Barton Hybrid 3 issues? 18 gt

david5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fl
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Good evening everyone, so about 3 weeks ago i installed this shifter on my car, trans mounted.

Night and day difference in shift trow reduction and much more firmer shifts but it wasnt until i raced the car that i realized i was having issues with 2nd gear.

It goes in but doesnt engage, feels like a blank spot, so I actually have to take it out and wait until rpms go below 6k to put it in.

It only happens @ high rpms, so I decided to give it a try on the body mount version which fixed the issue 90% but still getting the same thing once in a while.

Last week i removed the barton and installed the factory shifter to check if it was the car, and apparently it doesnt do it with it.

Anybody had a similar issue?.
I send my shifter to Dave Barton to have it checked out.
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Good evening everyone, so about 3 weeks ago i installed this shifter on my car, trans mounted.

Night and day difference in shift trow reduction and much more firmer shifts but it wasnt until i raced the car that i realized i was having issues with 2nd gear.

It goes in but doesnt engage, feels like a blank spot, so I actually have to take it out and wait until rpms go below 6k to put it in.

It only happens @ high rpms, so I decided to give it a try on the body mount version which fixed the issue 90% but still getting the same thing once in a while.

Last week i removed the barton and installed the factory shifter to check if it was the car, and apparently it doesnt do it with it.

Call Barton and discuss the situation before you do anything else? There might be adjustments that can be done.

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP

I have the Hybrid 3 ( I'm assuming that is what you have) and I have it trans mounted. I have no issues shifting into any gears @ 7500 RPM. I would also call Barton like @NoVaGT said...

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I have the hybrid 3 body mounted
Zeronissues. Especially not 2nd, I didn’t install those springs though that go inside the shifter, I took them out. Way to stiff and such.

OP
OP
david5.0

david5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fl
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I already contacted Dave and told me he has never seen this before (great guy btw) taking care of his customers and dealing with issues directly, this is something you dont see every day.

The hybrid 3 has only one way to adjust it, which is done by moving the bottom piece of the shifter 3-4mm side to side, did that a couple of times and nothing.

I even thought it was the transmission but no since i tested the stock shifter and no issues

My car has only 4k miles btw.

Sponsored

t14mhall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I already contacted Dave and told me he has never seen this before (great guy btw) taking care of his customers and dealing with issues directly, this is something you dont see every day.

The hybrid 3 has only one way to adjust it, which is done by moving the bottom piece of the shifter 3-4mm side to side, did that a couple of times and nothing.

I even thought it was the transmission but no since i tested the stock shifter and no issues

My car has only 4k miles btw.
Interested in that adjustment feature- When I installed mine I didn't notice that...

OP
OP
david5.0

david5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fl
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I have the hybrid 3 body mounted
Zeronissues. Especially not 2nd, I didn’t install those springs though that go inside the shifter, I took them out. Way to stiff and such.
Body mounted fixed the issues 90% but every once in a while it does it.

Btw, i dont like body mounted, the shifts are longuer and softer.

I like the opposite which is given by trans mounting.

OP
OP
david5.0

david5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fl
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Interested in that adjustment feature- When I installed mine I didn't notice that...
Its a simple thing to do but some cars dont need adjustment, i guess yours was one of them.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richie
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I have the Hybrid 3 ( I'm assuming that is what you have) and I have it trans mounted. I have no issues shifting into any gears @ 7500 RPM. I would also call Barton like @NoVaGT said...
Ya but how do I reach Dave I’ve been trying in emails and calling

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Heya did you get a resolution bud? I got this exact same problem atm. Soft anything up to 6000/6500 ok... anything over locked out

Sponsored

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
If nothing else solves it, I would look into an upgraded poly urethane transmission mount and also motor mounts to strengthen the deflection properties of the transmission. Transmission Movement during high rpm shifts is the reason why the trans mount works better %90 of the time then the non transmission mount. The stiffer mounts will add a little vibration but if that fixes it, its worth it.

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
If nothing else solves it, I would look into an upgraded poly urethane transmission mount and also motor mounts to strengthen the deflection properties of the transmission. Transmission Movement during high rpm shifts is the reason why the trans mount works better %90 of the time then the non transmission mount. The stiffer mounts will add a little vibration but if that fixes it, its worth it.
Already running steed trans mount support bush to stiffen that up...

Mine also trans mounted As it stands

Is hard to trouble shoot because Barton aren't open until 11/12pm my time...

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Reportedly the problem is not the tranny, but the clutch mushy rubber lines. High rpm requires more force to disengage the clutch, so the lines swell, not completely disengaging the clutch. Braided S/S lines supposedly eliminate that, but confirm with experts. Good luck.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Body mounted fixed the issues 90% but every once in a while it does it.

Btw, i dont like body mounted, the shifts are longuer and softer.

I like the opposite which is given by trans mounting.
Didn’t realize their is a difference in shift times body to trans
I’m just a dd, so it feels good to me. And no lockoit

but I’m an ecoboost. You guys have way much torque power, could be why it feels better and less issues. Lol in stock form you guys still spank my power output. Sorry I was hoping body would fix it completelh

update your outckme

I never saw your reply