Sponsored

Basic mods (if any) for a gen 2 coyote motor for better lower rpm torque.

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Hi all,
Have been doing some reading, but could not find a definite answer to this subject.

Without spending a ton of money, which mods are proven to provide substantial low end torque increase for lower rpm power? This is for the second generation coyote only, so 2015 to 2017 GTs with the 3.73 rear end ratio.

Is just a tune and an intake enough to make a substantial feel in the low end power, or is much more needed, like headers, 2018 manifold, or a supercharger?

Thanks in advance for any real life experience info on this subject.
Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Yes, a proper tune can make a huge noticeable difference in power, especially down low.

Headers won't make that much of a difference as the stock shorties are pretty good, if anything the power increase comes from removing the cats. 2018 manifold will actually lose low end power so skip it if that's what you're looking for. Superchargers are a whole nother level.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, a proper tune can make a huge noticeable difference in power, especially down low.

Headers won't make that much of a difference as the stock shorties are pretty good, if anything the power increase comes from removing the cats. 2018 manifold will actually lose low end power so skip it if that's what you're looking for. Superchargers are a whole nother level.
It doesn't though, it just doesn't gain any.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
You know, I never feel like my GT lacks low end power - I spend so little time in the lower RPM range, and heck, it barely has traction now (with 305s out back ...). Maybe it's my mix of manual + 3.73 (PP) gears + tune [?]

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
You know, I never feel like my GT lacks low end power - I spend so little time in the lower RPM range, and heck, it barely has traction now (with 305s out back ...). Maybe it's my mix of manual + 3.73 (PP) gears + tune [?]
Yeah I find it funny people seem to talk about lack of low end, when just a few years back the Mach1 was making a solid 100TQ less, but was called Torq-y.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
A good tune will definitely beef up low end torque. My mt82 car with 3.31s was basically useless in 6th gear even if I needed just a tiny bit of acceleration at 70mph. The tune makes it a lot easier to gain a bit of speed if needed to pass or whatever.

OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
A good tune will definitely beef up low end torque. My mt82 car with 3.31s was basically useless in 6th gear even if I needed just a tiny bit of acceleration at 70mph. The tune makes it a lot easier to gain a bit of speed if needed to pass or whatever.
This is what I am trying to overcome during normal day to day cruising. On the track I am sure this is not an issue at 6k rpm, but it is nice to have the power at 3k or lower when you need without downshifting.

This is exactly what I am coming across when reading about this topic, some say big gains and some not noticeable.

Coming from a 3.5 sec 0 to 60 car is not hard to see why I am looking for more low end torque.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
This is what I am trying to overcome during normal day to day cruising. On the track I am sure this is not an issue at 6k rpm, but it is nice to have the power at 3k or lower when you need without downshifting.

This is exactly what I am coming across when reading about this topic, some say big gains and some not noticeable.

Coming from a 3.5 sec 0 to 60 car is not hard to see why I am looking for more low end torque.
It's not a night and day difference but it is definitely enough to notice at low rpms. The coyote definitely wants to rev to make real power though. It will never be much of a down low torque monster N/A.

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
I noticed a difference in my 2017 with the power pack 2. They market it for low end tq, Power Pack 3 would be for high end tq. It won't be a huge difference but I noticed it. To me this would be lower end price wise compared to anything else.

Sponsored
OP
OP
onlyturbo

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
I noticed a difference in my 2017 with the power pack 2. They market it for low end tq, Power Pack 3 would be for high end tq. It won't be a huge difference but I noticed it. To me this would be lower end price wise compared to anything else.
It looks like power pack 1 may be best bang for the buck. Same +40ftlb at 1500 rpm as the power pack 2 I need to look more into this. A bonus is you get to keep the warranty...

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
It looks like power pack 1 may be best bang for the buck. Same +40ftlb at 1500 rpm as the power pack 2 I need to look more into this. A bonus is you get to keep the warranty...
I'll just add a down side is the open air box with the power pack 2. The issue is the hood vent right above it when washing the car. It wouldn't get wet but mine did grow some green mold pretty quick.

blackyote_317

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I'll just add a down side is the open air box with the power pack 2. The issue is the hood vent right above it when washing the car. It wouldn't get wet but mine did grow some green mold pretty quick.
Mold only happens if it gets wet though :) I've heard people who are worried about water but I've never had this issue with my PMAS.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Everyone is going to tell you to just downshift and rev it, but before that starts....

The F150 manifold shows solid power gains under 6k but falls on its face after 6k. If that's worth it to you then that will be your best bet and will accomplish exactly what you're asking for.

If you have the funds then a PD supercharger will by far be the best option for gobs of power everywhere lol.

Tune it either way for sure

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Cat delete adds low end hp and torque, heres a good example
Sponsored