Sponsored

Is a Blow Off Valve on an EcoBoost SAFE?

GoranRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Goran
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Race Red EcoBoost Premium
What's going on Mustang6G Forum!

Okay... not sure if you guys already know, but I just purchased myself a 2018 Race Red Premium Ecoboost Mustang!

I don't really want to make any Engine Mods on it. - IF anything, maybe an intake..? But I'm really not big on modifying the engine, I like to pimp out my car exterior-wise!

Anyways... something I DO want to get, though, is a Blow-Off Valve... of course, for that "PSSHHH" sound that we all love. - It's super cheap, and I am more than willing to install it at an actual Mechanical Shop.

But I've seen LOTS of people with it, and LOTS of people saying it's not "good" for the car, as well as LOTS of people saying it can't hurt.

My view on it? - I'm not sure how redirecting air can mess with your car...?

Please let me know what the case is...

Thanks guys!
Sponsored

ETAGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium
Mod bug already biting, look on youtube, there's tons of info on this.

rcengr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
17 Grabber Blue EB Convertible, 2023 Colorado Z71
Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
What's going on Mustang6G Forum!

Okay... not sure if you guys already know, but I just purchased myself a 2018 Race Red Premium Ecoboost Mustang!

I don't really want to make any Engine Mods on it. - IF anything, maybe an intake..? But I'm really not big on modifying the engine, I like to pimp out my car exterior-wise!

Anyways... something I DO want to get, though, is a Blow-Off Valve... of course, for that "PSSHHH" sound that we all love. - It's super cheap, and I am more than willing to install it at an actual Mechanical Shop.

But I've seen LOTS of people with it, and LOTS of people saying it's not "good" for the car, as well as LOTS of people saying it can't hurt.

My view on it? - I'm not sure how redirecting air can mess with your car...?

Please let me know what the case is...

Thanks guys!
I presume that your new car is still under factory warranty. If you want to keep it stay away from engine mods. Spend your hard earned cash doing exterior and interior mods.

When you say intake are you referring to a CAI? If you are understand that without a tune they are for looks only. If that’s what you want go for it. If not just get a good drop in filter.

By the way, I agree with Mark, the Steeda adaptor is cool is you have an extra $60 laying around.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I see in you're from CA. Getting your car to make whooshy noises is possibly an invitation for a fix it ticket. Some cops know the sound of a vent to atmosphere blow off device and will cite you for it. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's possible.

I've got a Fiesta ST with a Garrett Gen II GTX2860R turbo and I made my own recirc system to eliminate the whooshy noises and fly under the radar.

If you want to improve the recirc valve. Get a Go Fast Bits adapter from a reputable source, because there are counterfeits out there.

GFB_DV_1_15b7c195-ab92-4314-b593-d8e03c4a2391_1024x1024.png

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I like the whooshy noises I got when I put in a Cobb CAI. Most of us with EB's and aftermarket CAI's have noticed that it breathes louder, and I bet you can find a used CAI pretty cheap.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'm getting old.

I remember my first turbo-charged car ride, in a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Plenty of turbo spool noise, but I don't remember any whooshing.

If I was an EBer, I wouldn't be interested in whooshing. More boost and spool noise, but not whooshing.

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
I'm getting old.

I remember my first turbo-charged car ride, in a 1988 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe. Plenty of turbo spool noise, but I don't remember any whooshing.

If I was an EBer, I wouldn't be interested in whooshing. More boost and spool noise, but not whooshing.
Well to be fair with cars running higher boost you want to vent to atmosphere to protect the turbos impellers when you hop off the throttle. That was why guys in the 90s got rid of the factory recirc valves. Plus they would leak.

Plus if you like the noise thats cool too if I had a eb id run a loud obnoxious hks ssqv still think thats the best sounding blow off valve

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
Reminds me of the day I brought my EB home. I went to take my son for a ride, our subdivision is off of a "main back road", so when I took a left turn and romped on the throttle the main air inlet on the passenger side of the engine disconnected and O-M-F-G, it sounded like a 747 winding up. Scared the crap out of me. My son, who is a 38 year old special needs person said "Is it supposed to sound like that?" Turns out I only had to reconnect and tighten the clamp.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
You can definitely swap out the stock recirculating valve for an aftermarket BOV, hit us up if you'd like to see what we can get for you. LethalPerformance.com

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Blow off valves make your car sound like it's farting. Us old guys fart out our ass. I don't want my car to sound like ass.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Blow off valves make your car sound like it's farting. Us old guys fart out our ass. I don't want my car to sound like ass.

Farting? No. Imitating a snake? Yes. Farting would be deleting the cats, the resonators, and putting a $50 universal muffler at the axle back. Actually that's more like explosive diarrhea but you get the idea.
Sponsored