Best no tune cai 2018+

tthrash2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp gt
Scared to tune with the ticking going around. I have 7k miles on my 5.0. I had random idle bbq tick. Dealer says it’s fine. I put ceratec in and runs smooth now. I was wonder what is the best no tune cai. Is there any gains with going with one other than sound.
Thanks
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
No, get a drop in filter, take out the carbon trap and call it a day. That's what I would do with an 18+. Otherwise, you're buying it for noise and looks under the hood. You'd have to go with a tune only one to see some gains and majority of those are in the higher RPM's.

Personally, I'm going to install the Steeda closed box CAI tune only here soon because I want the lower IAT's paired with the Velossatech big mouth. It has a massive MAF diameter too. I only plan on running 93 octane so it should not be an issue. That intake only has issues with flex fuel tunes.

luv2drum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
The best no tune intake is the factory one.
I agree. I would purchase a washable drop-in filter like the Airaid dry panel filter to compliment the stock airbox.

If you want to run an aftermarket intake system just for looks under the hood. PMAS and Roush offer a no-tune required system.

Yareen1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yareen
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
No, get a drop in filter, take out the carbon trap and call it a day. That's what I would do with an 18+. Otherwise, you're buying it for noise and looks under the hood. You'd have to go with a tune only one to see some gains and majority of those are in the higher RPM's.

Personally, I'm going to install the Steeda closed box CAI tune only here soon because I want the lower IAT's paired with the Velossatech big mouth. It has a massive MAF diameter too. I only plan on running 93 octane so it should not be an issue. That intake only has issues with flex fuel tunes.

Would you give the same advise for a 2017?

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Would you give the same advise for a 2017?
Considering both intakes are the same, yes. I went aftermarket for tuning capability, but the stock with a drop in filter is every bit as good. You can squeeze out a bit more power in the upper RPM's from the tune only type ones. I went with the Steeda closed one to keep temps down but still have that large MAF diameter for tuning on 93 octane.

It's not very cost effective, but I enjoy intakes that are tuned properly and make sense.

OP
OP
tthrash2

tthrash2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Blake
Vehicle(s)
2018 pp gt
I saw k and n came out with some on American muscle. What is the quality of those compared to a Roush.

luv2drum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I saw k and n came out with some on American muscle. What is the quality of those compared to a Roush.
I have not personally owned a Roush or K&N intake, but Roush is going to be more, "OEM" quality compared to the K&N. I would also assume that fitment would be better with the Roush intake as well.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase

Great choice!

When you are ready - let me know!!

TJ

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Great choice!

When you are ready - let me know!!

TJ
I already have one boxed up in my office ready to install with my 18 manifold. I'm just waiting on the stock air duct (2018 version is backordered) and the lower half of the air box and clips to ship.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I put an AEM dry filter in my OEM air box. Actually gave it a smidge of low end oomf. Outside of that , not much of a difference.
Sponsored