Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Can you wax of protective poly film?

Is it only certain waxes or any can be done?

Any chance of it causing discoloration to the film?
Sponsored

FatPat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'd test an area first, but there shouldn't be any problems putting wax over a PPF. Typically a ceramic coating will do a better job, and it will last longer.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just check the label to make sure it is safe for PPF. You will not have any issues with any of the top products. Contact the manufacturer if you're not 100% sure. FatPat's recommendation for ceramic is a good one but keep in mind there are three kinds. The spray stuff you buy in your auto parts store. The professional ceramic coatings that can be done by the consumer and then you have the coatings that have to be done by a certified installer. These, of course, are the most expensive largely due to the time it takes to prep your paint for the coating.

Deleted member 35644

Make sure it's just wax, or sealant. Cleaner waxes, polishes, compounds, etc. contain solvents that can degrade plastics & vinyls, not to mention leaving it hazy if it has any kind of abrasives in it.

Matador91

Benchmark Auto Salon
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

you can absolutely use automotive wax on PPF. I personally recommend using a spray wax on PPF over traditional wax’s or sealants. Reason for Using spray wax, is you won’t have build up on the edges of the film.

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Need to consider how the edges of the film has been applied. If the edges have been rounded around the panels then no big issues however if you have edges that are strait cut/ends on the panel you want to think of how you apply the wax with the applicator. Because you will "shave" off the wax on the edge and get a build up and potentially lift the edge as well

Apart from that I don't de any issues of applying regular car wax on top of the PPF. I have applied ceramic coating with no issues.

Last edited:

ExtantPuzzle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I asked the detailer when I got my frontend wrapped, he recommended a spray wax and just to be careful when going around the edges of the PPF to prevent working up the edges but said there was no real issue.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
PPF will have some exposed edges that can potentially get a buildup of wax. Not all edges can be wrapped under the body panels. I use a quick detailer spray wax on the whole car after I wash it. Spray on, wipe it around and lightly hand buff with microfiber towels. My car has PPF on the whole front end. The detailer works great and doesn't build up along the edges of the PPF. Plus the detailer eliminates water spots and really brings out a shine.

Mustang Tony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT 10R80 PP1 401A Magneride
i wouldn't do it....just use a detailer like mentioned above.

Roadsign

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
A lot of products that have petroleum in them can discolor the paint protection film. Best to check with the film manufacturer. There are better options than an actual wax. The ceramic coatings can be used over ppf and paint. As others have stated, the ceramic coatings at local parts stores are typically no good. There is nothing magic about ceramic application if you want a diy. Take your time and follow directions or pay a pro to apply it.

BlackBoostedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT WhippleCharged

Yes and some people even put a ceramic coat over it. Cant tell you what ppf is compatible with what ceramic coat though.
Sponsored