Sponsored

Blow off valve for ecoboost

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
Please be honest, is there any reason to spend money on a blow off valve? It’ll void my Ford warranty. I already know it does add horsepower or any torque, so truly what’s the point? My friends who are big car heads swear I need it but, is it worth the hassle and 200 some dollars? I mean at the end of the day if the turbo and engine is good then what’s the point? Is it for longevity of the turbo?
Sponsored

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
A blow-off valve is a modification that won't do much on its own but is more of a supplemental piece to a bigger project like upgrading to a bigger turbo and running more boost and the benefits aren't necessarily increased performance so much as longevity of our turbocharger/engine.

It basically acts as a release point for large amounts of pressure that can build up when the throttle body is closed suddenly under a high load (usually a WOT pull at high RPMs).

The ecoboost actually comes with a stock valve from the factory albeit a very cheap, plastic one and it's not vacuum based so it doesn't have the same whooshy sound that many aftermarket valves have.

Long story short, if you're not making any other modifications to your car, an aftermarket blow off valve won't benefit much aside from the noise as these cars don't generate enough pressure at the stock boost levels to cause an issue. If your ambitions are higher down the road, then it's a fairly easy mod to do now but you won't see the benefit until later.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Darnellbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang ecoboost premium pony package
A blow-off valve is a modification that won't do much on its own but is more of a supplemental piece to a bigger project like upgrading to a bigger turbo and running more boost and the benefits aren't necessarily increased performance so much as longevity of our turbocharger/engine.

It basically acts as a release point for large amounts of pressure that can build up when the throttle body is closed suddenly under high load (usually at high RPMs).

The ecoboost actually comes with a stock valve from the factory albeit a very cheap, plastic one and it's not vacuum based so it doesn't have the same whooshy sound that many aftermarket valves have.

Long story short, if you're not making any other modifications to your car, an aftermarket blow off valve won't benefit much aside from the noise as these cars don't generate enough pressure at the stock boost levels to cause an issue. If your ambitions are higher down the road, then it's a fairly easy mod to do now but you won't see the benefit until later.
Wow thanks for such a great reply! I do plan on doing the Ford performance upgrade for higher hp/psi usage, I’ve already added a new cat back exhaust. Those are the extent of my mods and plans. So maybe after I get the FPP added I’ll look into a blow off valve. Thanks again

Wolfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`18 Kona Blue Mustang Ecoboost PP, `10 Nissan GTR
Wow thanks for such a great reply! I do plan on doing the Ford performance upgrade for higher hp/psi usage, I’ve already added a new cat back exhaust. Those are the extent of my mods and plans. So maybe after I get the FPP added I’ll look into a blow off valve. Thanks again
No problem friend. I only know because I've had to research these things when putting together my current build haha.

Even after the FP tune, I don't think an aftermarket valve would be a necessity as the tune is calibrated with the stock hardware in mind aside from the cold air intake which I believe is swapped out to one provided with the kit.

So like I said above, you would mainly be doing it for the sound which is admittedly one of the cool parts of the turbo sound but it is relatively inexpensive (around $200) as far as mods go. Good luck.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Save your money on the fart valve and save for a bigger intercooler. The IC is where the mods need to begin. The fart valve is one of the last to do.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
My turbo mini got the loud BOV and it was awesome!!! Then 10 minutes later it got old. Then 10 more minutes I was asking myself "how old am I?". Then I put an aftermarket recirc valve on and enjoyed how it kept boost better.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
or you can be a 30 year old like me who likes his bird chirps. I paid 550 for my bov (HKS) + cold charge pipe to make this happen. but I love the sound.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds amazing !!
https://cp-e.com/shop/product/ford-mustang-ecoboost-2-3l-turbo-exhale-hks-bov-kit/

you want, cold side + HKS bov, it isn't cheap, shop around if you want to look into it further, CPE directly was NOT the best price. but I tossed it up there for information purposes. I got mine for 550 shipped I forget where though.

I love mine, but if you are low on funds, IC should be your only real upgrade.

for me, IC+FP tune+BOV+5 spur armrest +(assuming its manual) barton hybrid 3 shifter+steeda clutch spring was the best investments. if my mustang was totaled those would be day 1 purchases all over again. worth their weight in gold. (bov is just sound) id rather have that over an exhaust lol.

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
You already have a blow off valve, it just recirculates back into the intake to suppress the sound and "waste" less. If you want to vent to the atmosphere instead, you can do a $3 mod or buy a $60 diverter spacer. Either one accomplishes the same thing and neither has any performance benefit. It's just all about sound.

My car had one when I bought it and I put it back to stock, but every now and then I think about putting it back until I think about the unwanted attention it would bring from a) cars that have no business racing an ecoboost mustang and b) cars that an ecoboost mustang has no business racing. Neither options are desirable...so I leave it stock :like:

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
An aftermarket BOV does absolutely nothing for you except for the "whoosh" sound. Moreover, the factory electric valve responds quicker than any vacuum driven aftermarket unit. If the sound is what you're after then go for it but otherwise there is no gain. I added the metal dv+ valve to the OEM actuator from GFB because I thought I was leaking boost. Turns out I just did a shit job putting the piping back on to my intercooler but the metal valve is truly built much stronger than the plastic OEM part. Keeps the recirculation and the electric actuation so I kept it.

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue

Heggs550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
I've had 2 VAG cars with 2.0tfsi motors and it wasn't uncommon to have a blown diaphragm, but I haven't seen one mention of an OEM diverter valve on an ecoboost mustang not holding up. I've seen several mustang owners with this "upgrade", but what benefit are the guys with stock turbos actually seeing from this? Like actually seeing, not being told what you should see by the company selling them lol
Sponsored