Sponsored

BG Syncro Shift II from Optimum Performance

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Honestly the stock shifter is really harmonic. A Barton, and others is a great investment which side effect is less NVH in the cabin. I would love to know if it does change the sounds off the collar.
Agreed. My shop quoted between $95-$190 for the gear oil and rear axle oil swap. Not sure why such gap, but what is a rough time estimate for an auto shop to swap these oils?

Nevermind. Other shop doing it for $80. :)
Sponsored

Last edited:

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Well, apparently tech didn't read the manuals correctly. He put all the fluids for the gear and rear axle. Is this going to be a problem? I can go tomorrow and ask them to take off the excess volume.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Well, apparently tech didn't read the manuals correctly. He put all the fluids for the gear and rear axle. Is this going to be a problem? I can go tomorrow and ask them to take off the excess volume.
Seems to be a trend with shops :doh: Not reading correctly, more like reading them at all :frusty:

The transmission should be fine, rear end we can assume they said they used all of it because they most likely filled it until it came out. They most likely just used a suction gun and pumped it in.

The rear is possibly over filled slightly.

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Seems to be a trend with shops :doh: Not reading correctly, more like reading them at all :frusty:

The transmission should be fine, rear end we can assume they said they used all of it because they most likely filled it until it came out. They most likely just used a suction gun and pumped it in.

The rear is possibly over filled slightly.
:(
For the rear he said 2 quarts came out, so he put 2 quarts in. Should I just leave it in?

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
:(
For the rear he said 2 quarts came out, so he put 2 quarts in. Should I just leave it in?
:lol: I love that, can't take the time to read a 4 page instruction that is mostly pictures but has time to measure old oil. Sorry. I have never tried overfilling anything to see how much you can get in there. The fill plug is below the axle centerline. This keeps the fluid from adding to the job of the seals, which is to keep contaminates out, like water and dirt but also to retain the oil being flung off of the gears and differential. The seals are not really designed to retain a sump of oil. It's why your oil pan rail is above the level of the oil, why your crankshaft is above that.

I honestly believe they just filled it to the bottom of the hole and you should be ok. 10oz's is a good amount extra in a very small vessel.

If you notice oily residue forward of your RH Rear upper shock mount that would be the excess oil puking out of the vent. The plastic line is coming from the top of your rear differential cover. Ford learned that higher is better on a performance car.
Cat Meme.jpg

Sponsored

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
Thanks for the reply! I might just go there and drain the oil and refill with exact amount that needs to go in. Definietely not right.

How long does it take to see the full effect of the gear oil? I've driven 20 miles and still waiting for the magic to appear :)

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Thanks for the reply! I might just go there and drain the oil and refill with exact amount that needs to go in. Definietely not right.

How long does it take to see the full effect of the gear oil? I've driven 20 miles and still waiting for the magic to appear :)
No need to drain it, do you still have the dipstick we included? Just check the level.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Wow . If there was extra oil the mechanic didn't give me any back. :(

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Guess your mechanic put the whole bottle in as well?
I am not sure. I need to ask . Knew I should have done myself . Only had them do because they did headers

Sponsored

g2ney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST
So I talked to tech and he said he put the fluids all the way to the bottom piece of the fill plug. He poked his finger to check. But he used all oils! This morning I didn't see oil residue on the ground so I guess I should be fine.

Now I am little bit confused about the effectiveness of the gear oil. I really don't feel much different :( Perhaps he didn't wait 5-10 minutes for the oil to drain completely? Still, I was expecting more of a big difference like what everyone is saying. It's still notchy, makes noise, etc. Hmm

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
My gear oil and rear axle oil arrives tomorrow... can't wait to put them on!! Mainly looking for quieter gear operation and smoothness in gears. Anyone happen to reduce noise from the reverse lockout collar?
Have you swapped anything in your shifter out ?

I have the Steeda rear differential bushing kit and some other mods to the rear end, so I have noticed the rear end gear whine after installing those mods. Switching to the heavier diff oil did not reduce that noise either. Its not excessive or obtrusive, but it is there.

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
I didn't get that. What do you mean? Sorry

Have you swapped your shifter to an aftermarket version ? The thing that typically rattles is if your missing the white plastic washer underneath the reverse lockout collar. If you have ever removed your lockout collar or shifter, you may have lost that bit.
Sponsored