Sponsored

Blow-by

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
How much oil blow by could have possibly occurred within 20k miles? Car is a daily driver with occasional spirited driving, hasn’t seen any track time.
Sponsored

opengl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1 400A 6MT
4.188405 ounces

mc68386

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
4.188405 ounces
You don't provide a lot of details on your situation (except the quantity, to the 1 millionth of an ounce LOL).
But, I have a 2017 that I put a JLT catch can in from almost new. I check it every 3-4 thousand miles or so, and it typically has a tablespoon or two of gas-stinky oil in it.
So, if you only checked after 20K miles, 4 ounces (sorry 4.188405 ounces) doesn't sound ridiculous.
In my case, the amount seems totally reasonable - I have almost 50K miles, and I generally add 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes, which happen every 10K miles or so.
That's a far cry from my 1988 Tercel, which stated 1 quart refill every 600 miles was expected service.

OP
OP
jd_cobra

jd_cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Ingot Silver
You don't provide a lot of details on your situation (except the quantity, to the 1 millionth of an ounce LOL).
But, I have a 2017 that I put a JLT catch can in from almost new. I check it every 3-4 thousand miles or so, and it typically has a tablespoon or two of gas-stinky oil in it.
So, if you only checked after 20K miles, 4 ounces (sorry 4.188405 ounces) doesn't sound ridiculous.
In my case, the amount seems totally reasonable - I have almost 50K miles, and I generally add 1/2 quart of oil between oil changes, which happen every 10K miles or so.
That's a far cry from my 1988 Tercel, which stated 1 quart refill every 600 miles was expected service.
I didn’t provide that number, lol. How would I even know? I was just asking based of knowledge people have had in past, if there was a way to know without removing the manifold.

Sponsored

Fly2High

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Do a leak down test and you will know more
Forgive me but what is a leak down test?

The only test I have experienced was with a Toyota dealership which was where they put security tape on all oil access ports after making sure the oil was filled to spec. Then, they had me drive 1000 miles and would check the volume of oil remaining.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
A leak down test can be done by any mechanic. They put the piston at top dead center and apply compressed air through the spark plug hole. Then they measure how much of the air is leaking out of the combustion chamber. They will repeat the test on all cylinders and give you a report telling you what % was leaking. The lower the better and if one is low the mechanic can tell where the leak is. Like the rings or intake valve, exhaust valve, head gasket

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
The amount will obviously depend many factors. I ran a simple test on my EB and kept all the oil sludge from my JLT oil separator for a few thousand miles and it came out to over 3 ounces. I ran with a tune for 600 miles and without a rune for 600 miles (round trip) and noticed the amount of sludge reduced by about half. I then installed a valve cover breather and noticed a reduction in the amount of sludge being collected.

Here are my results for the EB for about 2k miles with a JLT oil separator. My car was bone stock for 5 years and 40k miles before installing the ECU flash and oil separator.

sludge 2k).jpg

Florida road trip ECU flashed:

fl sludge.jpg

Florida rood return trip with the OEM ECU.

fl slude no tuned.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: