Sponsored

Bit of a Dilemma please help

mkl_mus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT
Hi All

Sorry I have not posted much on the forum but i have been reading others over the last year while awaiting the arrival of my Fastback Black V8 GT.
After a bit of a wait over Christmas I finally got my hands on it 2 days ago and absolutely love everything about the car the drive,look,sound heated seats etc etc. :D
Only issue is when i parked her on the drive on the first night me and the missus got super paranoid (the car stands out like a sore thumb :)) about these car thefts by in which a criminal breaks into your house to steel the key as a few had been reported in and around our area in the last couple of months.
We ended up staying up all night as we couldn't get to sleep due to the fact we have two young kids and wouldn't want someone breaking in and searching for the key :shrug:

So after much discussion I went back to the Ford dealership the next day just to see if i could hand the car back or potentially part ex for a more less desirable model which would not hopefully bring unwanted attention, I stand to make a loss of £5500 if they bought it back after 1 day of ownership with around 60 miles on the clock :headbonk:

Question is do I try and sell private or go with the dealer as less hassle or any other potential options which I may not have considered? :confused: Obviously i would want to keep the car and beef up home security but i think unless i could put it in a garage overnight which isn't an option in my current home every tom dick and harry is going to see it who walks past.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated or any others had these paranoid thoughts about their mustang? :)
Sponsored

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Keep it, we're all paranoid about our babies :lol: .

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Touch wood........I've not heard of an S550 being stolen.

Plenty crashed, but not stolen.

Get a car cover if you're that paranoid! :)

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Most people don't have a garage or one big enough to fit it in. Get a tracker fitted and fit a steering Disklock. If you're in a bad area you could even get a wheel clamp for your own peace of mind.

Thieves usually go for cars that are the easiest to take.

The last thing I would do is get rid of it. :)

Spider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY17 GT MY19 Bullitt
Hi All

So after much discussion I went back to the Ford dealership the next day just to see if i could hand the car back or potentially part ex for a more less desirable model which would not hopefully bring unwanted attention, I stand to make a loss of £5500 if they bought it back after 1 day of ownership with around 60 miles on the clock :headbonk:
Think your dealer is taking the piss here. They currently retail at about list price with 1k on the clock check Autotrader

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Hi there

Fully understand the safety for your family, so why don't you just leave the keys on a table near the front / back door. Then if someone breaks in for the car, the keys are there and your unlikely to be woken up by an intruder.

Alternatively do as my mate does, he has a very angry Staffy and his keyfob goes on its collar every night. They want the keys, fine go ask the dog for them. ;)

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Hi there

Fully understand the safety for your family, so why don't you just leave the keys on a table near the front / back door. Then if someone breaks in for the car, the keys are there and your unlikely to be woken up by an intruder.

Alternatively do as my mate does, he has a very angry Staffy and his keyfob goes on its collar every night. They want the keys, fine go ask the dog for them. ;)
Was about to write the same thing. Don't hide the keys.

The burglars are normally shitting themselves. They don't want to see you. They want to be in and out.

Leave the keys out of the way of windows but don't hide them. The chances are so slim

tooley

My Little Pony
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Auto
It's a huge shame that your dream car is blighted by the fear of some toe rag breaking in and posing a threat to your family. I understand the dilemma but really instead of selling it why not look for a garage rental nearby? Gets it off the drive and if it does get nicked then that's what insurance is for.

If you decide you really can't live with it then sell it privately, you'll get back what you paid for it

CapitanPug

Big Bear
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Audi A5, Mitsibushi L200
Why don't you park it round the corner from your house! :D

I felt like this for the first few weeks, so I took the keys to bed with me.
A helium balloon set off the house alarm & I jumped up shouting 'somebody's trying to steal my Mustang'!
Tore down the stairs in my Boxers (not a pretty sight) ready to :paddle: a burglars heid in :lol:

Took me about 10 minutes to calm down & realise it was the balloon that set off the alarm :headbonk:

Your worrying will subside - stick with the Pony mate, you will regret getting rid :brokenheart:

Sponsored

Nostruss

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang S550 GT Race Red Fastback, A4 B7
(Touching wood), I think it's less likely to be stolen than a high performance german car as it will be more conspicuous driving it away. Take out gap insurance for c.£200 and as mentioned, leave the keys in a obvious place near the door if you are worried. Another great deterrent is a loud exhaust - you have the perfect excuse for getting this essential MOD now. Don't sell it......

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
Another one who agrees with just leaving the keys next to the front door. I'll be leaving my baby parked on the road out front in the centre of town. All I've got are 2 Huskies who'd probably help them steal her if they give them biscuits.

welsh treg

Mid life crisis guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pony power
DON'T sell it back to the dealer :crazy:

Best bet is a car cover (out of sight out of mind) and steering wheel lock or wheel lock, driveway lockable post thing etc

Dealer will have it up at retail the moment you're out of the showroom.

(If you must sell do it yourself)

I understand your position, but if you sell you will never forgive yourself,
It's a fabulous car and well worth the extra fuss to lock/cover etc

GR11M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Stick an Ecoboost badge on it, thieves won't go any where near it :lol:

Artill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manual Guard GT convertible
I too had that fear with the car sat on my drive at night. Nearly a year in, and its been no bother. I do use a wheel lock, which makes me feel better, the keys live in those little pouches that stop electric signal, and the key for the wheel lock lives somewhere else.
As others have said, if you are really worried leave your keys near the door. Do not accept that dealers attempt to steal it off you, but hopefully you will come to terms with the pleasure owning a Mustang brings. I really doubt you will have a problem
Sponsored