Sponsored

Burning clutch with line lock

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
You are supposed to dump the clutch not feather it. Plus you said you have done burn outs without line lock so you knew foot off the clutch when doing it.
Also 3 failed attempts burnout and your clutch is toast? How long did you slipped the clutch before you notice the wheels are not spinning?
Were you like this guy?
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
7thlighter

7thlighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
You are supposed to dump the clutch not feather it. Plus you said you have done burn outs without line lock so you knew foot off the clutch when doing it.
Also 3 failed attempts burnout and your clutch is toast? How long did you slipped the clutch before you notice the wheels are not spinning?
Were you like this guy?

In summary of all my posts related to this thread; Clutch is fine, I was over cautious at first due to the amount of money I spent on the car, I now enjoy thrilling burnouts anytime I wish....

OP
OP
7thlighter

7thlighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't the line-lock automatically defeat the TCS once engaged? Haven't tried mine . Don't plan on it till tire time.
I dont turn off traction control. I just engage line lock and smoke the tires. Works perfectly everytime.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
TCS should auto deactivate when using line lock, but I don't pull out of the driveway unless advancetrac is deactivated. As for a super charger setup it depends on how you want to go. Plenty of good options. But then again I see you are a left coaster. So your options on going boosted and remaining C.A.R.B. compliant. Otherwise I would recommend Whipple or VMP in a PD option. I have no personal experience with centri setups. I like my meat grinders. See what Terry at Teambeefcakeracing can do for you out there.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I dont turn off traction control. I just engage line lock and smoke the tires. Works perfectly everytime.
A car with traction control turned on is like a bike with training wheels.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn't the line-lock automatically defeat the TCS once engaged? Haven't tried mine . Don't plan on it till tire time.
Yes, but it will re-engage when you finish the linelock and will roast your clutch a bit if you try to ride it out. If you turn TC off you can keep the throttle pinned and then drive away with the wheels already turning when the timer stops.

OP
OP
7thlighter

7thlighter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Vehicle Showcase
TCS should auto deactivate when using line lock, but I don't pull out of the driveway unless advancetrac is deactivated. As for a super charger setup it depends on how you want to go. Plenty of good options. But then again I see you are a left coaster. So your options on going boosted and remaining C.A.R.B. compliant. Otherwise I would recommend Whipple or VMP in a PD option. I have no personal experience with centri setups. I like my meat grinders. See what Terry at Teambeefcakeracing can do for you out there.
Thanks, I didnt know Beefcake was out here on the commie side of our great nation....I'll see what my options are.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Yes, but it will re-engage when you finish the linelock and will roast your clutch a bit if you try to ride it out. If you turn TC off you can keep the throttle pinned and then drive away with the wheels already turning when the timer stops.
I don't get how is that even possible if your foot is off the clutch pedal. It might cut down power and you will move very slowly or stall.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thanks, I didnt know Beefcake was out here on the commie side of our great nation....I'll see what my options are.
He's not. But he's accessible just like AR or Brand "B" or LMR or any other internet dealer.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I don't get how is that even possible if your foot is off the clutch pedal. It might cut down power and you will move very slowly or stall.
I doesn't. Unfortunately, I know from experience. The wheel speeds are drastically different and TC grabs the rear brakes hard, which slips the clutch a bunch. I had a some takeoff chatter for 2 days after. If TC is off you'll just accelerate away.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Or press OK before the 15 second timer stops to release earlier.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I doesn't. Unfortunately, I know from experience. The wheel speeds are drastically different and TC grabs the rear brakes hard, which slips the clutch a bunch. I had a some takeoff chatter for 2 days after. If TC is off you'll just accelerate away.
That isn't possible if your clutch is in working order and TC grabs the rear brakes there is no way the clutch will be slipping.
If your clutch is doing that, your clutch is toast.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That isn't possible if your clutch is in working order and TC grabs the rear brakes there is no way the clutch will be slipping.
If your clutch is doing that, your clutch is toast.
Try a 2nd gear line lock and then press OK after a 5-8 seconds it while you have your foot to the floor at >6000 rpm. There's enough momentum in the powertrain (that's effectively moving at the equivalent of 65-70 mph in my case) that jamming on the brakes will slip the clutch.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
It's always best to do a line lock burn out after rolling through some water btw. That is why they have burn out boxes with water in them at the track to aid in getting the tires moving. Think about it. If you note line lock is under TRACK APPS....and for a reason. It's not just to protect Ford's assets though that is one of the reasons. You will also notice in red the words "TRACK USE ONLY" on the LCD display when line lock is selected. With auto's there is a bit more cushion with regard to doing a burnout dry with line lock activated. With the manual the clutch is the weakest link with very little give in comparison.

I'm not bringing this up from a legal pinhead standpoint of view. Hell I break infractions as well as many others and I am not attempting to be hypocritical in any way. I am simply expressing that line locks were designed with track use in mind when they were first conceived by old timer hot rodders looking to find a way to maximize the use of the burnout at the track......or even on the street using water or other substances to assist in the rubber heating process. Heck I knew one guy who hooked up a second washer bottle on his car and ran tubing back to just in front of the rear tires so he could spray down water and roll through it to do a proper line lock burnout when he was racing. For show he'd add some bleach for more smoke effect. Phil was a nut! R.I.P. 9/8/2008 my old buddy and pal from Nashville, TN. You are missed and not forgotten...I GARE-OWN-DAMN-TEE IT.:beer:
Sponsored