17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hi all,

Picked up a 2019 Bullitt a few days ago with 36,000 on the dash. Driving the two hours home, I put the car on cruise control. I wanted to slow down and so I depressed the brake pedal, but the cruise control didn’t deactivate. It turns out that the cruise control won’t deactivate until I brake pretty hard. The brake lights also won’t come on until I brake hard. It seems like a brake switch issue, has anyone had experience with this?

I also noticed on the ride home that my brakes are making a pulsating squealing sound. My wheel has a slight vibration when driving but it doesn’t vibrate worse when braking. It doesn’t matter if the brakes are up to temp or cold, or if I am depressing the brake pedal or not, the brakes are making noise. It seems to be coming from the front left brake, but not sure. Will get the car on jack stands this weekend and check. The car has aftermarket drilled rotors and I suspect it also came with high performance pads, which might contribute to the noise. However, it is the pulsating effect that confuses me. I hear it the most going slow, but the noise is heard at all speeds and whether braking or not. It is also intermittent, sometimes I don’t hear anything and other times it sounds like a junkyard car. I did a “re-bedding” procedure, 5 braking events of 50 to 10, but the noise actually seemed to get a good bit worse after the procedure

Additionally, my parking brake makes groaning noises whenever it is engaged and I move inside the car, open the door, etc. It sounds like a loose parking brake to me, but again will have to check this weekend. I wonder if it’s somehow connected to the brake sound?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
Sounds like a bad brake switch regarding the brake
light and cruise control issue. Maybe the switch needs to reseated.
The pulsating and noise, sounds to be a warped rotors. The rotors can also be out of round and/or have cracks in it. Sounds like it was driven very hard, before you got your hands on it.

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
These things are not Bullitt specific, check the rest of the forum for this.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Sounds like a bad brake switch regarding the brake
light and cruise control issue. Maybe the switch needs to reseated.
The pulsating and noise, sounds to be a warped rotors. The rotors can also be out of round and/or have cracks in it. Sounds like it was driven very hard, before you got your hands on it.
Based on other things I’ve noticed, it does seem the car was driven pretty hard. I originally thought the front left brake might be the issue, but now I’m suspecting the rear left rotor with your advice. I have no pulsating through the steering, which means it’s probably not one of the front wheels.

Edited to add the front rotors are the only ones drilled, which makes me think the rear rotors might still be OEM.

Last edited:

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
the issue is most certainly to do with the fluid. i'd flush it real good then try again. if things persist throw computer on it if it isn't obvious that there is a mechanical issue with the calipers.

order of operations:
1. fluid
2. check calipers for mechanical issues
3. check with a computer

Sponsored

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Based on other things I’ve noticed, it does seem the car was driven pretty hard. I originally thought the front left brake might be the issue, but now I’m suspecting the rear left rotor with your advice. I have no pulsating through the steering, which means it’s probably not one of the front wheels.

Edited to add the front rotors are the only ones drilled, which makes me think the rear rotors might still be OEM.
The noises would annoy me. I go through brake pads pretty quick and one of my rotors got warped recently. So I bit the "Bullitt" and swapped over to 2 piece rotors, Z26 brake pads and flushed the brake fluid. To me that was a worthy upgrade for my Bullitt.

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
the issue is most certainly to do with the fluid. i'd flush it real good then try again. if things persist throw computer on it if it isn't obvious that there is a mechanical issue with the calipers.

order of operations:
1. fluid
2. check calipers for mechanical issues
3. check with a computer
Forgive my ignorance, and I don’t mean this in a negative way, but how would brake fluid cause this issue? My pedal is pretty firm when I use the brakes, so I don’t think there’s air in the system. Are you referring to the fluid possibly getting hot from a previous track day and messing up the fluid?

Also snellemin, is the Z26 kit noisy at all? I had a Z26 kit on my 440i and it would let out an occasional noise but wasn’t really an issue. I’m looking for a good daily brake kit, so would the Z23 be better?

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgive my ignorance, and I don’t mean this in a negative way, but how would brake fluid cause this issue? My pedal is pretty firm when I use the brakes, so I don’t think there’s air in the system. Are you referring to the fluid possibly getting hot from a previous track day and messing up the fluid?

Also snellemin, is the Z26 kit noisy at all? I had a Z26 kit on my 440i and it would let out an occasional noise but wasn’t really an issue. I’m looking for a good daily brake kit, so would the Z23 be better?
The Z26 isn't noisy at all on my ride. I look at the Z23 as the ceramic pads you get at Autozone, which I use on my other cars. Those have a slightly smoother pedal engagement vs the Z26. But my other cars and suv don't have the kinda power the Bullitt has, hence why I went with the Z26. Daily driving with the Z26 isn't bad at all. Way better vs the Brembo pads that comes with the car.

For brake fluid replacement I used the Motul RBF 600 Dot-4 and used a whole 500ml bottle.

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
If your vibration does not change with brakes on or off, check wheel bearings and suspension bushings. Possibly the driveline and/or axles too.

I've seen drilled rotors come apart on the racetrack. Not pretty.

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang

maybe i misread. so replace the brake light switch and maybe be done with it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
If your vibration does not change with brakes on or off, check wheel bearings and suspension bushings. Possibly the driveline and/or axles too.

I've seen drilled rotors come apart on the racetrack. Not pretty.
Was suspecting wheel bearings too. And thank you snellemin for the brake and fluid recommendations. I will check the car this weekend.
As an aside, does anyone know what this is? It’s on the bottom side of the strut brace.

BC4F11ED-6FE2-4F45-A5E1-4EAD1F2D3E5C.jpeg

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Was suspecting wheel bearings too. And thank you snellemin for the brake and fluid recommendations. I will check the car this weekend.
As an aside, does anyone know what this is? It’s on the bottom side of the strut brace.

BC4F11ED-6FE2-4F45-A5E1-4EAD1F2D3E5C.jpeg
It is an accumulator for the clutch. Someone likely installed a twin disc clutch, and it limits the travel of the throw out bearing so as not to hyper extend the pressure plate springs.

https://ramclutches.com/hydraulics-accessories-repair-parts/

OP
OP
17gt_charlotte

17gt_charlotte

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aidan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Wow thank you for finding it so quick!
Do you feel a dead spot at the top of the clutch pedal travel? Like 2-3 inches of no resistance?
Sponsored