Brake noise from front passenger side

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
I have a 21 GT with the performance package brakes. It's making a high pitch squeak when stopping...just wondering what it could be? I don't really hear it on the driver's side. Any ideas? Pads look fine; it has 20k miles on it.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Debris caught between caliper/pad, pad needs more brake anti-squeal compound on it, or the caliper pins need to be lubed.

Only real way to tell is remove the wheel and manually spin the rotor…. Spray off with high pressure air to blow away any debris. Squirt down with a good Brake cleaner and go for a ride. If the noise is still there then you’ll have to dismantle the pads to put anti squeal compound on backsides of the pads..

I’ve also seen it where the brake pad wear indicator becomes bent and can touch the rotor ever so slightly - so look for that and/or slight scoring on front OR back side of rotor.

Last edited:

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Debris caught between caliper/pad, pad needs more brake anti-squeal compound on it, or the caliper pins need to be lubed.

Only real way to tell is remove the wheel and manually spin the rotor…. Spray off with high pressure air to blow away any debris. Squirt down with a good Brake cleaner and go for a ride. If the noise is still there then you’ll have to dismantle the pads to put anti squeal compound on backsides or on the pins.

I’ve also seen it where the brake pad wear indicator becomes bent and can touch the rotor ever so slightly - so look for that and/or slight scoring on front OR back side of rotor.
Cobra Jet, you're always so helpful and clear, thank you.
I did notice the first time you mentioned the slide pins you said to lubricate them which is what needs to be done. The second time it seems to say to put anti squeal on the pins. You don't really want to do that. I'm positive you meant to lube the pins. I'm not trying to be critical, just don't want to see someone misunderstand.

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Maybe somebody can answer this. I think the previous owner put on track pads. If they’re not up to temp, they randomly squeal so loud, even when braking at 5mph. The brake pads aren’t worn out. Still have a lot of meat on them.

Sponsored

Aless_andro00

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
Even if your brake pads seem alright at first glance, it's worth giving them a closer look. Sometimes, they can get a bit shiny or wear down unevenly, which might cause that annoying squeak. Try gently sanding the surface of the pads to rough them up a bit and see if there's any weird wear or damage. Plus, all that brake dust buildup could be making noise too. Giving everything a good clean, from the pads to the rotors and calipers, might just silence those squeaks.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
Check for a pebble caught between the dust shield and backside of the rotor.
Also make sure the dust shield isn't bent and touching the rotor. Have seen that a couple times. They are really thin and bend easily.

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
What pads would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about Hawk...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Cobra Jet, you're always so helpful and clear, thank you.
I did notice the first time you mentioned the slide pins you said to lubricate them which is what needs to be done. The second time it seems to say to put anti squeal on the pins. You don't really want to do that. I'm positive you meant to lube the pins. I'm not trying to be critical, just don't want to see someone misunderstand.
Whoops - yep you caught a misspelling and a revision of that sentence there! The second or ending sentence of that line was supposed to read “pads” again, not pins….

Sorry for any confusion there (corrected my post).

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What pads would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about Hawk...
Pretty much depends on what you use the car for.
For daily or occasional use there's no real reason to use anything other than stock. Track or overly aggressive driving might warrant an upgrade.
20k miles shouldn't be enough for stock pads to need replacement. They should easily go twice that or more. Have you pulled the wheels to check them yet? There have been several good suggestions to help you find the source of your noise. Until you investigate more it seems planning to replace the pads is premature.

OP
OP
joe603

joe603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium PP
Well I figured if I'm taking all that apart, may as well replace the pads.
Sponsored