phsc84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang Mach 1 (2021)
Hi folks

Do you have any recommendations regarding the best pistons / rods for a Coyote gen 3, that is intended to remain naturally aspirated? The target is about 500-550 hp. No need for 2000 hp. :wink:

The following criteria should apply:
- price does not matter
- as light as possible
- as long lasting as possible
- cylinders will be Darton sleeved

Thank you and regards
Sponsored

Decible

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 HP
It’s all personal preference but I’ve always used JE pistons/Carrillo rods with nice 7/16 bolts. JE has a nice “ultimate” FSR piston that comes standard with some nice goodies. If going FI invest in the upgraded wrist pins.

PS - call both companies tell them your long term goals and desired power levels and they will get you what you need.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The target is about 500-550 hp naturally aspirated .
Stock, end thread. And why a sleeved block for N/A?

But if you must build it, K1 rods are the lightest I've seen at 596 grams and they come with 7/16 bolts. Mahle powerpack pistons are strong and lightweight, you don't need 2618 pistons for this.

LxMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Gt.
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of engines making above those numbers on the stock short block and heads.

White_Bear_92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Base 10 speed
Genuine question. Why? I feel like this is money much better spent somewhere else. Stock rods and pistons can handle several hundred horsepower over that no problem.

Sponsored

OP
OP
phsc84

phsc84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I want the best and most durable naturally aspirated engine. I have no interest in supercharging it, because I love the characteristics of a naturally aspirated engine (you have to work more with them, because they simply don't always have plenty of power).

OP
OP
phsc84

phsc84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
And thanks everybody for your hints!

@EFI
The Mahle pistons are quite interesting. They seem to be one of the lightest pistons for the Coyote out there.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Saenz titanium connecting rods & Mahle custom spec'd pistons.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I want the best and most durable naturally aspirated engine.
Read this article on the durability testing the Coyote went through. Quoted below the relevant part.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/m5lp-1003-2011-ford-mustang-gt-50-coyote-engine/

Engines run fatigue cycles equivalent to 62 Daytona 500 races. Others replicate customer drive cycles for 1,000 running hours to include 1,000 cold starts, plus hitting its peak torque and power for sustained periods. That test alone runs 100 hours a week for two and a half months.

We witnessed another torture session where the engine was run at WOT for several minutes, the headers glowing just a hint of red, then the engine shut off and after several seconds of sitting, -20 degree ice water was forced through the cooling system. Frost formed on the test rig as the engine was about frozen to death, then the ice water stopped, the engine started and after a handful of seconds idling was taken back to max rpm, max load for another heat cycle up to 225 degrees. Each complete cycle takes about 10 minutes, and the engine must survive days of these non-stop thermal shocks.

Most incredibly, "It can't be on its last legs at the end of the test."

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
The coyote was built to abuse. If it's not broken, don't fix it. Especially if staying NA.

VictorH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Victor
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
If you want your N/A engine to really "come alive" then go for Ti Rods. I've used the Pauter chrome moly rods and they are absolutely bullet proof. I'd suggest you ask them about a custom Titanium rod.
https://pauter.com/

Sins550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 5.0 PP
I can understand your vision with the pistons and rods, but id' use the sleeve money on something else honestly.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If your honestly going to stay under 600whp/550tq, the only thing you should do is a good set of pistons.