Sponsored

Bald Stock Tires

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FR IC JLT CAI ATP DP Meth INJ Cobb Tune FR ABs
I was slipping and sliding during a downpour two weeks ago. I checked my back tires and they were completely bald. Even worn on both. Front tires were fine. I went to a tire shop and found out threads were coming out and they would have completely blown in another 100 or so miles.

I told the tire guy I accelerate quickly often but never do burn outs on dry pavement...but am guilty of an occasional fishtail around corners :headbang:

These stock tires cost around $200 and are more for corners than off the line acceleration. I ended up by some tough looking Michelins for the back--an inch wider, cool tread and more resilient rubber.

See was surprised to see an ecoboost do that kind of damage in 3500 miles. He said all wheel drive Audi's regularly get all 4 tires replaced at 8K miles.

Any similar stories out there?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Are you lowered? If so, almost zero the rear toe and be mindful of your driving. Ask a reputable race shop what alignment specs they would run on say an 08-whatever M3 for severely lowered or track use.

I personally run almost zero front and rear toe with almost 3* of camber front and 2-2.5 rear and my *street* tires last a good long while. Race tires are a different story.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Happens on the AWD merc's too. They do not have a factory fix for it.

OP
OP

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you lowered? If so, almost zero the rear toe and be mindful of your driving. Ask a reputable race shop what alignment specs they would run on say an 08-whatever M3 for severely lowered or track use.

I personally run almost zero front and rear toe with almost 3* of camber front and 2-2.5 rear and my *street* tires last a good long while. Race tires are a different story.
I'm not lowered. He was a Mustang guy and said something about IRS, but at the end of the day, he's a tire changer. That fact that stock tires are only $200 apiece tells me they are basically throw down.

Sponsored

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
How is your alignment? And don't have some tire shop check it. Go somewhere legit. If its way the hell off, start talking with the dealer.

OP
OP

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is your alignment? And don't have some tire shop check it. Go somewhere legit. If its way the hell off, start talking with the dealer.
I thought about alignment, but would that result in two evenly bald back tires and perfectly fine front tires?

My car doesn't pull left or right...but I did smack a curb pretty hard a while back.

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
total excessive toe out or in in the rear would wear them evenly

picture your tires like this while driving straight.
LF | | RF
LR / \ RR

Lithium

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
When I bought my new wheels and tires I sold my originals. @1500 miles the rears were down to the wear indicators.....Of course I had found the line lock feature about 3 weeks earlier amazing what a few 15sec burnouts will do to the stock Pirellis....

Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I have no idea how you guys are driving. As a DD, I would have a big problem with the dealership of replacing my rear tires under warranty.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
What was the air pressure in them, do you recall?

Also, don't the factory supplied tires come with any type of tread life warranty (excluding the "Summer Only" tires)?

Banjo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP manual
I only have 800 miles on my ecoboost with PP but there's no appreciable wear on the tires yet. I came from a 2005.5 Audi S4. I had 2 of 4 Michelin Pilot Super Sports on the S4 wear out in 15,000 but that was due to an alignment issue. I didn't hold back on the car and had piggie pipes, exhaust, tune, and sway bars. The only reason those two wore out was the alignment as I had decent tread except for the inside ~3/4 of the inside shoulder that was showing the bands. If you have even wear it's just a matter of using the car properly. I would highly recommend getting Pilot Super Sports from Discount Tire. If you have the same size wheels front and back and you wear them out evenly like you did this pair they have a 30,000 mile prorated warranty. This is my plan after the Pzeros wear out. Between this article and my experience with the Super Sports drives my opinion: http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/michelin-pilot-super-sport-page-10

OP
OP

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Also, don't the factory supplied tires come with any type of tread life warranty (excluding the "Summer Only" tires)?
The air pressure was always the same in all for tires. Around 33psi.

OP
OP

Frogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

My car is so modified it would take me a day of work to return it to stock before going to the dealer.
Sponsored