Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Going to have dealer check it out once I get it back from PPF and coating. Think I’ll have my detailer wait to do the trunk/spoiler till I know what the dealer intends to do.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That is strange.....I removed my spoiler to paint and it took an act of God to remove it......I can't imagine it ever lifting....
The adhesive is very strong when it catches hold. It's odd because on mine the center is perfect but both the ends are lifting. I feel like the spoiler itself is a little warped, so the ends are constantly trying to lift themselves off.

If the spoiler was straight and the ends were lifting the center would be lifting as well. But that's not the case with mine. The center is perfectly flat but both ends are lifting.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The adhesive is very strong when it catches hold. It's odd because on mine the center is perfect but both the ends are lifting. I feel like the spoiler itself is a little warped, so the ends are constantly trying to lift themselves off.

If the spoiler was straight and the ends were lifting the center would be lifting as well. But that's not the case with mine. The center is perfectly flat but both ends are lifting.
My detailer is going to remove the spoiler during his prep and paint correction and then reapply new 3M tape. If that doesn’t fix it then it’s off to Ford…where they’ll probably do the same thing 🤣

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
My detailer is going to remove the spoiler during his prep and paint correction and then reapply new 3M tape. If that doesn’t fix it then it’s off to Ford…where they’ll probably do the same thing 🤣
I'm thinking about removing mine, new adhesive and getting more aggressive with the cleaning. Possibly even scuff the paint if necessary to get the ends to really stick well.

Please let us know what you hear from your detailer!

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Just a warning. My spoiler was making paint to paint contact at one of the far corners. Upon removing the spoiler a tiny spot where this contact was, removed the paint from the trunk lid. Tiny Tiny, probably 2mm diameter. I consider myself a professional spoiler remover and 100% guarantee that it was not due to removal process. Luckily it is concealed once put back on and you cannot see. Also note that the pieces of adhesive are pre-cut nearly full coverage under the parts of the spoiler that would contact the trunk. The adhesive therefor acts as cushion and buffer between the 2 painted surfaces. It appears my spoiler had slight build up of clear at a corner causing touching to the trunk.

I am also going to assume detailer/PPF guys have lots of tricks for removal but this by far was the biggest PITA i have ever done.

Sponsored

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I'm thinking about removing mine, new adhesive and getting more aggressive with the cleaning. Possibly even scuff the paint if necessary to get the ends to really stick well.

Please let us know what you hear from your detailer!
3M VHB the black stuff, not the grey + adhesion promoter. It's a must for spoiler installs. I would advise against scuffing the paint.

3M VHB #12X12-6-5962
3M Adhesion promoter wipes

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
part of me wants to pull spoiler fill and paint lid

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
My detailer called me and said the Swing came off super easy. The right side was lifting because somehow a lot of dirt got under the adhesive (between the tape and trunk) and that’s what caused it to give. I’m guessing poor prep by the factory. So he’s going to polish the trunk and then apply two layers of of tape to secure it.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
My detailer called me and said the Swing came off super easy. The right side was lifting because somehow a lot of dirt got under the adhesive (between the tape and trunk) and that’s what caused it to give. I’m guessing poor prep by the factory. So he’s going to polish the trunk and then apply two layers of of tape to secure it.
I want to disagree. the dirt came after it lifted, I did my prep, I used the 100% alcohol, it was as clean as it could be, not a spec of dust, once it lifted up, there's some debris under it, I used a little piece of paper and just removed small pebbles/debris from under my wings few days ago when I looked. those happened, after the edges lifted.

no way the car had dirt on them when wings was installed, im 99% certain it came that way after. I think the shape is just kinda weird, and the elements/expanding contracting prob pulls on the edge's double sided tape.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
I want to disagree. the dirt came after it lifted, I did my prep, I used the 100% alcohol, it was as clean as it could be, not a spec of dust, once it lifted up, there's some debris under it, I used a little piece of paper and just removed small pebbles/debris from under my wings few days ago when I looked. those happened, after the edges lifted.

no way the car had dirt on them when wings was installed, im 99% certain it came that way after. I think the shape is just kinda weird, and the elements/expanding contracting prob pulls on the edge's double sided tape.
Penguin's right. Dirt will not get under properly installed tape unless the integrity of the bond has failed.

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
As I said, it looked like it wasn’t Installed properly. I didn’t say anything about the dirt being there before the tape was applied. Not sure how that didn’t translate.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
As I said, it looked like it wasn’t Installed properly. Not sure how that didn’t translate
lol you cant install it improperly though. hes just pulling it off, seeing debris under it, and probably saying it looked like it didn't seat right is because dirt was under it, it just lifted, dirt went under and now you got dirt. can happen from even a sitting brand new car I reckon.

you clean the surface, and the spoiler, has several bolts and guides, cant remember how many, but 2 people, (I did it myself or with my gf) I cannot remember, you simply set it into the spots. the spoiler wouldn't go on, if it wasn't placed in the holes properly. the sticky tape is just extra grip.

there's also a guide on each side, and each bolt has a spacer/grommet that slides into the holes perfectly.

here's photos for ya. using oem 350 wing, but they are all the same if you have stock spoiler holes, just diff shapes.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-44210GT350/mustang-ford-accessories-gt350-track-pack-spoiler-1516

lrs-44210gt350_1fa61f57.jpg

lrs-44210gt350_d302c85f.jpg

OP
OP
Evolvd

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
lol you cant install it improperly though. hes just pulling it off, seeing debris under it, and probably saying it looked like it didn't seat right is because dirt was under it, it just lifted, dirt went under and now you got dirt. can happen from even a sitting brand new car I reckon.

you clean the surface, and the spoiler, has 3 or 4 bolts, cant remember how many, but 2 people, (I did it myself or with my gf) I cannot remember, you simply set it into the spots. the spoiler wouldn't go on, if it wasn't placed in the holes properly. the sticky tape is just extra grip.
Ok man, whatever you got to say. I edited my post because somehow you failed to understand what I’m saying. If you got anything else to add feel free to call my detailer. PM me and I’ll give you his number, otherwise I don’t care.
Sponsored