BBQ tick :(

FinitePrimus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Has anybody waited the full 10k miles for the first oil change as per the owner manual? I have a ‘21 and I am wondering if changing it prior could be the cause.
I didn't go 10k miles, but I took my first oil change right to about 5% oil life on the onboard monitor (around 6000km) and then got my first oil change - full synthetic. No tick yet.

I followed the manufacturers suggestion vs. changing at 1k like a lot of people recommend. My gut theory on the tick is that there is some additives in the original oil to help with break-in. Time will tell. If you take a totally non-scientific approach and search this forum for 'tick' you'll find almost every post starts with someone who did their initial oil change after a very low mileage and now noticed the tick right on the 2nd or 3rd oil change.
Sponsored

KKMC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 2022 Mustang GT Manual 5.0
I didn't want to start a new on on the BBQ/Typewriter tick, but I wanted to share my experience in case it is of any value to someone.
My car has the tick. It seems to have started after the first oil change, but I didn't actively check for it before then.
Anyway, I just drained the synthetic oil I was using to put in Pennzoil Ultra Platinum (often referred to as PUP), as some people have stated it quiets the tick. In my case (after only one drive) it did not quiet the tick. FWIW, I changed and pre-filled the filter, too (as always).
The car is running well and uses no oil. I have about 5,300 miles on it right now.

RalphK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP2
As I mentioned in another thread oil cavitating can cause a metal tick in other application. Changing viscosity can decrease cavitation.

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
Did you guys only experience the BBQ tick at idle or also when driving slowly or reving up to 1.5-2k RPMs?

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Did you guys only experience the BBQ tick at idle or also when driving slowly or reving up to 1.5-2k RPMs?

no worry, above 6k you won't hear it

Sponsored

Rocket630

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I used 5w20 Mobil 1 in my 2014 and had the tick, after my first oil change at Ford with the Motorcraft 5w30 in my Mach it has the tick too. Going to drive it and ignore it. No one has ever commented on th tick noise. Both cars run great and I will drive them like I stole them.
The Coyote is a great engine and will soon be gone as the world changes to smaller displacement engines. Enjoy these great affordable sports cars.

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
I hear it at idle and when driving slowly near walls or something
Same for me, especially in my underground parking... reflecting from the walls and ground which is all made out of concrete...

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Just add some Cera Tec to the oil and move on with your life.

Nwagtmustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt
My 2015 had it since day one. Has kver 100k miles on it. Still running strong. My 21 I just bought with 5k miles on it has it as well. It's fine nothing to worry about.

aero84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Morais
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020
My 2015 had it since day one. Has kver 100k miles on it. Still running strong. My 21 I just bought with 5k miles on it has it as well. It's fine nothing to worry about.
And you also have the ticking noise when reving / driving slowly, like 1.5k RPMS?
Sponsored