FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Ok man, whatever you got to say. I edited my post because somehow you failed to understand what I’m saying. If you got anything else to add feel free to call my detailer. PM me and I’ll give you his number, otherwise I don’t care.
what I read is, your detailer said the install is wrong. there's no way for them to mess it up. clean surface, remove tape plop the spoiler into holes, put bolts on under side. there's nothing to mess up lol. I just think your detailer saw dirt, and assuming the thing was filthy when installed.

edit, I guess im wrong? I swore I read you said your installer saw dirt/thought was incorrectly installed. still my comment remains, there's no way that the people who toss these on the cars everyday is going to install it wrong.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
what I read is, your detailer said the install is wrong. there's no way for them to mess it up. clean surface, remove tape plop the spoiler into holes, put bolts on under side. there's nothing to mess up lol. I just think your detailer saw dirt, and assuming the thing was filthy when installed.
Well your misunderstanding is honestly not worth my time arguing with and I honestly don’t care enough to correct you so thanks for your input.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Wow I missed this post, I have the exact same issue, I noticed the front end of the Spolier (opposite the bolts) is separating from the trunk, but since I will be changing the wing to the CFTP it wont be an issue for me, but that is a problem when its separating in less than a year.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Wow I missed this post, I have the exact same issue, I noticed the front end of the Spolier (opposite the bolts) is separating from the trunk, but since I will be changing the wing to the CFTP it wont be an issue for me, but that is a problem when its separating in less than a year.
So with a few of us having this issue it would seem to me that either the tape isn’t strong enough or the surface of the trunk is not prepped right to promote adhesion at the factory (or prepped at all). I’m waiting to see if my detail guy’s solution will work, if not I’ll be taking it to the dealer.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Has to be random cars not prepped correctly. I could literally tow a truck using my spoiler with just the 3m tape. The metal will certainly deform before the tape fails. Also could be application temp....if you apply in cold temps sometimes the bond never happens.

Sponsored

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
So with a few of us having this issue it would seem to me that either the tape isn’t strong enough or the surface of the trunk is not prepped right to promote adhesion at the factory (or prepped at all). I’m waiting to see if my detail guy’s solution will work, if not I’ll be taking it to the dealer.
See the funny thing on mine is I see a gap, a noticeable one at that and looking at it doesnt look like there was any double-sided tape (even shined a flashlight on it) I wont know for sure what is really going on until next week when hope I get my CFTP wing back from refinishing and have the base taken off to see what is happening or what they did.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Has to be random cars not prepped correctly. I could literally tow a truck using my spoiler with just the 3m tape. The metal will certainly deform before the tape fails. Also could be application temp....if you apply in cold temps sometimes the bond never happens.
Go ahead and remove the fasteners and literally try it. Let us know how that goes. :crazy:

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My build date was in March. Not a warm month in Detroit lol. But I have no idea when the car gets the swing and when it goes outside the plant.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
3M VHB the black stuff, not the grey + adhesion promoter. It's a must for spoiler installs. I would advise against scuffing the paint.

3M VHB #12X12-6-5962
3M Adhesion promoter wipes
Thanks for this once again.

I followed your advice. I also made 4 load spreaders from light angle iron and additional 2-sided tape. Now those tiny nuts are clamping on a much larger area of the trunk sheet metal.

The spoiler is stuck down really well and I feel pretty confident it isn't going anywhere.

ADDGAMER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Had this issue in my 2019 GT350. Build date of 3/19, delivery 7/19. Lots of body issues with the tape from the spoiler to the fender vents lifting from sitting outside in Detroit. Ford dealer did a horrible attempt to fix it. Ended up having my brother in laws body shop fix it correctly.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Thanks for this once again.

I followed your advice. I also made 4 load spreaders from light angle iron and additional 2-sided tape. Now those tiny nuts are clamping on a much larger area of the trunk sheet metal.

The spoiler is stuck down really well and I feel pretty confident it isn't going anywhere.
Glad it worked out for you.
I just recently re-attached my PP1 wing spoiler. Within months of buying the car new, the spoiler started lifting off at the ends. It progressively became worse to the point that my OCD couldn't handle it. What a complete pain in the butt to remove and clean the adhesive residue off. It's on there good now and the 3M VHB part# that I provided the link for is slightly thicker than the factory applied tape and seems to be much stronger and better at filling in gaps.

TN_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Glad it worked out for you.
I just recently re-attached my PP1 wing spoiler. Within months of buying the car new, the spoiler started lifting off at the ends. It progressively became worse to the point that my OCD couldn't handle it. What a complete pain in the butt to remove and clean the adhesive residue off. It's on there good now and the 3M VHB part# that I provided the link for is slightly thicker than the factory applied tape and seems to be much stronger and better at filling in gaps.
How much did you use for the PP1 spoiler? I'll be installing a PP1 spoiler on my car that I just picked up. Did a 12x12 sheet work or did you need more than that?

Thanks

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
How much did you use for the PP1 spoiler? I'll be installing a PP1 spoiler on my car that I just picked up. Did a 12x12 sheet work or did you need more than that?

Thanks
A 12x12 sheet was way more than enough. But not quite enough to do it twice.

I made templates by tracing the grooves on the backside of the spoiler using a sheet of paper and the edge of a pencil to get an impression. Then cut-out the paper and traced that onto stiff thin cardboard. Then used the cardboard as a template to cut the VHB. It was time consuming.

Search around you can find pictures of how the VHB pieces should look. It doesn't go all the way to edges. This should help:
1632314931745.png

The 3 large pieces in the foreground are what you will need to make (example, the smaller pieces are if you take the spoiler apart to change the paint color, made by another member):
1632314981379.png

Last edited:

TN_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
A 12x12 sheet was way more than enough. But not quite enough to do it twice.

I made templates by tracing the grooves on the backside of the spoiler using a sheet of paper and the edge of a pencil to get an impression. Then cut-out the paper and traced that onto stiff thin cardboard. Then used the cardboard as a template to cut the VHB. It was time consuming.

Search around you can find pictures of how the VHB pieces should look. It doesn't go all the way to edges. This should help:
1632314931745.png

The 3 large pieces in the foreground are what you will need to make (example, the smaller pieces are if you take the spoiler apart to change the paint color, made by another member):
1632314981379.png
Perfect! Thanks for the detailed response! I did notice how the tape doesn't go to the edge when I was taking it off. I also saw the raised edge you used as a guide to trace on the paper, so I'll do the same. Thanks again!
Sponsored