Sponsored

Basic mods (if any) for a gen 2 coyote motor for better lower rpm torque.

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
I don't think anyone is arguing that it doesn't make good power at the low end, but the Ecoboost falls flat on its face at 5k rpm. Unless you're stop sign racing or in traffic, that's about all the thrill you'll get aside from taking it on some back road twisties.
Not only that, it won’t have the same roar as the Coyote, no offense to any Ecoboost owners. Also any Coyote owner bought it because they opted for the V8.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Some of the guys running Ecoboost exceeding 375 WHP and 450 WTQ are:
1. Watch My Eco on YouTube. He's also ran 11.70s with it.
2. David Rogers on
www.mustangecoboost.net
3. Giddy Up on www.mustangecoboost.net
My own stock 2018 Ecoboost, with 10R80,
runs 13.20s on 235/50/18 all seasons.
I am not searching a forum for the details of a single member's build. You are running 13.20? Stock A10 GTs are running 11.8. Something tells me there is a lot of money into these 450 lb-ft cars.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
I am not searching a forum for the details of a single member's build. You are running 13.20? Stock A10 GTs are running 11.8. Something tells me there is a lot of money into these 450 lb-ft cars.
Yes, I've run 13.20s with my stocker. If you don't want to look at the examples I gave you in forums, you could check out Watch My Eco on YouTube. You can see his car on a Dyno and see it run at the track. To see the dyno no.s I mentioned, you need a drop in air filter($39), bigger intercooler ($300-$1000), Cobb Accessport($500),
waste gate actuator ($140), one heat range colder spark plugs($32), and an E30 tune ($350 for lifetime e-tunes from Tune+). That's $1361 with a $300 intercooler, for 375 whp & 450 wtq. That will get you into the low 12s, with an automatic and good driver and 60 ft time.
You'll need wider rear wheels and drag radials, to get into the 11s.

Last edited:
OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Nothing wrong with the turbo Mustangs, if some can remember the SVO? That was the first performance Mustang with a 4cyl turbo.
Turbo's and electric cars are the future I truly believe that. They are much more efficient engines.

I never thought I was going to ever get another naturally aspirated car, but this Coyote engine is really special, I believe it is probably the best V8 motor ever made power to displacement ratio and robustness reliability. This is why I got one myself, was actually looking for a Terminator originally, but for the same price to geta Coyote engine that can be reliability boosted, I changed my mind...I am not even sure if it needs to be boosted, maybe just a good Dyno tune.

I already got the rear Steeda subframe braces, the bushings support incerts, and the subframe alignment kit installed over the weekend. Will drive it like this for few months now to learn the car better, before going further.

OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Well, just to close this thread for anyone else who was in the same boat as me.

So after reading many threads and speaking with GT owners, I was able to achieve what I was looking for, which is better low RPM throttle response and torque.

What I did is the following,

1. First, I installed the rear Steeda cradel lock out kit, and Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support. This helped with the wheel hop and handling, but it was not enough to improve the feel of the low RPM power.

2. I got a basic 93 tune for the car. This woke up the car and improved the low end throttle response and power. I can now spin the tires in first and second gear relatively easy, without the need of the clutch. The car pulls harder at lower RPM. I believe this is a combination of a change in the mapping of the throttle response, giving more fuel at the beginning of the throttle travel, and providing more timing early.

3. When I got the 93 tune, I decided to spend the extra $200 for the Flex and E85 tune, just to see what the difference is in how the car feels. Well, the E85 tune is definitely more noticeable in lower end torque delivery. This makes sense as the timing is given even earlier in the RPM now, as E85 has a very controllable detonation, thus it is safe to provide the timing early.

As a conclusion, depending on what you are looking for as an improvement, there are definitely few relatively low cost options on the table to improve low end power delivery.
Sponsored