Sponsored

BREAKING: 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Confirmed as the Most Track Capable 5.0L V8 Mustang Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I am curious as what kind of claims Ford is experiencing on the Mustang. Less cars with a higher profit margin is sometimes better than selling many more at lower prices and profits but still having to back the same warranty. Look at the Mustangs GTs sold. From 32K MSRP to 55K MSRP for the same powertrain. And, perhaps the owners of the more expensive cars, i.e. Premium GTs with 401A are less likely to modify or abuse because they have spent more $$ on the car? Same warranty.

I say this because I remember reading an article like 40 years ago that Ford paid out $150M in muscle car warranty claims for the 1969 model year and that helped them to realize how expensive muscle cars really were.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The Mustang becoming a “brand” rather than remaining a flagship icon Pony Car will no longer be an affordable first performance car for the masses
That's why the EB lineup. 20-27k gets you a decent performance car at an attainable price. Wasn't it something like 2:1 in sales over the GT?

Friday after next
would be the 12th of June.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Let’s not bet on it. It’s just a name sticker on the side as far as ford are concerned.
Well the information contained in the press release kind of refutes that.
especially outside the USA where the Mach 1 name is unknown to almost all.
Is this really true? Everything I've read indicates that Mustang enthusiasts around the world are well versed in all things Mustangs. I would think this really apply to special cars like the Mach 1 and Boss 302.
1. drop prices 2. rake through the back catalogue of 'halo' names and repurpose.
Although I certainly would not be opposed to lower pricing I also know it is never going to happen. What other Halo names did you have in mind?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Let’s not bet on it. It’s just a name sticker on the side as far as ford are concerned. They can develop these 2 parts bin cars then select branding. Mach1 branding fits the current ford theme and may boost Mach e sales/publicity, especially outside the USA where the Mach 1 name is unknown to almost all.
Mach 1 may not mean much to those new to Mustang (especially outside the US) but to those of us that live and breathe Mustang, the Mach 1 name is right up there as one of the most iconic.

S550 only has two more model years before S650 debuts, so we're not going to see another new model for the '22MY alone..........Mach 1 will see out S550 for the '21 & '22MYs.

For me, the '12 & '13 Boss 302 was the pinnacle of the S197 (yes, for me, even over the GT500 of the same period). It was the best driving S197 of the lot, just as at home on the track as it was on the road (I've spent good seat time on a European roadtrip in a '13).

Whilst I'd never have said the Mach 1 was originally developed for the track (that was the Boss's job), any new model these days needs to excel at everything and, again, I'd expect this Mach 1 to be the best all round S550 before we see the S650. I don't forsee it being quite as "stripped out" as the '12/'13 Boss, in fact I expect it to be fully loaded in terms of comfort/tech, but I still expect it to excel on both the road and track.

With Dave Pericak and Team Mustang behind it, I have high hopes for this one :)

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
yeah, the mach 1 was the straight line performance luxery mustang. the Boss was the ultimate non-shelby mustang.
The Mach 1 was the straight-line/luxury trim because when it debuted Ford had the Boss 302 to cover the corner-carving side.

The road course segment was much smaller then, partly because there were far more conventional straightline-oriented muscle cars back then than there is now, and partly because access to driving on real road courses with your street car was not even available.

With the GT350 gone and apparently the PP2 as well, it sure sounds like this time around the Mach 1 is going to have to cover the road course segment. I'm pretty sure that it's going to take more than just a different wheel & tire package over and above a PP1-ish base Mach 1 suspension, though. Even with MagneRide.

Norm

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'm sure Ford will cut a corner and put a MT82 in it and ruin it. Might as well buy a used gt350

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Also, do we have any leaks on the rear brakes? I would hate to see the usual GT single piston garbage rears on the "most capable" track 5.0.
I just don't get this complaint. If they're good enough to properly support the "most capable track 5.0", that's good enough (mechanically).

A more finished appearance that doesn't compromise that performance would be one thing. Keep in mind here that under track braking at 1g, less than 30% of your car's braking is coming from the rear brakes. At 1.1g, that figure drops to about 25%.

Norm

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
I'm sure Ford will cut a corner and put a MT82 in it and ruin it. Might as well buy a used gt350
As has been said numerous times on here, the MT82 in the current Mustang's are just fine. Are they the best, no. Could they be better, yes. Would we prefer to see a Tremec, sure. Would you be willing to pay for the Tremec? How much? Ruin the Mach 1, hardly.

And why is a used GT350 always better? Just for the tranny? Not everyone needs/wants a Shelby.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Two different cars and one more race track focused with the square 305 cup 2 setup. Rather than release the mach1 in two forms, could ford see the end of s550 production coming and be working on a final blow out mach1. (Street) and boss (track) double launch? That would likely replace gt pp2, gt350 and gt350r in one go and boost sales just before the end of s550 production. It would be a great send off for the NA V8.
I like the idea of a double launch, but not if it is to mean the end of normal aspiration in the Mustang (or any make/model car, for that matter).

Norm

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Regarding the coyote with the 5.2 heads:

Not happening, at least in this current configuration. Ford performance does sell the 5.2 heads for use on the coyote, but it’s gen II only. In order to use the heads on a gen III engine, they’ll need to be completely redesigned for dual injection.

I can’t see ford using resources like that. If they do make a coyote with the 5.2 heads, it’ll be 6 year old technology essentially.

Ford has done this, and been successful. They produced 541 hp from a coyote.

I can see 510hp from this beast. The 541hp
Was race fuel and longtube headers. Still, is 6 year old technology a detriment to anyone? Not really to me, but a regular GT A10 would potentially still outpace it in the 1/4 because of the dual injection timing and characteristics of the engine. More torque overall.

light read:
https://www.enginelabs.com/features...rd-racings-new-5-2-coyote-crate-engine-a52xs/

Sponsored

OnThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
As has been said numerous times on here, the MT82 in the current Mustang's are just fine. Are they the best, no. Could they be better, yes. Would we prefer to see a Tremec, sure. Would you be willing to pay for the Tremec? How much? Ruin the Mach 1, hardly.

And why is a used GT350 always better? Just for the tranny? Not everyone needs/wants a Shelby.
Keep telling yourself that, if I'm paying for a top of the line track ready mustang, I don't want a POS MT82. There's a reason Ford used a tremec in their more track focused cars. Lol at everyone doesn't need a Shelby. If you don't need a Shelby then you don't need a Mach 1 considering they're going to be pretty close performance wise per Ford

ALLSTOCK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Honda Accord LX 5MT, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP2
hard to imagine `most track-ready 5.0-liter Mustang ever` with the mt82 lol.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Imagine all the idiots who are gonna spend high 50's for this and not get a tremec
Bullitts cost that much and have the MT82 so there's quite a few 'idiots' out there. The cost difference of goods at retail is only $1500. I would expect it's quite a bit under $1000 for Ford.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
The more I read and think about this new Mach 1, the more I'm disappointed. Definitely a parts bin special. Basically it's a GT PP3 in my eyes.

The Mach 1 was never a road course car in the past, it was the top cushy fastback meant for boulevard bruising. A misuse of the moniker, IMO. Kind of strange, like maybe the plans changed for the car internally at Ford, and why not just use what's laying around along with the name. Throw it at the wall and see if it sticks.

A buzz generator to be sure. Could be a good car, but it's a big 'meh' for me without a bunch of truly unique stuff and I'm sure it's not going to be cheap.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.