Sponsored

Bumper cover touchup

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
My "Mint" Auto Sales 2016 GT came with a thumbnail size damaged spot and a tail-like crack extending a few inches on the rear bumper cover. It's directly below the license plate. I have no idea what the previous owner did to cause this but in my time I've done some things to my cars that make me cringe (e.g. hung a shovel on a rack right beside my several months old 1995 Mustang GT with the predictable outcome). The trunk panel is no prize either but that's a issue for another day. Is something this size able to be addressed DIY using light sanding, touch-up paint and clear coat? I'm not looking for perfection, just make it less out-there in your face noticeable.

I'm hoping to avoid having to get the entire bumper cover professionally re-sprayed. Then of course the paint shop will say they need to blend the newly painted bumper cover into the quarter panels but then the doors won't blend nor will the front fenders or hood or front bumper cover or roof. Sorry sir, properly fixing this thumbnail size monstrosity will set you back about $5K.

BumperCovera - Copy.jpg

BumperCoverb - Copy.jpg

BumperCoverc - Copy.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ah, screw it. I'm just going to have at fixing it myself. If I make a mess of it, it's really no worse off than it is now. No guts, no glory.

Way back in high school, I had a 1973 Mustang fastback with a booming 140 horsepower 302 and 4 speed. But it had long tube headers, an aftermarket intake and a 4 barrel carb so I bet it was really pushing closer to 150 HP. It had so much bondo holding it together it was a challenge to find a spot on the body where a magnet would stick. Still, it sure beat taking the bus to/from school!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If it were me, Iā€™d just source another factory bumper cover the same color and swap it out. Usually can find them on eBay or most salvage yards and the color would be factory so the shade of red should match pretty well.

dirtwarrior

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 3.7 mustang
Fix it with touch up

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
Take a look at dr color chip !!! Check out you tube? I hope it works out well for you

Sponsored

17MagMetal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT, 07 Ford Taurus SE, 95 F250 Xlt
The right way is to take it in for a respray.

I personally would take some 2000 grit and knock down all the sharp edges and then tape generously around the spots to take some 2k spray clear.

The bumperā€™s already beat to bits and these Mustangā€™s wonā€™t be concours cars.

OP
OP
Canuckican

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few days ago I ordered the Squirt ā€˜n Squeegee Plus Kit from Dr. Colorchip. It's supposed to get here on Saturday. There are several small stone chips I'll start out trying to fix first and then move on to the pimple on Oliver's six. If I can get it to be at least less noticeable from 50 feet away, that's good enough for now. If not, I'll probably look at having it professionally corrected.

I am thinking about swapping out the tiny OEM rear spoiler and would really like to find one like the stock one on my 1995 GT or 2004 GT, just a modest pedestal spoiler. Or even a new CS style one. But then I'd have the problem of the trunk lid holes not being covered and either getting the holes filled on this trunk lid or find a trunk lid from a spoiler delete car and then get that one sprayed Race Red. Next thing you know I'm into it for more than $1K for the trunk lid, painting the trunk lid plus buying the spoiler itself. No thanks. Then I think that maybe one like the PP1 would suffice. Not too ostentatious plus I don't have to worry about trunk lid holes since the PP1 style is supposed to use the stock holes. At least that's what I read.

And the digital gauge cluster swap looks pretty sweet too, pony up $1,500 to $2K all in.

But with this GT finally being well sorted (painful journey!) and good to hop in and cruise, maybe I should just hop in and cruise and let the car alone. Damn I love to tinker.

But I also hope to have an older Mustang again before I get too much older myself so maybe keep this one as is for a few years, then sell it and find a 69-70 fastback (but $$$) or (more likely) a 67-68 coupe.
Sponsored