Sponsored

Can you modify the Whipple Tune?

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I added Longtubes, can a tuner modify the Whipple tune or do they have to start from a fresh base tune? What about if I added harness for IAT2 ? Can the Whipple tune read it?
Sponsored

JakeLethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2022 F-150 RCSB 5.0
I added Longtubes, can a tuner modify the Whipple tune or do they have to start from a fresh base tune? What about if I added harness for IAT2 ? Can the Whipple tune read it?
I would probably go on to say start fresh. Unless you're tuner knows what they're really doing, I can't imagine Whipple's leaves their files open for edits like that?
IAT2 harness is for a custom tune. Since Whipple's are designed for their kits and what's included, I can't imagine they'd be able to add that. But, would be a question for their calibrators.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Yes, a tuner can modify the whipple tune if they are comfortable doing so. That's how my car is tuned today. Still running the Whipple OS, but tune is modified for what is done to my car. No, you can't change the IAT2 setup from how Whipple has it. If you do, then you'll need a complete retune on the Ford OS.

OP
OP
Southfloridanick
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Yes, a tuner can modify the whipple tune if they are comfortable doing so. That's how my car is tuned today. Still running the Whipple OS, but tune is modified for what is done to my car. No, you can't change the IAT2 setup from how Whipple has it. If you do, then you'll need a complete retune on the Ford OS.
What are the disadvantages of using the Whipple tune as a base file ? If I swap my IAT back to the Whipple style set-up, do I lose anything ?

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
What are the disadvantages of using the Whipple tune as a base file ? If I swap my IAT back to the Whipple style set-up, do I lose anything ?
A tuner would be best to explain the pros and cons. Running the IAT2 harness the whipple way does not give you the opportunity to see IAT2 on your digital gauge cluster (it replaces the stock IAT1 info). You also can't log it with HP Tuners. If you are running the whipple tune, you must have IAT2 wired their way.

Sponsored

smokescreens

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
2014 impala, 2017 HD. 2018 Royal C mustang gt pp1
My tuner modified the whipple tune as well. No meow's kooks. He tweaked the whipple tune to accommodate the long tubes, messed with the fans, ect. He is a pretty conservative tuner as he dont want you to grenade a motor. He claims whipple has a pretty decent tune overall but could stand a few tweaks anyhow. Mostly on fans he says. All in all i put 680hp to the tires on his dyno on 93. But the car pulled timing north of 4500rpm due to being octane limited on my gen 3 coyote. I cant bring myself to spend $4000 on a fuel system to run e85 i cant find at wvery gas station so.... 93 and a splash of boostane if i want to be silly

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
The Whipple tune can be easily modified by someone with HP Tuners. I don't believe it can be reconfigured to run an IAT2 harness, but I am not sure why you'd want to do that. The Whipple OS monitors both IAT and IAT2/MCT, and both be logged in HP Tuners easily.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
The Whipple OS monitors both IAT and IAT2/MCT, and both be logged in HP Tuners easily.
I have not been successful logging IAT2/MCT with HP Tuners on my whipple tune. Is there a trick I don't know about? See screenshot below, it always reads some wonky negative temp:

1695159383818.png

**EDIT looking at a few old logs, it always reads -128*F

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I have not been successful logging IAT2/MCT with HP Tuners on my whipple tune. Is there a trick I don't know about? See screenshot below, it always reads some wonky negative temp:

1695159383818.png

**EDIT looking at a few old logs, it always reads -128*F
I have found using Intake Air Temp 2 works. Try re-polling for parameters and see if you have IAT 2.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I have found using Intake Air Temp 2 works. Try re-polling for parameters and see if you have IAT 2.
I will have to look again. I don't recall ever seeing it. MCT was the only option I believe. Maybe something different with the 15-17 cars compared to the 18+ cars?

Sponsored

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
I will have to look again. I don't recall ever seeing it. MCT was the only option I believe. Maybe something different with the 15-17 cars compared to the 18+ cars?
That could very well be. Also possible your OS might be defined incorrectly by HPT. They have a track record of doing that. A support ticket might fix it.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
There are pros and cons either way but the Whipple tunes does allow logging both iat and mct. Besides that they are largely the same. As others have said you can easily read and modify the Whipple tune just like stock. Most big tuners have one basic tune they like selling everyone and it works with a specific stock os so they just push that on every most customers.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
@smokescreens you dont need a $4000 fuel system to run e85. A dw400 and bap will take you a long way on the Whipple kit, down to probably the 3.5ā€ pulley in most weather conditions. For more, Iā€™m working on a $1300 option that should support over 1000 rwhp.

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT