Sponsored

BMR Tech Tip: Check those axle-to-spindle retaining nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I read the entire thread. There are two part #s that show will fit my 16' base GT

#CCPZ-3B477-G $1.76 ( Tascaparts shows this for a 2019 Mustang)
#FR3Z-3B477-B $11.76 ( Shows for 15-17 mustang gt)

The second one has a larger flange than the first one. Not sure which one to go with. Both are at Fordpartsgiant.com and quite a difference in price. I crossed referenced them at Tasca to see what they said for applications.

Interesting the top part # is labeled as a "retainer" while the bottom part # is labeled " Nut-Hub Bearing"
Sponsored

MataGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT350
I read the entire thread. There are two part #s that show will fit my 16' base GT

#CCPZ-3B477-G $1.76 ( Tascaparts shows this for a 2019 Mustang)
#FR3Z-3B477-B $11.76 ( Shows for 15-17 mustang gt)

The second one has a larger flange than the first one. Not sure which one to go with. Both are at Fordpartsgiant.com and quite a difference in price. I crossed referenced them at Tasca to see what they said for applications.

Interesting the top part # is labeled as a "retainer" while the bottom part # is labeled " Nut-Hub Bearing"
The FR3Z-3B477-B is for the front hub behind the bearing cap, the CCPZ-3B477-G is a rear hub retainer nut.

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
A few weeks since the left rear axle was replaced and it's still quiet! :rockon:
I assume it's the nut that's been the issue all along.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Pulled the left rear tire today and got on it with a 32mm. Tight af but then threw the knee under for more leverage and it turned maybe 1/4 inch. Very very small a mount.

Haven't heard the pop sound for 3 days now. Maybe a coincidence but if that miniscule turn was it, I am shocked.

Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wow. What an epic thread! Massive thanks to all who posted.

Adding my experience in the hope it helps someone out.

Mine may be 2 separate issues however. I went in to Ford with a creaking/clunking sound. I could replicate by bouncing the rear and would describe as a rubbery creak. Ford correctly diagnosed and replaced the rear pass side shock (that's US drivers side).

However, after getting the car back, a new, more prominent metallic click/clink/tink could be heard on moving forward/backwards from a stop, after hitting the brakes, and I can also hear it on deceleration/engine brake. This was on the same corner. The pads sticking in the carriers was suspected but then ruled out with some tests by Ford. They then pointed the finger at the driveshaft.

Given that was an expensive part, I quickly found this thread and suggested we try the new axle nut, and also the thrust washer - although I'm not convinced mine will have the washer (May 2017 build).

I'm really hoping that this resolves my issue. I've got a 1700 mile road trip up to Scotland at the end of next week, and if this issue doesn't get sorted, I may end up leaving the Stang at home 😟

I took a video the other day that perfectly captures the sound.

At Ford tomorrow, so will update on progress. I'm confident that i'll know immediately if the new nut has resolved the issue.

Other than that, given that my shock was replaced, I'm skeptical of the one time use bolts that were likely not replaced so may request those as well, followed by a new bearing and finally the driveshaft.

Sleipner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 5.0 Fastback
That's the same noise I had (see video) and it's still good after the shaft was replaced (which then of course led to the nut being retightened properly).

Mine may be 2 separate issues however. I went in to Ford with a creaking/clunking sound. I could replicate by bouncing the rear and would describe as a rubbery creak. Ford correctly diagnosed and replaced the rear pass side shock (that's US drivers side).

However, after getting the car back, a new, more prominent metallic click/clink/tink could be heard on moving forward/backwards from a stop, after hitting the brakes, and I can also hear it on deceleration/engine brake. This was on the same corner. The pads sticking in the carriers was suspected but then ruled out with some tests by Ford. They then pointed the finger at the driveshaft.

Given that was an expensive part, I quickly found this thread and suggested we try the new axle nut, and also the thrust washer - although I'm not convinced mine will have the washer (May 2017 build).

I'm really hoping that this resolves my issue. I've got a 1700 mile road trip up to Scotland at the end of next week, and if this issue doesn't get sorted, I may end up leaving the Stang at home 😟

At Ford tomorrow, so will update on progress. I'm confident that i'll know immediately if the new nut has resolved the issue.

Other than that, given that my shock was replaced, I'm skeptical of the one time use bolts that were likely not replaced so may request those as well, followed by a new bearing and finally the driveshaft.

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Update.

wheel bearing removed today, and according to the Ford tech, this is where he believes the click/clank sound is originating.

You can see from the photos how worn the washer is, and also the face of the bearing where the washer sits. OEM bearing is available over night so I've gone with that option, inc the new thrust washer and the latest version of the spline nut.

The cheap side of me tells me that the new washer and nut would likely work ok, but ultimately if that bearing surface is worn, the washer would surely wear more quickly if I didn't opt to replace it?

Anyway. Final verdict tomorrow once it's fitted.

Few photos that they were kind enough to send over.

20210511_144137_resized.jpg

20210511_144228_resized.jpg

20210511_144253_resized.jpg

20210511_144310_resized.jpg

20210511_144316_resized.jpg

Bearing 20210511_144632_resized.jpg

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Well, got the call from Ford. All good to go and they are confident the bearing/washer was the issue.

Interestingly, they were good enough to send me a video. Screenshot here;

old bearing clicking.JPG

The technician explains where exactly he thought the clicking was coming from. With the old bearing in place, and holding the half shaft, he could rotate the bearing back & forth and hear a distinctive clicking, not quite the same as in my video with the wheels on the ground, but there is quite clearly some play. He next compared with the new part - no noise.

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Finally discovered the source of my rear drivers side chirping noise. If you don't want to read the entire thing it was caused by a torn outer CV boot.

When getting new tires put on my car the shop (Firestone) noticed the driver side rear bearing had a lot play. At the time I was unsure if this part was covered under the powertrain warranty, as they had the car on the rack and time to do the work I had them install a new rear hub assembly. Of course later I found this repair would have been covered by the powertrain warranty.

A short time later I noticed a metallic rotational chirping noise when leaving from a dead stop and when shifting from 1st to 2nd. Roll down the window and the chirping noise can be heard clearly. I took the car back to Firestone and they told me the dust shield on the rotor was rubbing and that was causing the noise. The also lubed up rear brake pads as they said they were bit noisy. As soon as I pulled off the off the lot I could hear the chirp was still there. Damn it, they didn't fix it.

The chirping noise was driving me nuts and I could not determine its source. I dropped the car off at the Ford dealer. They found the problem. When Firestone replaced the rear hub assembly they tore the outer CV boot. They tried to fix the torn CV boot with RTV gasket sealer which did hold the seal. The Ford tech said the all the grease has been slung out and water had gotten in and caused rust/corrosion. That was source of the metallic chirping noise. They recommended the axel shaft be replaced. He said a CV boot kit "might" fix it. $800 for the axel shaft or $400 for the boot kit. Choice was mine. Not covered under warranty since a shoddy repair was the cause.

Now I have to go back to Firestone and see if they are going to cover the repair since they caused the problem.

Sponsored

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Popping, squeaking, wheels wobbling, vibrations and many other symptoms can occur when the rear axle to spindle/knuckle retaining nuts lose their clamping force.

I am seeing this almost on a weekly basis at this point, both with stock and aftermarket set-ups.

I have found that installing a new nut and torquing them to 150ftlbs + 1/8 turn with Red Loctite has been the best for myself and our project cars.

I recommend marking the nut to the shaft so you can inspect them occasionally to ensure the nut does not back-off of the threads.
S550 Spindle Nut.jpg
Buy a couple of them, they are cheap and every Ford parts dept has them...
RearSpindleNut.jpg

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took wheel off and got a pic. You can see the crappy repair with RTV sealer and where grease has been slung out. I've had the wheel off many times trying to chase the source of the chirp and never noticed this.

51183029913_36442e6a61_c.jpg

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The shop that did the rear wheel bearing repair will be replacing the torn CV boot, no charge. The mechanic fessed up about trying to seal it with RTV. They also torqued the axle nut an additional 1/4 turn and no more clicking noise. Hallelujah !

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Ok so I have this issue ever since I jumped over a curb end of 2019. In March 2020 I bought two new wheels, replaced the front right and both rear wheel hubs and the hump noice which starts at 80 km/h was gone. It come back a few months later when my rear left start doing it (sound familiar to all of you right) replaced under part warranty sound was gone for a while and everything was good in the world till I noticed the metal click in the garage so off to the dealer and they say the nut is loose. They torqued it (I think this was a mistake) and I ordered a new nut. In mean time replaced front left just as it was making some sounds as well and for 1 day with new rear nut and new front left the hum sound was gone. Decided to go for the drive 30 km's in the hum sound is back on and more annoying than anything. Turns out it's left rear again the wheel hub have no play but I'm sure it's wheel hub.
However this time I'm sick of it so I open the Service manual here is the photo:
Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 19.01.20.png

Screenshot 2021-06-01 at 19.01.43.png

A few things:

1. Do not and I repeat do not retighten the old nut (this is going to brake the bearing).
2. New nut will likely solve the problem but if bearing is not making hum sounds at speed.
3. If nut is loose replace it and torque it. Spec in manual is 98 ft. lbs(133 nm) + 45 degree
4. Torque tires Lug nuts to spec 148 ft. lbs (200 nm) - this is very very important as any play here will result in vibrations causing the hub nut to come lose as well. Also have in mind that after a few mounts new Lug Nuts may be required.
5. if the nut is keep coming out I guess the Halfshaft CV joint is to blame replacing it is an option but better change Halfshaft.

With that In mind I'm replacing Halfshaft, wheel hub and hub nut hope the annoying hum is gone.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

This is my preferred diagnostic technique:
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.