Brake Booster Vacuum hose broken

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue Premium GTPP w/ Recaros
The connecter from the air intake tube to the brake booster vacuum hose apparently corroded and broke. The car still seems to run fine and the brakes work properly. I have two questions:
1. Can this small part be purchased somewhere?
2. Obviously I'm going to fix it, but Is it safe to drive in the short term until it's fixed? I'm thinking it still functions, it's just more likely to pull air from outside the box. Perhaps a little duct tape could be a temporary solution?
Any expertise you have would be awesome, thanks!
20190620_210327.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
2017GBGTPP

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Now that I'm looking closely, it isn't corrosion, it looks like old epoxy. I think the dealer I used to go to may have broken it and just glued it back together. This helps solidify my decision to dump them....
So I'm guessing glue is a temporary option as well....

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I don't think it is a good idea to drive it like that. You have unmetered air getting in the engine. This seems to be a common issue with dealers breaking that elbow and gluing it. There was a similar thread on here and the dealer was the culprit.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
Brake vacuum is pulled from there??...I'd thought it would be on a manifold port

OP
OP
2017GBGTPP

2017GBGTPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I have opted to use Sugru for the repair, since that one small piece can't be bought separately and it would cost $140 to replace the entire intake tube. This stuff is magic, it should do the trick.

elcamino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Walt
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Came across this looking for that same fitting. I broke mine today while installing a new coolant reservoir. I don’t think I bumped it very hard but it snapped right off. I have not tried turning out the elbow yet. Wondering if the elbow can be replaced with a metal elbow. So far I have found the elbow by itself. Only the entire tube. I’ll be damned if I spending $125 on the OEM tube. I’ll throw a few hundred more and get an aftermarket CAI. The Rousch looks like it has a better fitting in that location. Can anyone confirm?

Edit: just a follow up post. I ended up ordering the K&N Series 57 kit since it does not require a tune. I did not want to order the OEM tube and have it happen again and the K&N kit was only $125 more including the filter. When I get around to tuning the car I may get another CAI at that point.
Sponsored

Last edited: