Sponsored

CAI IAT Modifications

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I am not discounting wrapping in some type of reflective tape or heat resistant adhesive cloth and may have to take that route. It is just that I believe that there has to be a way to accomplish this with simpler and possibly less time-consuming ways.
It doesn't get any simpler than the tape....that's one of the biggest pros of this product. It's not as nice looking as a professional coating, but it's super easy and quick to apply.

Once you have the parts off, it's as easy as peeling and sticking tape. It took me less than 10 minutes to do the underside of the airbox and the MAF assembly. No prep, no waiting around for things to dry, no second coat etc.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
It doesn't get any simpler than the tape....that's one of the biggest pros of this product. It's not as nice looking as a professional coating, but it's super easy and quick to apply.

Once you have the parts off, it's as easy as peeling and sticking tape. It took me less than 10 minutes to do the underside of the airbox and the MAF assembly. No prep, no waiting around for things to dry, no second coat etc.

Mind posting a couple of pics?

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Bullitt air box seal works well on 15-17
0CAA08B1-E0C1-401B-806F-A3ACB7D2B1AF.jpeg

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Tape =

AD44540B-5BD7-4510-B443-D34587248447.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Here you go.

IMG-5819.jpg

IMG-5820.jpg

IMG-5821.jpg

Thanks for the pics. What changes in IAT were you able to gain with the tape application? I see that you put it in what could be considered the spots with the highest radiant heat exposure. Do you plan to cover any more of the box and ducting?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Thanks for the pics. What changes in IAT were you able to gain with the tape application? I see that you put it in what could be considered the spots with the highest radiant heat exposure. Do you plan to cover any more of the box and ducting?
Cruise or WOT IATs are not too different, I see 3-4* above ambient. However the biggest difference I noticed is how much slower IATs rise while I'm idling around in the pits and how much faster the IATs drop once I get moving. For the amount of effort and cost, I'm happy with the results.

For this unit, I don't plan on doing anymore. Like you mentioned, these were added strategically where the most radiant heating happened. Also since the intake is not really smooth it would look pretty terrible. Maybe if I had a charge pipe like the JLT I would do more.

For reference, on my other car I did alot more coverage simply because it was a smooth intake so easy to apply, and the intake itself as you can see in the picture below sat directly on the radiator so it needed a radiant break.

13633251_10103619716111782_552542690_o.jpg

OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Cruise or WOT IATs are not too different, I see 3-4* above ambient. However the biggest difference I noticed is how much slower IATs rise while I'm idling around in the pits and how much faster the IATs drop once I get moving. For the amount of effort and cost, I'm happy with the results.

For this unit, I don't plan on doing anymore. Like you mentioned, these were added strategically where the most radiant heating happened. Also since the intake is not really smooth it would look pretty terrible. Maybe if I had a charge pipe like the JLT I would do more.

For reference, on my other car I did alot more coverage simply because it was a smooth intake so easy to apply, and the intake itself as you can see in the picture below sat directly on the radiator so it needed a radiant break.

13633251_10103619716111782_552542690_o.jpg
Gotcha. Like I have said previously, I may have to take this direction. It is just that visually it has very little appeal to me. For the time being I am going to keep looking for a spray on solution and little things like the box hood seal. Failing that I may be forced to go the NASA look. Thanks for your input.

Sponsored

MyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
For the time being I am going to keep looking for a spray on solution and little things like the box hood seal. Failing that I may be forced to go the NASA look. Thanks for your input.
Yeah it's not the most pleasing to look at, especially when it's done sloppy. It takes patience and a steady hand to make it look seamless and with no bumps. That's why I limited the amount of tape on places you can see. Down below on the bottom of the airbox noone will ever see even if I'm showing off the engine bay to onlookers. Initially I was only going to do it at the very bottom where it's closest to the corner of the head, but I had extra and decided I didn't care too much about aesthetics and did almost the entire box.

If looks are important to you, you may want to go with the GT500 lid I linked previously. It's OEM clean and simple, and I'm sure you can find it for cheaper used than from a dealer.

OP
OP

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Yes, had to trim the front hold down bolt tab and drill a new hole on the GT350 box.
IMG_2680.jpg
OK, so the seal is attached to a plastic piece that attaches to the top of the 350 airbox?
Sponsored