Sponsored

BREITLING, ROLEX, TUDOR, OMEGA, anybody into high end watches?

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I agree with the watch upper limits, my Breitling Chronomat that my wife gave me was/is my dream watch and I would not buy anything else even if I was a millionaire. IMO at some point, a watch is just a watch and above that they become jewelry.

Sad part is, a $10 digital is far more accurate than even the certified B01 movement that is in my Breitling!

Also, 99% of the time I wear my Chase Durer UDT 1000XL (ie....the Burn Notice watch), which is far harder to find than the Breitling. Part of me says leave it in the box as it is in collector condition but, it's just too nice to not wear.
I agree 100%
Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I agree 100%
We all like watches and cars, but I honestly feel Iā€™d be happier as a person donating the money Iā€™d spend on a Rolex to my favorite dog rescue.

OP
OP
ClayDee

ClayDee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LB 2018 GT350
We all like watches and cars, but I honestly feel Iā€™d be happier as a person donating the money Iā€™d spend on a Rolex to my favorite dog rescue.

That's definitely a good cause!

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
It's the 310.30.42.50.01.002.
OK, that's the standard Moonwatch with the sapphire front and back crystals. That's the one
I want but I may decide to go with the original Hesalite crystal (sapphire would crack in space).

And they're appreciating like crazy right now (especially the Rolexes).
Be careful, most watches, unless they are special editions to not grow in value. The issues right now are production limited by supply issues due to Covid. This will eventually clear up.

Rolex's are a different story. The rise in cost is has been artificially created. Rolex makes x number of watches a year, period. The demand has been high but Rolex refused to address it. On top of that they force AD's to take low demand watches in order to get the high demand ones. AD's then sell off the unwanted models to the gray markets. Wash, rinse & repeat.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Lots of opinions as its a personal vibe what watch you prefer.

For respect of watch afficianados - automatic mechanical movement.
Next is heritage of manufacturer.

Guys dont have much in the lines of jewelry, and a watch is a reflection of your taste in mens jewelry. Timekeeping is secondary. How it feels on the wrist and how you feel wearing it ,,, all parts of the experience. Guys should have at least one premium timepiece.

Rolex had a great heritage till it became an expensive status symbol. You cant wear one now without someone asking if its a replica. Has ruined the brand for me.

Omega have a great heritage in race event timing, and a quality design and materials. Its my personal favorite and I go back and forth over crono vs basic movement

Id also consider a Tudor black bay with the rough leather bundt strap.

Tag have a few nice mechanical chronos in a reasonable price range. When Heuer came on board and diversified into making quartz watches the brand lost respect. Its been gaining it back slowly.

No others Ive seen appeal to me and/or are takeoffs of omega and rolex styling, ... not there arent many great brands ... just not for me.

smart watches in general are gimicky and like all technology become obsolete with the next iteration. Not at all an investment. My omegas have doubled in the last 10 years. Not watches should be considered an investment .. but in reality - thats been my fortunate experience as long as the brand remains popular.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Rolex had a great heritage till it became an expensive status symbol. You cant wear one now without someone asking if its a replica. Has ruined the brand for me.
Why? Who gives a shit what others say. I buy a watch (or anything else for that matter) for me not someone else.

Funny thing though, I own a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red. It is a Swiss made homage to the Rolex 1680. People always assume that it's a real Rolex. I just laugh and tell them its a knockoff.

nustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT, performance pak, active exhaust
Why? Who gives a shit what others say. I buy a watch (or anything else for that matter) for me not someone else.

Funny thing though, I own a Steinhart Ocean One Vintage Red. It is a Swiss made homage to the Rolex 1680. People always assume that it's a real Rolex. I just laugh and tell them its a knockoff.
I get your point, and thats certainly true. You buy it because something draws you to it.

I just got tired of hearing it personally, and dumped it, not only for that, but
I change one up every so often cause you get tired of the same old. Believe it or not, even a Rolex gets stale after a while.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Rolex's are a different story. The rise in cost is has been artificially created. Rolex makes x number of watches a year, period. The demand has been high but Rolex refused to address it. On top of that they force AD's to take low demand watches in order to get the high demand ones. AD's then sell off the unwanted models to the gray markets. Wash, rinse & repeat.
All of the Rolexes in my photo are new (except for the wife's), gray market purchased from Capetown Diamond in Roswell, GA. I paid slightly above AD price for both the Explorer II and the black Air King. The Explorer II has shot up like SpaceX, not much with the Air King. Doesn't matter since I'm a collector and not a trader.

I actually turned down a Milgauss about 6-8 months ago from an AD (Ben Bridge) in Thousand Oaks, CA. This was before I knew about the art of "cultivating" an AD. I could kick myself now because I had some excess $ and it wouldn't have pinched me. I just didn't want the watch at the time because I didn't like the looks of it. Like I said, back then I didn't even know there was a game, let alone the rules.

I love watches and it's the only thing I really spend any money on other than my wife!

Keep the stories coming guys; I love to see what everyone's keeping time with.

Sponsored

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Just called my AD and now they are saying June for the Tudor BB58 :angry:
Ha! Tudor's turning into their parent!

Just curious, who's the AD? I'm talking to the outfit in Carmel/Monterey.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not on Amazon unfortunately, and all of the good shops online have markups.

Rolex experience šŸ™ƒ
You know what they say, if you want to look like a player, be prepared to be a payer. Thatā€™s why I have a GT and not a GT350.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You know what they say, if you want to look like a player, be prepared to be a payer. Thatā€™s why I have a GT and not a GT350.
Could be worse. This UFC fighter won a match recently and the first thing he said in a post bout interview was a call out to Elon Musk asking where his Tesla is after a 6 month wait on order.
Sponsored