Sponsored

Best Oil opinions for new EcoBoost Turbo Mustang

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
So, you are suggesting against using T6 if maintaining warranty is important?
That would be my interpretation of Ford's requirements. I think everyone will have to make up their own mind if using an oil formulated for use in a diesel engine is worth the potential risk to their warranty coverage.

I'm sticking with Mobil 1 based on independent testing and warranty compatibility. There are lots of good brands other than Mobil, it's just my choice.

Jim
Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Thanks, looks like i'll stick with my good ol' motul 5W40.

That would be my interpretation of Ford's requirements. I think everyone will have to make up their own mind if using an oil formulated for use in a diesel engine is worth the potential risk to their warranty coverage.

I'm sticking with Mobil 1 based on independent testing and warranty compatibility. There are lots of good brands other than Mobil, it's just my choice.

Jim

OP
OP
TheZman

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack

Jim
How does Valvoline full systhetic hold up in the new latest testing??

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does Valvoline full systhetic hold up in the new latest testing??
Vavoline, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Titanium and Quakerstate 5W30 synthetic API SN oils all rank as excellent. The link for the wear tests in my 1st post is a wealth of knowledge. Also, Bob the Oil Guy's website used oil analysis forum is invaluable to see how well an oil performs.

It should also be noted that one brands 5W30 oil may rate excellent but other weights may not. If I had a car that called for 5W20, I'd use Castrol Titanium instead of Mobil 1.

Take a look!

Jim

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
If I had a car that called for 5W20, I'd use Castrol Titanium instead of Mobil 1.

Take a look!

Jim
Jim - Thanks for the info. curious about the recommendation of the Castrol Titanium for 5w-20? Any more information or links on this?

Sponsored

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Do you remember what magnetic drain plug you used? I've been trying to find information on the size with no success.

Thank you.
I've made most of my own magnetic plugs. Go to http://www.kjmagnetics.com and order a disc magnet that's closest in diameter to the plug (the D66SH should work fine). Remove the plug, clean it, mix some 5 minute epoxy, add a few drops of the epoxy to the plug, seat the magnet, let it cure - and you're done.

SH grade neos are perfectly fine for use inside motors as the Curie temp is up over 340 deg C. Yes, you start to lose some magnetic force above 150 deg C, but that's well past the temps you'll see in the oil pan!

OP
OP
TheZman

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Vavoline, Pennzoil Ultra, Castrol Titanium and Quakerstate 5W30 synthetic API SN oils all rank as excellent. The link for the wear tests in my 1st post is a wealth of knowledge. Also, Bob the Oil Guy's website used oil analysis forum is invaluable to see how well an oil performs.

It should also be noted that one brands 5W30 oil may rate excellent but other weights may not. If I had a car that called for 5W20, I'd use Castrol Titanium instead of Mobil 1.

Take a look!

Jim
Good to know.. Ill probably go with Valvoline then..

obk787

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP Oxford White
Liqui Moly for me since I was big into BMWs as well as have few friends with shops and all they use on M3s are Liqui Molu. If its good for BMW its good for me :)

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Ford and all other manufacturers spec API SN oil for gas engine vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles are speced for API CJ4. Here are the differences. Pay close attention to the comments regarding impact to catalytic convertors;

SN - Current Standard Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

CJ-4 Current Standard For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

The bottom line is, if you have engine problems your warranty could be impacted due to incorrect classification oil use in the engine. Oil companies create special blend oils for diesel vs gas for specific reasons. YMMV....

I'll stay with scientific test results rather than anecdotal evidence.

Jim
Rotella also has a API SM rating for use in gasoline engines too.

Sponsored

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
Rotella also has a API SM rating for use in gasoline engines too.
The Delo xl 5W-30 synthetic is also API CJ-4 and SN rated. I'm sure with some investigation a good number of these diesel oils will be SN rated and therefore warranty compliant.

So to dispel the myth that this thread will inevitably create:

USING A DIESEL OIL WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

There are plenty of gasoline oils that aren't SN rated either. So look into what you're getting and be safe in the knowledge your warranty is intact.

Last edited:

DeepImpactBlue2015EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost Premium & '13 Kia Optima
how about Royal Purple, is that any good?

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Delo xl 5W-30 synthetic is also API CJ-4 and SN rated. I'm sure with some investigation a good number of these diesel oils will be SN rated and therefore warranty compliant.

So to dispel the myth that this thread will inevitably create:

USING A DIESEL OIL WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

There are plenty of gasoline oils that aren't SN rated either. So look into what you're getting and be safe in the knowledge your warranty is intact.
I think you misunderstood my post. I would not see a problem with any 5W30 API SN rated oil from a warranty perspective.

If you lose a rod, etc. that requires major engine repairs, new short/long block could easily be a warranty problem. I was a service manager at a GM dealership many years ago and routinely had to fight with the factory rep over warranty claims. Big dollar stuff was always approved before the repair. Based on my conversation with the service department at my Ford dealer, things haven't changed much. Using incorrect oil isn't hard to detect.

You've got to remember, warranty's are for defects in workmanship or materials. If you have a major mechanical problem and they can point to abuse, incorrect maintenance or modifications, you've left the door open for a claim denial.

That was the point of my post. Any 5W30 SN oil should be just fine. Everyone has their favorites.

Jim

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
Jholtz I believe we're more on the same page than you realize. I appreciated the fact that you mentioned the API ratings early on as they are important if you are concerned with your warranty. The point I was bringing to this discussion is many of your diesel oils are also engineered for and marketed to the gasoline engine crowd. Especially when you get into fleet maintenance where it benefits them to not stock multiple different oils and try to remember what vehicle is supposed to get what oil.

A quote I pulled off a fleet maintenance website: ( ignore the brand reference I'm not trying to promote it was just the first example I came across)

Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is approved for API Service Categories CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, SN; Mack EO-O Premium Plus; Renault VI RLD-3; and Volvo VDS-4. Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-30 is also recommended for use in Caterpillar engines in off-highway or construction applications in conditions where SAE 5W-30 viscosity grade is recommended. In addition, it meets the requirements of ACEA European Service Categories E-6, E-7 and E-9.

Delo 400 LE Synthetic SAE 5W-30, to be available in the fourth quarter, is formulated for use with low sulfur and ultra low sulfur diesel fuels, gasoline, most gasoline fuel blends, and many biofuel formulations.

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Does anyone know if there is a higher capacity oil filter available? Wix brand preferably.
Sponsored