Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
That's true. I haven't heard of anybody cracking a sleeve but I've heard of stock gen 2 cracking the block at the head bolts with the stock 11mm bolts.
If they cracked a sleeve that would be a reason for the sleeve to be replaced but to just replace them every 3 years. There needs to be a reason and I don’t know of any reason why you would need to every 3 years. If they don’t get damaged they can last 100 years
Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
If they cracked a sleeve that would be a reason for the sleeve to be replaced but to just replace them every 3 years. There needs to be a reason and I don’t know of any reason why you would need to every 3 years. If they don’t get damaged they can last 100 years
Soo what's wrong with the gen 3 coyote blocks again? They come with the 12mm headbolts already? And so do the gen 1 blocks. What's wrong with the gen 1? They both seem better then the gen2 but everybody says the gen 2 block is better

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Stock 11mm headbolts

Screenshot_20210414-064857_Messages.jpg

Screenshot_20210413-095924_Instagram.jpg
I’m willing to bet that something else caused the crack or a few things together caused the crack. Bad or loose head bolts, block that has got hot at some time or hot then cooled down fast like adding cool water when the engine is still warm. I have a hard time believing that the shorter smaller head bolts cracked the block

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Soo what's wrong with the gen 3 coyote blocks again? They come with the 12mm headbolts already? And so do the gen 1 blocks. What's wrong with the gen 1? They both seem better then the gen2 but everybody says the gen 2 block is better
Gen3 block can have the plasma coating in the cylinder chip break flak off and loose compression but with newer blocks this almost never happens anymore. The gen3 shortblock is the way I would go if I did another for myself. With rods and pistons

Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Gen3 block can have the plasma coating in the cylinder chip break flak off and loose compression but with newer blocks this almost never happens anymore. The gen3 shortblock is the way I would go if I did another for myself. With rods and pistons
Sooo... lol.... that tick noise has nothing to do with the block??.. manly the pistions? Sorry for so many questions..

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I know how the head bolts work.
The stock bolts don’t fill all the threads leaving empty space. The heads are held on with only the threads that the bolts can reach. The stock bolts also stretch and move. Head studs fill all the threads and help strengthen the block. The heads are held down by a stud that spreads the load through all the threads and block because it reaches all available threads. Studs don’t stretch as much and don’t move

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
Sooo... lol.... that tick noise has nothing to do with the block??.. manly the pistions? Sorry for so many questions..
The tick is pistons moving around in the bore. About .004-.006 too much pistons to wall clearance. That is why a oil additive can normally take care of it. They thicken the oil and coats the cylinder enough to fill the.004-.006

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I talked to RPG yesterday. They said they don't do water jacket supports anymore. He said they can crack the block. Also said they're a pain in the ass to install. It's not worth the risk. He also said he stands by the gen 3 motor over the gen2 but I'm more concerned about that plasma stuff they spray in the cylinder walls of thr gen3. He said gen 3 are stronger blocks
Supports do not hurt the block in any way unless you have no idea what you are doing when you install them. All they do is connect the cylinders to the outer part of the block making it more like one solid piece of aluminum. They are very very very easy to install. The aluminum block just slides into the water jacket and then you tap them down with a mallet. The set screws just keep the block in place, they do not do any of the work. If you over tighten the set screws then you have a chance of causing a weak spot and possibly cracking the block. Done correctly they significantly increase the strength of the block

Sponsored
OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
What about the gen 1 block?
Probably a stupid question but... if I get sleeves in a gen 3 motor.. I won't have to worry about the plasma coating in the cylinder because the machine shop hones out the cylinder walls then drops in the sleeves... right?

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
The tick is pistons moving around in the bore. About .004-.006 too much pistons to wall clearance. That is why a oil additive can normally take care of it. They thicken the oil and coats the cylinder enough to fill the.004-.006
has Anyone tried a thicker oil to see if tick stops?

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
What about the gen 1 block?

Probably a stupid question but... if I get sleeves in a gen 3 motor.. I won't have to worry about the plasma coating in the cylinder because the machine shop hones out the cylinder walls then drops in the sleeves... right?
Gen1 block is just as good as a gen2 if both have block supports. Gen1 would sometimes drop a sleeve ( sleeve move in the bore) then the sleeve would need to be replaced or the complete block sleeved.

A gen3 sleeved would not have any plasma coating. Correct