Sponsored

Best Oil opinions for new EcoBoost Turbo Mustang

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
There is..Its called Moble 1 Twin 20w50 especially made for bikes..
Ahhh... I'd not looked at motorcycle oils. Check the motorcycle forum for oil analysis and see where the SUS viscosity number is for Mobil 1. I suspect it's on the lower end of the scale.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I had to go and browse Bob the Oil Guys oil analysis forums. It appears that 50 weight Mobil 1 is on the low side of 50 weight oil. It doesn't look like its a good match for your Harley. However, Mobil 1 5W30 viscosity is solid in the 30 range. My EB is very quiet and smooth with it.

HTH

Jim
Sponsored

Last edited:

Shanghai Dan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Convertible in Race Red
Maybe sport bikes, but Harley's are not running high RPM's..
They tend to cruise around 3000-3500 RPM. And there is significantly more crankcase pressure as the crankcase is a LOT smaller, so blowby pumps the pressure up. Add in short rods and a crank and you tend to foam the oil a lot faster.

Harley recommends synthetic motorcycle oil for a reason. Just like all other bike makers. The additives that reduce foaming and maintain viscosity are critical to proper oiling in the engine. Feel free to run regular car motor oil if you like - I'll stick with what the manufacturers (of the bike AND oils) recommend.

stormtrooper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chance
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I opted for Brad Penn Green oil. My buddies shop he works at is all they use in their 1000hp+ Supras, Vipers and whatever else they build.

Dirtleg

BoostCreep
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
15' EB Prem PP, 07' GT (track Car), 01' RC51, 16" S1000XR
Well I'm in the diesel oil camp. Ran it in my turbo BMW and my turbo diesel. Used the Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic for those who aren't familiar) and had great results. I had the apparently problematic (mine never was) 6.0. One of the big problems with those motors was injector coking of the oil which led to injector failure.
A little background. 6.0 injectors are a double solenoid controlled high pressure oil fired injector used to inject the fuel up to 25,000 psi. To do this they used a high pressure oil pump to raise the injector oil pressure to up to 4000 psi. Absolute murder on oil due to excessive shearing forces.

At 160,000 miles I never had any injector issues. One of the symptoms of injector coking was rough starts on cold mornings. I didn't have cold start issues ever.

Another oil I was trying that impressed me was the synthetic Delo. It is one I'll look at trying again in the EB.

So yeah not really scientific but long term results are hard to ignore. Besides science is just so full of "theories" anyway.......

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
Rotella T6. Used it on my speed and m3. Helped with the fuel dilution on the mazdaspeed which I'm assuming will be the same on this car.

Mobil 1 had terrible resistance to fuel dilution and engine became noisy as hell.

Sponsored

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Rotella T6. Used it on my speed and m3. Helped with the fuel dilution on the mazdaspeed which I'm assuming will be the same on this car.

Mobil 1 had terrible resistance to fuel dilution and engine became noisy as hell.
I'm with this guy^

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
While I've ran GC in my Audi's and Ford's, I've always used Rotella in my DSMs. It's a great oil, especially for the price!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
Just did oil change at 1075 miles. Motorcraft 5w30 blend. Put in magnetic oil plug. Coincidentally, my new K&N arrived and just dropped it in too. Bought maint. plan so every 5k at the dealer down the road. Wondering about blend or full synthetic.
Do you remember what magnetic drain plug you used? I've been trying to find information on the size with no success.

Thank you.

Sponsored
OP
OP
TheZman

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack
Well I'm in the diesel oil camp. Ran it in my turbo BMW and my turbo diesel. Used the Shell Rotella T6 (synthetic for those who aren't familiar) and had great results. I had the apparently problematic (mine never was) 6.0. One of the big problems with those motors was injector coking of the oil which led to injector failure.
A little background. 6.0 injectors are a double solenoid controlled high pressure oil fired injector used to inject the fuel up to 25,000 psi. To do this they used a high pressure oil pump to raise the injector oil pressure to up to 4000 psi. Absolute murder on oil due to excessive shearing forces.

At 160,000 miles I never had any injector issues. One of the symptoms of injector coking was rough starts on cold mornings. I didn't have cold start issues ever.

Another oil I was trying that impressed me was the synthetic Delo. It is one I'll look at trying again in the EB.

So yeah not really scientific but long term results are hard to ignore. Besides science is just so full of "theories" anyway.......
Yep same engine i had in my f250.. 6.0 Powerstroke. The Rotella T6 oil was great.. also ran it in my WRX. . And ive been thinking of running it in my new Turbo Mustang as well. Part of the reason i started this thread..

OP
OP
TheZman

TheZman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 392 Challenger Scat Pack

Yep.. i hear ya!!

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Was wondering how Motul X-Cess 5W40 compared to the T6. Coming from VW group a lot of people swear by the T6. However, since it was not approved by VW standards many did not use it as it would case warranty issues.

Does Ford have any restrictions to the types of oils we use? I REALLY want to try the T6, but I have always swore by Motul x-cess.

Thanks!

jholtz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Ford and all other manufacturers spec API SN oil for gas engine vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles are speced for API CJ4. Here are the differences. Pay close attention to the comments regarding impact to catalytic convertors;

SN - Current Standard Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

CJ-4 Current Standard For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

The bottom line is, if you have engine problems your warranty could be impacted due to incorrect classification oil use in the engine. Oil companies create special blend oils for diesel vs gas for specific reasons. YMMV....

I'll stay with scientific test results rather than anecdotal evidence.

Jim

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
So, you are suggesting against using T6 if maintaining warranty is important?

Ford and all other manufacturers spec API SN oil for gas engine vehicles. Diesel powered vehicles are speced for API CJ4. Here are the differences. Pay close attention to the comments regarding impact to catalytic convertors;

SN - Current Standard Introduced in October 2010, designed to provide improved high temperature deposit protection for pistons, more stringent sludge control, and seal compatibility. API SN with Resource Conserving matches ILSAC GF-5 by combining API SN performance with improved fuel economy, turbocharger protection, emission control system compatibility, and protection of engines operating on ethanol-containing fuels up to E85.

CJ-4 Current Standard For high-speed four-stroke cycle diesel engines designed to meet 2010 model year on-highway and Tier 4 nonroad exhaust emission standards as well as for previous model year diesel engines. These oils are formulated for use in all
applications with diesel fuels ranging in sulfur content up to 500 ppm (0.05% by weight). However, the use of these oils
with greater than 15 ppm (0.0015% by weight) sulfur fuel may impact exhaust aftertreatment system durability and/or
drain interval. CJ-4 oils are especially effective at sustaining emission control system durability where particulate filters
and other advanced aftertreatment systems are used. Optimum protection is provided for control of catalyst poisoning,
particulate filter blocking, engine wear, piston deposits, low- and high-temperature stability, soot handling properties, oxidative thickening, foaming, and viscosity loss due to shear. API CJ-4 oils exceed the performance criteria of API CI-4 with CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4, CG-4 and CF-4 and can effectively lubricate engines calling for those API Service Categories. When using CJ-4 oil with higher than 15 ppm sulfur fuel, consult the engine manufacturer for service interval.

The bottom line is, if you have engine problems your warranty could be impacted due to incorrect classification oil use in the engine. Oil companies create special blend oils for diesel vs gas for specific reasons. YMMV....

I'll stay with scientific test results rather than anecdotal evidence.

Jim
Sponsored