speed vs GT500 results.
Roll racing is done at many dragstrips across the country. I’m sure Brooks and his YouTube channel will do several videos highlighting it.

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
Roll racing is done at many dragstrips across the country. I’m sure Brooks and his YouTube channel will do several videos highlighting it.
Must not be a midwest thing then, I have never seen roll racing or a roll racing event at any dragstrip I have ever been too.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Must not be a midwest thing then, I have never seen roll racing or a roll racing event at any dragstrip I have ever been too.
I may have used “across the country” too liberally. It’s definitely in Florida and in some major strips in the southeast.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Roll racing at drag strips is definitely becoming a thing. They have them out here as well.

Why?

I guess to remove every ounce of driver ability, only showcase what the car can do.

Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Roll racing at drag strips is definitely becoming a thing. They have them out here as well.

Why?

I guess to remove every ounce of driver ability, only showcase what the car can do.
I believe it’s a way to keep things off the street. People seem to love it and tracks seem to be catering. It’s a win win really. Definitely less skill involved.

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
C&D trapped 135 mph in the base Huracan, and 136 mph in the Performante. I wish I could see the 60-100 mph time for the Shelby. The base Huracan does it in 3.2 seconds (as does the Ford GT). Based on the 1/4 mile performance compared to 0-60 mph performance, I would expect the GT500 to also be in that 3.2 second 60-100 mph range. That's 2019 ZR1 territory (60-100 mph in 3.1 seconds, trap speed in 1/4 mile was 135 mph as well). Compared to the ZL1, which takes 4.0 seconds 60-100 mph. From a roll, the GT500 will flat out destroy the ZL1, no matter what the 0-60 times indicate. This is evidenced by the 1/4 mile trap speeds (132 mph for CFTP vs 124 mph for the ZL1 1LE).
A38F2088-B8F4-42E2-AB25-F536647FD45E.jpeg

Good friends Performante, did 2 separate 0-150 runs, wicked acceleration!

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
I don’t know what everyone is complaining about. This car moves! It’s almost as quick as the NA GT3RS. In fact, it eeks out the RS to 150mph by a little.

The RS is an overachiever however with 240hp less.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
The a10 zl1 may be quicker than that, but the gt500 has already been shown to be very near a full second quicker than that. With actual drag strip times.

Car and driver did not even try.

They got youtuber first timer in undesirable DA type results.

Maybe they should get a new vbox. Or you know, actually test it with drag strip timing. Since that’s what people get... at an actual drag strip. They’re already renting and partnering with tracks and drag strips. Might as well be accountable instead of “we say the vbox said this...”
I don't think anyone is debating that the GT500 is a lot faster than the ZL1 with that mph delta.

Putting that power down efficiently on the street is a valid test, though.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

You guys are joking right? Roll racing became a thing when cars became too powerful to launch on the street, and when people were tired of breaking drivetrain components. You have low tier events at dragstrips for $15, up to Nascar tracks that cost $250 and up. Different breed of cars to race at each repective level
:cwl::cwl::cwl::cwl:

Sponsored