Sponsored

BMW M550i Xdrive vs GT

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Coming from work the other day-late afternoon, light traffic. Pulled out of industrial park as I saw a BMWM550(523 hp, all wheel drive, twin turbos) going by and didn't think anything of it. A few miles out into the boonies, west side of the county with just farmland, I pulled up to a right-turn only 3 way intersection. I noticed the BMW didn't turn from rt. lane of 2 lanes(4 lane road with median)-he was waiting for me! I pull up beside him and as I was about to turn right after coming to a stop, he took off and floored it. I stomped on the loud pedal(Gen 3 Coyote with an A10-totally stock) and caught up to him. The road had a big curve here, so I backed out of it as I wasn't going to go thru the curve with an unknown driver.

The road straightened up again and he was about 3 car lengths ahead of me-he floored it and I floored it, I went past him and by the time I backed off the throttle-he was 4+ car lengths behind me.

I thought he had a lot more than that as he has 63 more hp than me, awd, and the fact that he purposely waited on me. I didn't hear a loud exhaust system-I figured it might have been modified and I caught him off-boost, but that wasn't the case. He probably beat up on some other Mustang/s and thought "This guy in his GT is toast."

Yeah, right. He found out the hard way.
Sponsored

Nitrofish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt 301a
Nice! I also killed one when stock gave him a 2 car head start and the hit had 3 cars at the end Iā€™m a 22 301a 10spd car also got two m4s from the previous gen before they got the big grille and a m340i that was spitting flames at me which I thought I was toast on but some how pulled 3-4 cars on a 60-130 hit all these were just with catback stock other wise. now Iā€™m fbo e85 no one seems to wanna play now.

LDHunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Rapid Red 2022 GT Premium California Special 10sp
Both my GT's are undefeated but I don't get many opportunities to open it up due to heavy radar presence around here.... <sigh>

I've surprised quite a few people and my GT's are both box stock.

oops... I forgot to mention a crazy fast Lambo but I really didn't try because I knew I'd be severely outmatched.

SilverSurfer410

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
CJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2020 Jeep Wrangler JL
Better than luck than me. I ran across an 19 M5 comp and mind you I have a ton of suspension mods for autoX and just a muffler swap. So not really making a lot of power for my gen 2. So I waited
8BF9E904-25EA-4070-BA5C-077EC813B819.jpeg
for the sweepers and he gave me thumbs up by how surprised he was I was right on his tail, but on that straightaway he walked outta my life šŸ˜‚

Prodigal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Aside from a dig that AWD is just a weight penalty and I bet that bimmer is a pig to begin with. Not that the mustang is a svelt lightweight. Congrats on the kill.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
It could have been the previous 550 which was ā€œonlyā€ 456 hp. Car and driver trapped 115 mph with a 2018 550 X drive. Thatā€™s 4-5 mph shy of an A10 GT so Iā€™d expect the A10 GT to definitely pull away on the top end.

OP
OP

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
"Idaho", no it was one of the new ones. I had to some research before I did my original post as it was exactly like this one-with the badges in anodized black. I knew it was some kind of uprated model-but it wasn't the M5.

2021 BMW M550i-Bernina Gray

I remember saying to myself while passing him-that's a nice color

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The newest version M550i (2022 - 2023) is probably very close to an A10 Mustang GT, it has a lot more low-end than the coyote, but the turbos are kind of restrictive on the high-end. The older version (before 2017) should be no problem. I had a 2011 M550i. It's a very nice performing luxury sedan, but it won't win many drag races.

Try your luck with a 2020 or newer M series or Z4 M40i or 2023 Supra. Beat any of those and you will be doing something.

dbtgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Aside from a dig that AWD is just a weight penalty and I bet that bimmer is a pig to begin with. Not that the mustang is a svelt lightweight. Congrats on the kill.
M550i X drive weighs in at around 4400 pounds...

OP
OP

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Bair14 What are you talking about? The Z4 & the Supra runs low to mid 12's-they only have 382 hp. Go look up what the 1/4 mile time is on a Gen 3 Coyote with an A10 is. The Supra is lighter than the Z4. Coincidentally over the last year, 3 different Supras have pulled up to me at a light-2 didn't try and the one that did got 5 car lengths for his trouble. Beat a base m3 already too.

I know they are fast M3/M4's around with single turbo conversions running 600+ hp. Haven't met any at a light yet. And I do know what fast cars are. A shop in my complex at work does wraps and he has some rich customers with all types of fast cars.

One that really impressed me is a street driven 1,500 hp R35 Nissan Skyline with drag radials on all 4 corners with beadlocks!

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
If it was the 19+ M550i then something sounds way off. He should have at least kept up with you on a bad day. You shouldn't have been able to walk him by that much. I do not think it was the 523 HP version. It sounds more like the older 456 HP version. You wouldn't have caught the 523 HP one.

But he could have been in tour mode or he put it in manual and didn't shift properly.

CXRs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 GT A10
Having both, I can confidently say it's likely the driver had it in Comfort, or was running less than premium. Those cars often get neglected by owners who buy it for show, and think it's fast enough on 87 because "Feels the same on both" is a religion to a large chunk of people who can stretch to drop ~100k on a car. It'll still clock out a neat ~12.5@112-115, but while rolling it won't have nearly the torque it should to get into the powerband quickly.

They also aren't crazy about hot days. Two tiny turbos, relatively large engine, etc.

A tune on an A10 will pace away by a car or two, and a tune on the M550i will easily outpace the Mustang until the Mustang catches boost.

Also, I forgot to add that it seems like there's a handful of people out there who buy a 540i, throw on M550i badging, and roll around like that. They move well enough for a DD for most people, but an A10 with a missing cylinder will still make quick work of one.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Bair14 What are you talking about? The Z4 & the Supra runs low to mid 12's-they only have 382 hp. Go look up what the 1/4 mile time is on a Gen 3 Coyote with an A10 is. The Supra is lighter than the Z4. Coincidentally over the last year, 3 different Supras have pulled up to me at a light-2 didn't try and the one that did got 5 car lengths for his trouble. Beat a base m3 already too.

I know they are fast M3/M4's around with single turbo conversions running 600+ hp. Haven't met any at a light yet. And I do know what fast cars are. A shop in my complex at work does wraps and he has some rich customers with all types of fast cars.

One that really impressed me is a street driven 1,500 hp R35 Nissan Skyline with drag radials on all 4 corners with beadlocks!
I was under the impression this thread was about "street racing", not a quarter mile. The Z4 and Supra have strong low-end but the small turbo limits the upper range, so you should beat them in a quarter mile. But, either of these can drop into the high 11s with just a JB4 tune. My 2018 Mustang GT (A10) would not beat my Z4 with the JB+ tune, especially up to about 85 mph. Plus, you must have a very fast A10.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Also, I forgot to add that it seems like there's a handful of people out there who buy a 540i, throw on M550i badging, and roll around like that. They move well enough for a DD for most people, but an A10 with a missing cylinder will still make quick work of one.
This seems to be a common thing with BMW owners who don't have the top version of each model. A lot of Z4 owners remove the badging if they don't have the M40i version and I recall a lot of older 3, 4 and 5 series owners adding M trim, grilles and such.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This seems to be a common thing with BMW owners who don't have the top version of each model. A lot of Z4 owners remove the badging if they don't have the M40i version and I recall a lot of older 3, 4 and 5 series owners adding M trim, grilles and such.
I had an older M3 with with an AC Schnitzer exhaust and the factory debadge option.

The guy that owns our local car spares shop tried to sell me M badges and when I refused, tried to sell me a Schnitzer trunk badge - it was quite amusing telling him it actually was an M and did have Schnitzer parts ā€¦ :facepalm: :giggle:

WD :like:
Sponsored