• Total voters

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Just to weigh in...my 15k mile 2015 GT PP has the squeal at low speeds as well. I took it to the dealership and asked if the PP was part of the TSB or not and they said they were not sure but would get back to me. Eventually they told me I was out of the build date range so I wasnt part of it (never did get them to confirm that PP was not included but oh well). I took apart the calipers myself, cleaned up the half-assed grease job and followed some directions I found on greasing Brembo pads, pins and anti-squeal clips. I also sanded the rotors with 120 grit, cleaned up the pad faces and cleaned out the groves in the pads. Put it all back together, torqued the lugs to 150ft/lbs and went out to bed the brakes. Did 8-10 (lost count) firm stops from 60mph-20mph and then drove about 15 minutes on the highway to allow them to cool. They feel better than ever but dammit...next day they started squealing again. I did another couple hard stops which worked for about 10 minutes before they started again. I understand that performance brakes make noise from time to time but my friends 2016 GT PP has 30K more miles than mine and hasnt made a single squeal.

Im wondering if its a lack of bedding when new or something similar? Im gonna try a couple more things (cheap) before I give up and just settle for it being "normal"

Im either looking at having the rotors turned and then bed the pads to see what happens or just ordering some aftermarket rotors and new pads and do the same. SOMETHING's gotta give.

Matt

astolt12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT PP
I have the same issue. havent gone as far as you '66 but am about tired of it.

Mine are actually coming from the rear end...or I'm pretty sure of that. I've noticed however though that after washing the car if you give it a good blast of water back there it'll stop squealing for a day.

But then its back at the same BS again. Like others said on here I have buddies with older and brand new PPs like mine with no issues.

Mine is a 10/14 build date but doesnt qualify for the TSB i was told. Been given the same line that the brakes are performance; they squeal.

mustangtaxman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
2017 86
im getting sick of it too, im about ready to just say screw it and replace the rotors

66sprint6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base GT PP
Just for a little update. I went BACK out and did some aggressive 60mph-20mph stops, floored it back up to 60 and did it again about 8-10 times, cruised for about 10 minutes, turned around and did 10 more back to back again and then cruised the rest of the way home. This fixed the issue AND made the brakes feel better...for a week. The squeal is back but not as bad/often as before so I feel like Im on the right track with the re-bedding process. Ill probably just deal with it until I get some cash together and toss new rotors and pads on then immediately go out and bed them properly and see what happens.

Matt

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
My roommate is a Brake Component release engineer for an OEM. They have similar issues and use the same supplies for the regular Mustang brakes.
After picking him for dropping his car off for body work, my car (PP) made a few real good screeches. He said that's probably 240 hz noise.

In his experience it seemed to stem from friction material, braking force, and moisture often brings out more frequent excitement into the system. I tried to replicate it on he drive home, ut could given the nature of traffic. So once home, threw two cups of water on the calipers, let the car sit for about 30 minutes in the sun.

Then we did some city driving for about 5-10 minutes then brought the car into a low traffic development for low G, low brake effort stops. We used sound analyzer from the android market place to record the sound. Sure enough the car would screech and do it consistently. 234hz 60db was the noise the PP Brembo's would make.

He said moisture levels often bring out these nature frequency with low G/low effort braking when energy is transferred from rotor to pad and excite the brake system.

Shims, and grease are an easy way to try an elevate the issue, to dampen that transfer into the caliper. Unless there is material/coating changes which are less prone to bring out the nature frequency of some parts.

Last edited:

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
brembos need more machining attention than regulars I know because I did mine at 19k miles

Mu5tang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Godzilla
I've always have had that problem as 68fbjjz109 mentioned, the first time it occurred was when I was driving aggressively going to work on a rainy day, after work when I drove off it constantly made that noise without applying the brakes :doh: made me paranoid :frusty: (brand new car with no more then 2000 miles) thought I must of damaged something(felt like the back plate was touching the rotor) but it wasn't. When I took it in the tech told me he applied brake cleaner and drove it and hard braked and the noise went away. Now as I drive I usually apply the brakes normally and if it begins to make that noise I would hard break and it would usually go away. Now I'm in michigan and driving at a constant speed of 45 to 50 mph and most of the time you slow down you barely even have to use the brakes(glide of the pads), it made the noise Begin Again intermittently and last week we had a rain storm that flooded most parts of the city and ever since then it's been constantly making that annoying sound even if I tried hard breaking it sometimes gets worse. I'm clueless on what to due now considering the noise is similar to the low brake indicator some vehicles have. Only have 13000 miles which I know most likely I don't need brakes but in the future it sure will be a problem and, Ford, I don't thing this is safe. :thumbdown:

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
I've always have had that problem as 68fbjjz109 mentioned, the first time it occurred was when I was driving aggressively going to work on a rainy day, after work when I drove off it constantly made that noise without applying the brakes :doh: made me paranoid :frusty: (brand new car with no more then 2000 miles) thought I must of damaged something(felt like the back plate was touching the rotor) but it wasn't. When I took it in the tech told me he applied brake cleaner and drove it and hard braked and the noise went away. Now as I drive I usually apply the brakes normally and if it begins to make that noise I would hard break and it would usually go away. Now I'm in michigan and driving at a constant speed of 45 to 50 mph and most of the time you slow down you barely even have to use the brakes(glide of the pads), it made the noise Begin Again intermittently and last week we had a rain storm that flooded most parts of the city and ever since then it's been constantly making that annoying sound even if I tried hard breaking it sometimes gets worse. I'm clueless on what to due now considering the noise is similar to the low brake indicator some vehicles have. Only have 13000 miles which I know most likely I don't need brakes but in the future it sure will be a problem and, Ford, I don't thing this is safe. :thumbdown:
Now I've heard it all.

You think that normal brake noise from a high performance brake system means the car "isn't safe"? :doh:

Let me reiterate the facts...you chose to purchase a vehicle equipped with a high performance, track ready Brembo brake system. High performance brakes will exhibit more noise than a standard brake system; that's the price you pay for high performance.

The PP brakes have more stopping power than the tires could ever handle. What part about the brakes "isn't safe" again?

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
Like i said in other threads there is no way this is a normal noise especially given the fact that with windows up and the music on higher volumes i hear both the squeel and groan drowning all else out. Not all mustangs are showing these qualities and past years with brembos (my neighbors 2014 gt500) do not exhibit this behavior. Add to the fact mine used to be silent but suddenly at 500 miles they started making noises that get increasingly more intrusive each day.

These are more than just normal high performance noises. I should not have piercing squeel and a numbing groan that vibrates through the car every time i stop. When i record it on my phone and replay it even the vibration transfers through the phone.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
When eveyone in the parking lot turns around to look and gives you the stink eye when your breaks squeal - you know it ain't normal.

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
When eveyone in the parking lot turns around to look and gives you the stink eye when your breaks squeal - you know it ain't normal.
It's not a normal car, either. If you want quiet brakes, get ceramic pads. They wont stop very well on the track, but hey, at least you can be stealthy if not for your loud exhaust.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
When the squeel and groan is louder than the truck youre driving alongside i would say otherwise.

Mine was back at the dealer monday and they are replacing the front pads at least for the noises. This is after they told me its normal and they conpared it against other PP cars and realized "oh wait, its not"

Though i want to kill this service shop. Its also in for a bad decklid and the puddle lamps distorting and for some reason theyre waiting for the brake parts to come in before doing anything else. Its been there a total of 6 days and nothing has happened. Efficiency ffs.

GTbryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
Don't have brembos on my mustang, but I did have them on my evo x. They squealed and made brake dust like it was their job.
Sponsored