Sponsored

Best badass mustang

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I dunno. Even given 50 years of progress I think the enthusiasts of late 60s - early 70s would pick our cars. I’ll bet even a stock base model EB would put a serious scare into most first gen Mach 1 / Boss Mustangs. Fresh off the showroom floor Mustangs with trap speeds of ~100 to low 130s. And I bet they’d like the way they look now also.
Sponsored

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I dunno. Even given 50 years of progress I think the enthusiasts of late 60s - early 70s would pick our cars. I’ll bet even a stock base model EB would put a serious scare into most first gen Mach 1 / Boss Mustangs. Fresh off the showroom floor Mustangs with trap speeds of ~100 to low 130s. And I bet they’d like the way they look now also.
I am not so sure. I have a 2021 Mach 1 on order, and I have a 71 mach 1 (that I have never driven mind you) but I have driven a 20 PP2, other 71 mach 1s, 65 gt350s, and a few other older mustangs. I have sitting outside 3 newer ford trucks, (newer, being 2002, 2006, 2014, and had a 2009 until recently as well), with one of the F250s having 800hp and torque

I still daily my 86 bronco instead, and will continue to do so even after the 2021 Mach 1 gets in. once I have the 71 rebuilt, I'll likely drive it more than the '21. There is something raw and visceral about driving the classics, with overboosted power steering when it had it, about being essentially nothing more than 5 wheels and an engine. not refined.

As for the looks. The current mustangs are by far the best looking since '72 (the proportions on '73 with the front bumper just makes it look goofy) but with how everything is designed today, the mustang is just missing it's complete own persona that 64.5-72 had. Still one of the better looking cars made in the last few years, but still not as good as the originals (I might be willing to say that the GT350R does exude it's own.....je ne se quia....that even the GT500 does not quite capture). The sharper lines, lower beltlines. the melding of curves along the body with straight lines down the length. The larger greenhouses of the older designs. The new designs are just pale imitations with a modern twist and aero, but less character. Even the 'vette, while looking amazing as the C8, lost some of it's curb appeal simply by no longer looking like a 'vette, but an italian import, although very good reasons for those changes. But still, after almost 60 years of a very iconic shape, it is gone. (even though it is by far the best performing 'vette made, ever. Much of the same reason I prefer the gen 2 GT40s over the current Gen 3s.

(to add to a comment above, the GT500 looks like a beefed up stronger bigger brother to the GT. The GT350R though looks more refined, targeted. Think a body builder vs say, a fencer. The GT350R is more reminiscent of the GT350s and GT500s of the 60s, while the GT500 is more reminiscent of the 69 Boss 429)

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
I remember reading an article years ago about the SN197 (introduction) being styled to look like it could "kick your ass."' That was the start of the revival of the Mustang for me in modern times, and I agreed with that assessment at the time - it was an aggressively styled Mustang after years of horrible malaise. The S550 is even more aggressive, and that's what pulled my trigger. I fell in love with a 1973 Mach 1, and I've got a modern version that's close enough for now.

Jimmy Dean

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
71 mach 1, 82 Bronco, 86 Bronco (dd),
I remember reading an article years ago about the SN197 (introduction) being styled to look like it could "kick your ass."' That was the start of the revival of the Mustang for me in modern times, and I agreed with that assessment at the time - it was an aggressively styled Mustang after years of horrible malaise. The S550 is even more aggressive, and that's what pulled my trigger. I fell in love with a 1973 Mach 1, and I've got a modern version that's close enough for now.
I Agree. I used to not like the fox's, hate the melted lozenges, and the new edge's were...ok. the 2005 redeux was amazing. the S550 is just..... O.O .... best thing since 72 imo. Granted, as I have gotten older, the fox's have grown on me alot. the new edges have fallen slightly minus the special models (mach, Cobra R....don't care for the 2003+cobra in looks....) and the melted lozenge mustangs are still just......blah.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Carbide

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Race Red w/white stripes Shelby GT350
Definitely not the one from Charlie's Angels...

Sponsored

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I Agree. I used to not like the fox's, hate the melted lozenges, and the new edge's were...ok. the 2005 redeux was amazing. the S550 is just..... O.O .... best thing since 72 imo. Granted, as I have gotten older, the fox's have grown on me alot. the new edges have fallen slightly minus the special models (mach, Cobra R....don't care for the 2003+cobra in looks....) and the melted lozenge mustangs are still just......blah.
I always thought the 85-86 GT and 87-93 LX 5.0s looked great, esp the hatchback. I agree about the lozenge years, but the new edges always looked great to me. Unbelievably terrible interiors though. I personally think the S550s look great, best of all years with two exceptions: 69 anything (esp Boss 429) and the 68 Bullitt movie car.

I had a 72 in my youth and I thought I was the only one who liked it…too many “fat pig” comments. Nice to hear I’m not alone…

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I always thought the 85-86 GT and 87-93 LX 5.0s looked great, esp the hatchback. I agree about the lozenge years, but the new edges always looked great to me. Unbelievably terrible interiors though. I personally think the S550s look great, best of all years with two exceptions: 69 anything (esp Boss 429) and the 68 Bullitt movie car.

I had a 72 in my youth and I thought I was the only one who liked it…too many “fat pig” comments. Nice to hear I’m not alone…
And they were lighter than the S550 Mustangs, but similar in size.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Decepticon Barricade

Ford-Mustang-Transformers-Barricade.jpg