Bullitt Sequel?

MartyM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt Mustang
New generation of moviegoers. "Hey, we're going to see this new movie: Bullitt."
This is not an uncommon conversation, especially with younger folks (no offense to them; they simply don't know.)
I've been approached by young folk while getting in or out of my DHG 2020 Bullitt at least 10x the past 2 years. When mentioning it is a Tribute to Steve McQueen and the car he drove for the most iconic movie chase scene, I get confused looks or asked who is Steve McQueen? The answer used to be he was a famous action movie star like John Wayne.* At which, who is John Wayne? Now I say watch YouTube video of Bullitt chase scene.

* Why did our generation know who were Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, et al? Maybe if today's generation ever looked up from their stupidphones they'd be culturally enriched.
Sponsored

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
I do watch the latest films, but I've also reached an age where I appreciate a lot of the older movies. They aren't five hours long. They haven't been digitally enhanced or manipulated. And it's nice to see a film with simple, straight acting. It's also hilarious watching a movie where the only technology is a dial rotary phone, people wear suits and dresses everywhere and how much people smoked. How did we survive it all.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
I take a bit of solace in the fact that Bullitt is Hollywood OG and so it Spielberg. If anyone today can do it right, it should be him.

Wishful thinking maybe…

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
So I open a "Bullitt Sequel?" thread and stupid advertisement puts a picture of what appears to be a Bronco interior with Highland Green trim. I almost had a heart attack :brokenheart:

1669134595509.png

it took a few moments to figure out that it's a Defender and the thread is about upcoming movie. jeeesh

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
New generation of moviegoers.

"Hey, we're going to see this new movie: Bullitt."

"Cool...Cool."

"Yea, it's getting good reviews."

"Have you seen the original?"

"There's an original???"

This is not an uncommon conversation, especially with younger folks (no offense to them; they simply don't know.) If made, I hope the sequel is respectful to the first and does well. I see they are consulting with the family. If discussing with anyone, I'll be sure to advise them to seek out and view the original first.
Had a similar conversation at the gym with a couple younger guys about the Netflix show Dahmer. We're talking about something new to watch and they were telling me how great the show was and I should check it out. I replied, I know the story, I've seen many true documentaries about him and not really interested in rehashing it. They looked at me like I was crazy and I was thinking the same thing. The way there were talking made it seem it was all new info to them. They were in their mid 20s, I'm 44.

Sponsored

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
You have to remember that Dahmer was made famous in the early 90's, 30 years ago! People today who are younger than say 35 or 40, wouldn't remember anything about the case, and even if they do, they wouldn't connect the name with the controversy, terror, outrage, and media circus that surrounded him at that time. It's a different generation now, and they have their own perspective on the world around them, which obviously didn't exist before they got here 🙄

coz0502

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
You have to remember that Dahmer was made famous in the early 90's, 30 years ago! People today who are younger than say 35 or 40, wouldn't remember anything about the case, and even if they do, they wouldn't connect the name with the controversy, terror, outrage, and media circus that surrounded him at that time. It's a different generation now, and they have their own perspective on the world around them, which obviously didn't exist before they got here 🙄
That was my point, they basically made me feel OLD!

RagmopInKona

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang HHP
I've been approached by young folk while getting in or out of my DHG 2020 Bullitt at least 10x the past 2 years. When mentioning it is a Tribute to Steve McQueen and the car he drove for the most iconic movie chase scene, I get confused looks or asked who is Steve McQueen? The answer used to be he was a famous action movie star like John Wayne.* At which, who is John Wayne? Now I say watch YouTube video of Bullitt chase scene.

* Why did our generation know who were Errol Flynn, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, et al? Maybe if today's generation ever looked up from their stupidphones they'd be culturally enriched.
Maybe because they are not interested in older movies.
Just like they are not into the music of the 20-30-40-50-60,etc. And you most likely don't like today's music or the movies that are based in the interests of younger folks.
Outside of car guys/gals that are 40+ I'd not expect many to know or care who Steve McQueen is. or a car from a movie before their time.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Just keep in mind that besides the chase screen and, of course, Steve, the rest of the movie was just so-so.
Indeed. My opinion exactly. Cool hero, sexy heroine, cool car and car chase, but the rest was average at best.
But when I dared say it so bluntly on this forum, I did upset quite a few people. :cwl:

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Indeed. My opinion exactly. Cool hero, sexy heroine, cool car and car chase, but the rest was average at best.
But when I dared say it so loud and clear on these forums, I did upset quite a few people. :cwl:
It's certainly a movie that hasn't aged well. I bought the DVD back in 2019 when the car came out (I had an old video tape the no longer worked). I still enjoyed it but Steven has his work cut out for him to make this a real Spielberg movie.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Anyway, whoever is going to play Frank Bullitt will have a damn hard job to do. Steve McQueen has set the bar really high.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
My understanding is it’s a sequel to the original movie and not a remake. That’s likely to exclude a high power chase scene that duplicates the original.
Sponsored