Sponsored

Buybacks

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
My question pertains to Buyback cars... how is the market treating these? In reality, I would think they are coming back improved. But is that really the case? Is there really a difference between a FMCO buyback and one that's had a new engine through regular warranty?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
It all depends upon the dealer in some cases. There are dealerships that actively work with Ford to purchase buy backs and resell. In most cases there was an engine replacement, but not all. It is a roll of the dice in a way as you cannot guarantee that the car is 100% right after the work. Anytime you replace a major part there can be additional issues. They usually come with an additional warranty added but it's not as significant as the deals that some private owners negotiate with ford when they have an engine replacement and decide to keep the vehicle...

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
Thanks. I want a GT350 so bad (for my track toy), but have seen so many with replacement engines, whether buyback or not. Can't see myself pulling a plug on "lemon" car, but in some cases it might be a improved package. Piece of mind is a concern.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
Here we go,,,,,,, again. This thread is headed for :ontheloo:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yep - and another new user. I call BS.

Sponsored

460Fred

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 GT350 (sold)
My question pertains to Buyback cars... how is the market treating these? In reality, I would think they are coming back improved. But is that really the case? Is there really a difference between a FMCO buyback and one that's had a new engine through regular warranty?
I would ask those who have had engines replaced.
Did you ever see ā€œThe World According to Garpā€?
ā€Weā€™ll take it. What are the odds of it happening againā€ comes To mind.

lonegunman

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I love beating this dead horse.....................................again..............................and again.....................................and again. If you don't wanna buy one, don't.

"You've seen so many", Really? Hundreds or maybe thousands upon thousands? Or maybe 5?

Ford refuses to "buyback" most engine replaced cars.....................go check the other 354 my engine blew up threads posted by the 34 guys who had their engine fail. Out of 21,000 or so cars built, a few hundred engine failures, mostly due to valve train issues or bad valves and no one who did not modify their car was denied a FREE engine replacement and if they asked for it, an extended warranty to 80 or 100K miles and 8 years. No exotic european car with a flat plane crank motor would dare offer an 80K drive train warranty.

Honestly, get a Miata. You get 145 horses, then engine won't blow and it is mildly fast for a "track car" and you can be the guy on food stamps who loves to race. No engine worries. Just buy some of those $97 dollar 14in racing tires and go carting. It's cheap, fun and if the engine blows it is the size of a sewing machine, easy to swap.

Montoya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
^8,000 miles later my engine replacement is troublefree. No worries and the work done frankly fixed some issues with the factory build like hose clamps, incomplete wiring retaining straps etc. Plus extended warranty and maintenance plan to make it right. Happy so far, knock on wood!

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Let's not be too hard on the OP.... some of us have heard the concerns before, but others may be new to the forum and need reassurance. it's the bane of internet news and social media.. everything is overblown and made to look worse that it is. Glad to hear your enjoying your R Andre.... I followed your thread and was hoping for a good outcome.
I don't mean to discourage the original poster by my previous reply... I would say that in most cases a buyback can be an ok thing; I guess you are taking a chance no matter whether you buy new, used, or a buy back.. there are no guarantees, but my experience from listening to the stories of guys on this forum is that Ford is taking care of the people who may have issues.

mroad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 HEP
OP, buyback cars can be a great deal. My car will soon go into the buyback inventory (pretty much hit the lemon law day limit and the car is still at the shop for engine replacement). My experience with Ford customer service has been stellar so far. I believe the car will be a great deal if one is ok with a Lemon Title. Almost new 2020 GT350 HEP with 720 miles, brand new engine, and more importantly, $3600 in paint protection:
  1. Full body paint correction.
  2. Almost 40% of the car is wrapped in XPel Ultimately Plus, including front bumper, trunk, front side fenders, rocker panels, the rear trunk black panel, mirrors, headlights, and the wing. 10 years warranty.
  3. Full body, including on PPF and wheels, Ceramic Pro Gold Package with 10 years warranty (it's in the CarFax record).
Once I surrender the car to the dealer, I'll share details and the VIN in my thread so that those interested can hunt it down. Mostly likely it will be auctioned to a dealer who is authorized to sell RAV cars in another state.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I haven't researched this, but I suggest you should do that and report back. I'm interested in the answer too.

OP
OP

BierGut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F-150
I haven't researched this, but I suggest you should do that and report back. I'm interested in the answer too.
And that is what I am in the process of doing. Good suggestion.

Well at least there is some consolation there are a few rational folks here... some of you really know how to make a new guy feel welcome... thanks for that.

My question in the original post stands -- does anyone not wanting to flex their anonymous internet muscles have some thoughts on why Ford buys some cars back and others they just proceed with replacing the engines? Is it more about what the owner of the car wants or is it something Ford decides? Are all buybacks 100% corrected? (I am currently considering a '17 that has had the engine replaced)

To those of you with considerate replies -- I thank you.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
State law and circumstances are the big differences in buy backs. Some states have anti-business laws that allow you to force a buy back with very little issue.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Well at least there is some consolation there are a few rational folks here... some of you really know how to make a new guy feel welcome... thanks for that.

My question in the original post stands -- does anyone not wanting to flex their anonymous internet muscles have some thoughts on why Ford buys some cars back and others they just proceed with replacing the engines? Is it more about what the owner of the car wants or is it something Ford decides? Are all buybacks 100% corrected? (I am currently considering a '17 that has had the engine replaced)

I admit, I was a little harsh. The recent history is that there always seems to be a new account backing up someone elses questionable claims....so maybe the paranoia level is a little amp'd up, my apologies.

I would say that in the case of the car above, for example, there's nothing wrong with it other than the owner doesn't want a new car that has been operated on so early in its life. I can see that concern but also could see a potential value and bargaining chip for a new owner who would be interested in that car. In a way, it's nice to get that first rock chip or other blemish out of the way and move on to enjoying the car ;)

I wouldn't be so fast to move on a lemon car that you don't know the history of. I'd want to know how long it sat and where...inspect closely for lot damage (because people just don't pay attention or care when it's not their car in for service).... For cars that purely just had an engine replacement and at low miles, those I think would be the best deal and safest, too.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

A Ford RAV Buy Back is based on:

1) Lemon Law provisions as outlined in each of the 50 States. Ford does not deviate from the State Lemon Laws, they adhere to them.

2) The vehicle must meet the criteria and provisions of the State Lemon Law in order to be considered AND qualify.

3) The Owner MUST allow the vehicle to be repaired based on their Home Stateā€™s Lemon Laws. They canā€™t just dump the car because they donā€™t like it or they donā€™t agree with XYZ. All Lemon Laws state that the Owner must give the vehicle Manufacturer the opportunity to repair the vehicle, regardless of how long that repair takes.

4) Aside from #3 above - some State Lemon Laws say that the owner cannot make a claim UNLESS the vehicle hits a 3 or 4 strike rule for reasonable amount of repair attempts for the same repair.

5) 30-Calendar Days in a year OR 30-consecutive days rule. Each State has different provisions regarding this part of the Lemon Law. In either instance and regardless of repair attempts OR if the repair has not even been completed, if the vehicle has met or exceeded the ā€œ30 day ruleā€, the vehicle qualifies for instant Lemon Law Buy Back.

6) Now even if the vehicle meets some of the above, most Lemon Laws stipulate that the Owner must also make the claim within 12 Mos/24k miles or 24Mos/24k miles of the PURCHASE date. So if the time is surpassed the criteria, usually the claim will be denied.

7) In some States, the Lemon Buy Back has fee and usage penalties. Depending on when the first instance of a warranty repair was reported (miles in) and if the Lemon Claim is based on that concern - the penalty could be costly because itā€™s a formula based on the Stateā€™s fee $$$ penalty per mile used.

8) The Ford RAV Buy Back process is tedious, itā€™s stressful and some folks just donā€™t have the patience for it or to even go through with the whole ordeal. Theyā€™ll let the car be repaired and take (if offered) any compensation from the Ford CSR who is working their Case for the warranty work.

The final decision as you see if based on many, many variables and this is why there is no exact answer to your question regarding why or why not a vehicle is a Buy Back or not.

The Owner, even after initiating a Buy Back also has final say. They can cancel the Buy Back claim and keep the vehicle OR not.

One other thing to note and itā€™s better if you do a search on here because there is a LOT of info on the subject matter:

If a Shelby (any modern year or model) has an engine replaced, itā€™s no longer a numbers matched Shelby. To some, not everyone, but to true die hard Shelby Enthusiasts, itā€™s a turn off AND itā€™s harder to sell that car in the future.

Search this site for the following key terms:
Ford RAV
Buy Back
Lemon
Lemon Law
MSRP Buy Back or Refund

Iā€™ve posted a wealth of factual info regarding the Buy Back and Shelby engine replacement subject matter - youā€™ll learn a lot and youā€™ll better understand why (or why not) a Ford Buy Back may not be the best interest for SOME.

YES, you can get a good deal, thereā€™s no doubt. However, the VIN will also be flagged as a Lemon for life, period. It will come up in title searches, VIN reporting agencies, it will be documented in Ford OASIS/ETIS, Insurance industry databases and any DMV record. With that said, itā€™s harder to sell a ā€œLemonā€ down the road or even to trade it in. Some folks donā€™t care, to others that aspect alone is the deciding factor in buying a Lemonā€™d vehicle at a great price.
Sponsored

Last edited: