Borla S type axle back vs SLP Loudmouth 2 axle back

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
yeah... I meant under-axle. I was upside down when I took them off the other day.:doh:
My fault, I stated that wrong to begin with, pipes under the axle.

But yes I found the pipes listed for the V6 and they look suspiciously close to the exact pipes required for the Mustang GT.

But if you look through the install docs which also list the part # for each separate piece you will see the mid-pipes for the GT and the V6 are different part #'s. But these pieces look the same to me.

Hoping David will chime in and let us know if they are the same parts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My fault, I stated that wrong to begin with, pipes under the axle.

But yes I found the pipes listed for the V6 and they look suspiciously close to the exact pipes required for the Mustang GT.

But if you look through the install docs which also list the part # for each separate piece you will see the mid-pipes for the GT and the V6 are different part #'s. But these pieces look the same to me.

Hoping David will chime in and let us know if they are the same parts.
V6/EB pipes are 2.25" vs. 2.5".

OP
OP
jefffrot

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I started with FRPP Sport axlebacks. (These would be similar to Borla S-type is the front muffler.) They sounded better than stock, but were not much louder.

I switched to SLP LM2. Deeper tone than stock, and a bit louder. (I like the Roush sound, but they are too loud for me.)

Now I am running them with X-pipe. (I wanted a little louder still, and more upper tone.)

I am afraid you may follow my path if you start with Borla, because you will find them not much different than stock. (I am not knocking Borla products. I actually like them, but this is the path I found myself on.)
Thanks for the info. So you think the LM 2's are louder then the Borla? American muscle gave both the FRPP Sport axle and S type axle back a 3 out of 5 on their loudness scale but only a 2 for the LM 2's. Have you found the LM 2's get louder with age? Have you noticed any drone at cruising speed?

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
V6/EB pipes are 2.25" vs. 2.5".
Yes I see you are right. Different pipe size. That explains it.
I found the parts are LH pipe = 55628 and RH pipe = 55629.
Can't find them listed separately for sale on Borla web site.

OP: sorry to veer off topic. I know you are wanting to compare Borla with SLP. I'll email David at Borla about my question. Thanks.

Sponsored

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MUSTANG 5.0L GT PREMIUM 2015 RED
So far i am very happy with my Loudmouth 2 with X-pipes...

So happy that im considering taking out the clamps and welding it all together as i will probably not change it anytime soon.

The X-pipe definitely gives it the louder and better upper tone sounds to it to combine very well like member GTP mentioned. It sounds great would put it around 3.7/5 in loudness with them on. I think its just right.

I have a couple of quick videos not the best and videos really don't do justice to how better some exhaust sound in person, they are on my thread. (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960) . I can try get a high quality video sound up later if interested...

Like tomorrow i could try talk to my friend's high quality prof. cam/mic

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Thanks for the info. So you think the LM 2's are louder then the Borla? American muscle gave both the FRPP Sport axle and S type axle back a 3 out of 5 on their loudness scale but only a 2 for the LM 2's. Have you found the LM 2's get louder with age? Have you noticed any drone at cruising speed?
I found the FRPP/Borla Sports to be a touch louder than stock, and with better overall tone. I chose them because I figured the Touring A/B's wouldn't be much louder than stock. So I only went up one notch when I really wanted two. So much for hours of research. :shrug:

I then ordered the SLP's. There is no drone from the LM2's, but more of a mild hum around 2200 as mentioned by [MENTION=24259]Coconut[/MENTION] in post #4. It is really not a problem.

So far i am very happy with my Loudmouth 2 with X-pipes...

So happy that im considering taking out the clamps and welding it all together as i will probably not change it anytime soon.

The X-pipe definitely gives it the louder and better upper tone sounds to it to combine very well like member GTP mentioned. It sounds great would put it around 3.7/5 in loudness with them on. I think its just right.

I have a couple of quick videos not the best and videos really don't do justice to how better some exhaust sound in person, they are on my thread. (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67960) . I can try get a high quality video sound up later if interested...

Like tomorrow i could try talk to my friend's high quality prof. cam/mic
[MENTION=27008]toLerancia[/MENTION] asked for my experience with his LM2's, and that is when I told him that I replaced the Borla resonator with a cut-down J&M X-pipe. I think it is a good overall compromise in loudness, and tone (just the right amount of rasp at higher rpm), plus my whole system is 100% 304 steel. A bonus is they have the best looking polished SS tips, IMO.

One final comment. Yes, loud is subjective, but LM2 with X-pipe does not exceed 3 on a scale of 5. Just go to Mustang Week, and your loudness scale will expand. :lol:

Last edited:

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
I Installed my SLP LM2's yesterday and couldn't be happier...I must be getting old because with the factory suitcase in place it's still plenty loud enough.

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I found the FRPP/Borla Sports to be a touch louder than stock, and with better overall tone. I chose them because I figured the Touring A/B's wouldn't be much louder than stock. So I only went up one notch when I really wanted two. So much for hours of research. :shrug:

I then ordered the SLP's. There is no drone from the LM2's, but more of a mild hum around 2200 as mentioned by @Coconut is post #4. It is really not a problem.

@toLerancia asked for my experience with his LM2's, and that is when I told him that I replaced the Borla resonator with a cut-down J&M X-pipe. I think it is a good overall compromise in loudness, and tone (just the right amount of rasp at higher rpm), plus my whole system is 100% 304 steel. A bonus is they have the best looking polished SS tips, IMO.

One final comment. Yes, loud is subjective, but LM2 with X-pipe does not exceed 3 on a scale of 5. Just go to Mustang Week, and your loudness scale will expand. :lol:

Well it's around the middle of loud for sure, it can be quiet when you want it to be or it can be pretty loud in a hurry.. I think is very well balanced and won't let you thinking about Oh maybe its too loud or OH maybe its to quiet & make you try another exhaust. None of that raspiness and minimal drone.

In Mustang Week or any similar event of course people are gonna go with crazy loud setup, but for every day daily driver usage this feels like the best option for me.

toLerancia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I Installed my SLP LM2's yesterday and couldn't be happier...I must be getting old because with the factory suitcase in place it's still plenty loud enough.

Glad you liked them! I never tried them with factory resonator except i only saw videos and i wasn't that happy with it.... until i saw 2 clips of it with added X-pipe. I think you will enhance and get the best out of em with an X!
Sponsored