Sponsored

California Meth/Injection Question

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
So I live in California and as of this month, I had a Roush Phase 2 installed in my 2016 Mustang GT. I don't trust the 91 octane here in California, I live in Norcal area and I have no access to e85 anyway. I really don't want engine knock, engine failure from bad gas or timing being pulled.

I want to go with a water/methanol injection system and run it. Once installed, I'll have the car tuned by PBD most likely. With that said, I see that Snow Performance has their Stage 2 system and I think that is 50 state legal? Maybe? The Aquamist system is said to be better than Snow's system due to the failsafes in it. If I purchase and install the aquamist one, is that california legal? Or I'm pretty much stuck with the Snow System for California?
Sponsored

Last edited:

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So I live in California and as of this month, I had a Roush Phase 2 installed in my 2016 Mustang GT. I don't trust the 91 octane here in California, I live in Norcal, Redding area and I have no access to e85 anyway. I really don't want engine knock, engine failure from bad gas or timing being pulled.

I want to go with a water/methanol injection system and run it. Once installed, I'll have the car tuned by PBD most likely. With that said, I see that Snow Performance has their Stage 2 system and I think that is 50 state legal? Maybe? The Aquamist system is said to be better than Snow's system due to the failsafes in it. If I purchase and install the aquamist one, is that california legal? Or I'm pretty much stuck with the Snow System for California?
If you're looking for a carb exempt sticker you won't find one on any system by any manufacturer. As far as I know spraying water and/water+meth is not illegal there because it is not used for fuel. Ask @Jackson1320, he knows more about the cali way.

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
If you're looking for a carb exempt sticker you won't find one on any system by any manufacturer. As far as I know spraying water and/water+meth is not illegal there because it is not used for fuel. Ask @Jackson1320, he knows more about the cali way.
Crazy enough after digging, I discovered that one chevron location in a 60 mile radius has e85 and that one station is about 12 miles away from me so perfect. 6 months ago, that wasn't the case when I searched.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I did a little research and came across a Motortrend article talking about diesel water kits and CA CARB EO approval. At the time the article was written, AEM was the only one with a CARB EO number. The article then referenced that they would have to get another CARB EO number for a methanol system.

So if the system or kit doesen't have a CARB EO number. It's my belief that it would not be technically California legal. You could always install one and remove it prior to a SMOG check, which would be simple enough.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1210or-aem-50-state-legal-water-injection-kit/

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I did a little research and came across a Motortrend article talking about diesel water kits and CA CARB EO approval. At the time the article was written, AEM was the only one with a CARB EO number. The article then referenced that they would have to get another CARB EO number for a methanol system.

So if the system or kit doesen't have a CARB EO number. It's my belief that it would not be technically California legal. You could always install one and remove it prior to a SMOG check, which would be simple enough.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/1210or-aem-50-state-legal-water-injection-kit/
yea replacing it with water before smog sounds like a good way to solve the issue. I dug on the web and found a 2006 old forum link where people basically said smog never goes above 2500 rpm and the meth will not kick in at that point so for Cali, it wouldn't be an issue. So obviously it has to be tuned.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
yea replacing it with water before smog sounds like a good way to solve the issue. I dug on the web and found a 2006 old forum link where people basically said smog never goes above 2500 rpm and the meth will not kick in at that point so for Cali, it wouldn't be an issue. So obviously it has to be tuned.
I wouldn't tune for methanol, if you run out ( and you will), it will cause a detonation/fueling problem. You want to tune for 93 with no meth, and use the methanol for overhead.

Also most of them are activated with a pressure switch. So as long as you stay in vacuum of some amount of boost lower than what it's set to engage at you'll be fine.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Crazy enough after digging, I discovered that one chevron location in a 60 mile radius has e85 and that one station is about 12 miles away from me so perfect. 6 months ago, that wasn't the case when I searched.
Go E then baby! Nothing beats having alcohols as primary fueling.

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A

Sponsored

Proshop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang GT
That's what I do, for IAT reduction. Unfortunately my last log didn't record, and probably won't make it back until it is to cold to matter.
What kit do you run and what F/I kit?

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
What kit do you run and what F/I kit?
Snow 2.5, just upgraded to dual nozzle (2x9gph nozzle, probably to much but will see but a single 16 wasn't enough). It starts at 6psi and ramps to 10. Everything else in signature.

OP
OP

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Snow 2.5, just upgraded to dual nozzle (2x9gph nozzle, probably to much but will see but a single 16 wasn't enough). It starts at 6psi and ramps to 10. Everything else in signature.
Did you dyno with e85 separataely and then with e85 and meth kit? It's looking like I'm going to combine both

andrewtac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
F250. 2020 GT 400A
Did you dyno with e85 separataely and then with e85 and meth kit? It's looking like I'm going to combine both
I have not, but next time I go will do some back to back pulls.

Also at the track will even get back to back runs; with the weather cooling down will be able to see affect on power.