Borla S type axle back vs SLP Loudmouth 2 axle back

jefffrot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT CS
I am looking at getting an axle back for my 16 GT CS. Want something a little louder then a resonator delete but not something too loud. After listening to tons of videos, I think I have it narrowed down to these. Plan to keep the stock resonator for now. Has anyone heard both of these in person? I have only heard the S type cat back and that is a little louder and raspier then I want. Which one of these 2 is louder? They sound pretty similar in the videos so I am trying to figure out if the Borla worth 1.5 times the cost vs the SLP?
Sponsored

Silver550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
15" Silver Premium PP
I think that the Borla s type's would be louder and raspier out of the both. I'm waiting for someone to do headers with the lm2's. I have cat deletes with the MBRP Street and its too raspy for my liking. If you plan to do headers or cat deletes I would stick with the lm2's and leave the stock resonator in place. Oh and another thing, you can buy the axle backs from Borla also. You don't have to buy the whole cat back.

OZDAZ5.0

GT-Superpower
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryn
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Mustang
I will have my SLP LM2's on tomorrow I will try give some feedback. The Borla S will definitely be louder and barkier.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I have the SLP LM2 with stock resonator so this is my feedback comparing it to the stock exhaust. I would say the tone is very similar to stock, just alot deeper and about twice as loud. No rasp or backfire. Cold starts are much louder now, enough so that your neighbors can hear it but not enough for them to complain. Once warmed up, there is a deep burble. Low to mid RPM sounds just like stock, just deeper and twice as loud. At WOT it's only about 60% louder than stock though, which I find strange. On highways cruising in 6th, their is definite hum. Not quite drone but enough so that it's worth mentioning. With the stock exhaust you hear the piped in induction noise more than the exhaust itself. With the LM2, you hear the exhaust more than the induction noise. Overall I do like it for what it is, it's louder than I thought it would be.

Never heard the S-Type axleback in person, but from the research I did, it should be quite a bit louder and raspier than the LM2. I too narrowed it down to those two too but ultimately choose the LM2 since it's quieter and has the same sound characteristic as the Roush axleback (my first choice, but way too loud). The LM2 is literally the Roush axleback with packing, a Roush "Touring" if you will.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
I am looking at getting an axle back for my 16 GT CS. Want something a little louder then a resonator delete but not something too loud. After listening to tons of videos, I think I have it narrowed down to these. Plan to keep the stock resonator for now. Has anyone heard both of these in person? I have only heard the S type cat back and that is a little louder and raspier then I want. Which one of these 2 is louder? They sound pretty similar in the videos so I am trying to figure out if the Borla worth 1.5 times the cost vs the SLP?
Ok there is some misinformation going on here. Borla s type axle back and touring mufflers are the same. Witout the x pipe,borla s type with the stock resonator will be the most quiet setup that you can get. It is deeper than stock but barely louder, zero rasp and drone. If you want a little bit louder, i would suggest borla touring catbacks. I wouldn't spend money on the stype or touring axle backs though. Way too quiet!

Sponsored

david borla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ok there is some misinformation going on here. Borla s type axle back and touring mufflers are the same. Witout the x pipe,borla s type with the stock resonator will be the most quiet setup that you can get. It is deeper than stock but barely louder, zero rasp and drone. If you want a little bit louder, i would suggest borla touring catbacks. I wouldn't spend money on the stype or touring axle backs though. Way too quiet!

We designed our offerings for the S550 to be modular so you can mix and match axle-backs and mid pipes/x-pipes to find the sound that's right for you. For instance, and this is just one example of the many permutations available, let's say "guy #1" starts with the S-Type axle-back but find it's not aggressive enough for him. In that case he can add the non-resonated x-pipe to make it more aggressive. Now let's say "guy #2" starts with the S-Type axle-back as well but it's too aggressive for him, in that case he can add the resonated x-pipe (Touring) to make it less aggressive, but still more aggressive than stock. Now let's say "guy #3" starts with the S-Type axle-back and it's perfect for him, obviously he doesn't need to add a mid-pipe because he likes what he has.

You have the same flexibility with the ATAK axle-back as well. Start with that and you can make it more, or less, aggressive by adding a mid-pipe later if necessary.

As you know, sound is subjective and it's difficult to truly understand how aggressive an exhaust is through the internet. So we built in this flexibility to compensate for the uncertainty that comes with buying an exhaust system you've never heard in person.

To drive my point home (I apologize for the redundancy here), if you're not totally sure what you'll like I recommend starting with one of our axle-backs and waiting on the mid-pipe until you drive for a week or so. If it annoys you because it's too much, add the resonated mid-pipe/x-pipe. If it's not aggressive enough add the non-resonated mid-pipe/x-pipe. If you like it, leave it as it is.

It's a bit confusing, especially when you also have a choice of tip colors, but once you understand our strategy I think you'll appreciate the flexibility.

If you have any questions please let me know.

db

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I would say the FRPP by Borla Touring is a bit quieter axleback than the S-type. CJPP agrees.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
We designed our offerings for the S550 to be modular so you can mix and match axle-backs and mid pipes/x-pipes to find the sound that's right for you. For instance, and this is just one example of the many permutations available, let's say "guy #1" starts with the S-Type axle-back but find it's not aggressive enough for him. In that case he can add the non-resonated x-pipe to make it more aggressive. Now let's say "guy #2" starts with the S-Type axle-back as well but it's too aggressive for him, in that case he can add the resonated x-pipe (Touring) to make it less aggressive, but still more aggressive than stock. Now let's say "guy #3" starts with the S-Type axle-back and it's perfect for him, obviously he doesn't need to add a mid-pipe because he likes what he has.

You have the same flexibility with the ATAK axle-back as well. Start with that and you can make it more, or less, aggressive by adding a mid-pipe later if necessary.

As you know, sound is subjective and it's difficult to truly understand how aggressive an exhaust is through the internet. So we built in this flexibility to compensate for the uncertainty that comes with buying an exhaust system you've never heard in person.

To drive my point home (I apologize for the redundancy here), if you're not totally sure what you'll like I recommend starting with one of our axle-backs and waiting on the mid-pipe until you drive for a week or so. If it annoys you because it's too much, add the resonated mid-pipe/x-pipe. If it's not aggressive enough add the non-resonated mid-pipe/x-pipe. If you like it, leave it as it is.

It's a bit confusing, especially when you also have a choice of tip colors, but once you understand our strategy I think you'll appreciate the flexibility.

db
I did just this with the S-Type Axle back. :thumbsup:

The Axle-Back alone wasn't enough, so I added an H-Pipe resonator delete kit. While it's now a little on the too-loud side, I'm happy with it. Just have to find time to trim all of the pipes a little more and get the tips straight.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

db
Hi David,
What is the P/N for your resonated X-pipe? I thought the resonator included as part of the Touring cat-back is an H-pipe construction?

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

db
Hi David,

I have the very first generation touring resonator in my garage which is an h pipe, can i switch that with the x pipe version? I can pay for the shipping :D

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I started with FRPP Sport axlebacks. (These would be similar to Borla S-type is the front muffler.) They sounded better than stock, but were not much louder.

I switched to SLP LM2. Deeper tone than stock, and a bit louder. (I like the Roush sound, but they are too loud for me.)

Now I am running them with X-pipe. (I wanted a little louder still, and more upper tone.)

I am afraid you may follow my path if you start with Borla, because you will find them not much different than stock. (I am not knocking Borla products. I actually like them, but this is the path I found myself on.)

BC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/PP, Guard
...... Now let's say "guy #2" starts with the S-Type axle-back as well but it's too aggressive for him, in that case he can add the resonated x-pipe (Touring) to make it less aggressive, but still more aggressive than stock........
David,
I cut my OEM pipes and put in an H-PIPE. Not loud enough. Then I bought and installed Borla S axlebacks. Way too loud for me with the H-Pipe!

So I sold the H-Pipe and put the OEM resonator back in using 2-1/2 to 2-1/2" pipe couplers.

I would have rather bought the lighter Borla resonator but now that my pipes were cut for MRT H-PIPE dimensions I was not sure if the length would be off.

So I checked to see if I could buy the Borla over axle mid-pies along with the Borla Resonator. (This would make the whole deal into the Touring cat back package.)

But on your web site you do not offer the over-axle mid-pipes for 2015 Mustang GT.

Any plans to do so any time soon?

Thanks!

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
David,
I cut my OEM pipes and put in an H-PIPE. Not loud enough. Then I bought and installed Borla S axlebacks. Way too loud for me with the H-Pipe!

So I sold the H-Pipe and put the OEM resonator back in using 2-1/2 to 2-1/2" pipe couplers.

I would have rather bought the lighter Borla resonator but now that my pipes were cut for MRT H-PIPE dimensions I was not sure if the length would be off.

So I checked to see if I could buy the Borla over axle mid-pies along with the Borla Resonator. (This would make the whole deal into the Touring cat back package.)

But on your web site you do not offer the over-axle mid-pipes for 2015 Mustang GT.

Any plans to do so any time soon?

Thanks!
I saw this, too.

Is there any difference between the over-axle pipes in the V6, Turbo-4, and GT?

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Ummm, our cars don't have Over axle pipes......IRS FTW
Sponsored