Sponsored

BMR Suspension's New S550 Rear Upper SHOCK MOUNTS: SM760 - Design Finalized!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
that looks like a rebound-induced tear, not a compression one.
In any event it's grotesquely bad engineering on Ford's part.
Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Well..whatever it is, now I have to get it fixed, go back to stock moubts and always have it in the back of my mind that it can fail again and ill be screwed.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I've got a working theory that the alloy used for the sheet metal - while good for a deep draw - becomes very brittle when welded and what you're seeing is failure of the metal in the heat-affected zone. Could be the sheet steel was produced out of spec, or the engineers just didn't account for the HAV changing the temper on the parent material. Or maybe the stresses induced during stamping just don't play well with the welded area.

Does anyone know of an instance of this occurring with the OE mounts?
I understood 10% of that post.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
So have these things been recalled yet by BMR and the other suppliers? It seems like providing these mounts is just asking for upset customers

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
They redesigned the first version to include extra bracing and more mounting bolts, but I haven't seen instructions on how to mount the backing plate for the extra 2 bolts. I pulled my trunk liner and could not find a place where the stock location is accessible from the trunk.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
Last edited:

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
BMR recently upgrade their design. They added 2 additional screws just above. I think it is a step in the right direction, but I am not sure, if this is good enough. And I am not sure about the fuel line which is exactly in the way.
https://bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1975&superpro=0
It looks functionally good enough but the area in which you're trying to add a backing plate is really tough to get to. I'd just as soon buy some riv nuts for that area instead so you can do it all from within the wheel well.

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP

Sponsored

Grimreaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
That's sucks @strengthrehab hope they can clean it up easy enough. A good body tech could section the mount off the wheelhouse but you'd have to buy a wheel house to get the new mount.

I'd certainly be in for the new mount design as it is adding more area/ mounts to carry the load. I'm tempted to pull mine after 6 to 8 months to inspect.

Any noise @strengthrehab? Or why did you pull them off?

ponie1992

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red PP GT
How did you attach the extra brace/nut plate
I have the previous version.
Just reinstalled mine, as I had to remove the entire cradle. Everything looked good. I have a few track visits on mine and some street driving.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
After looking closely at the pictures of @strengthrehab again, I think that @shogun32 is right. The cracks look like they are the result of pulling the shock mount down (rebound scenario). I know that the Pedders shocks are adjustable in length and you can easily be a little off. At least my shop just did a rough estimate with the adjustment.

Generally with the not so optimal design by Ford of the mounting points and shock mounts without bushings, you probably should not adjust the shocks to be rock hard. Probably the new BMR version is a step forward. And it is really important to check that your shocks do not hit any limits neither when going up (compression) nor when going down (rebound).
Anyway there will always be a risk that something goes wrong with stronger mounts (even worse without bushings), because Ford constructed the mounts in a way to break, if the forces are too much force.

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
That's sucks @strengthrehab hope they can clean it up easy enough. A good body tech could section the mount off the wheelhouse but you'd have to buy a wheel house to get the new mount.

I'd certainly be in for the new mount design as it is adding more area/ mounts to carry the load. I'm tempted to pull mine after 6 to 8 months to inspect.

Any noise @strengthrehab? Or why did you pull them off?
Just sounded like a loose shock mount.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.