Sponsored

Axle back recommendations

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Appreciate input guys as I am looking to do a axle back kit for my car. It already has the Borla Switchfire on the car so thats why not a catback kit. I was considering the FRPP by Borla sport or extreme. I actually like the way the car sounds the way it is except when it gets above 4k rpm, it gets tinny or kind of a flatulence kind of sound. Do you think the Borla Switchfire will sound any different than other Xpipes being that it was designed with its polyphonic technology (I know probably marketing gobbledygook). This is the way my E92 M3 sounded with testpipes and a Megan catback. Had a nice tone to it at high rpm..

Obviously isn't going to sound the same, but just like a clean note at higher rpms.
Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Hey Dave- I've had plain X- and H- pipes, and also a Magnaflow Tru-X resonated X-pipe, with the stock mufflers, and all of them sounded tinny because of the mufflers. Tried Roush / Steeda clone axle-backs from NXT Step (they are all straight through can-type construction) and it wasn't tinny but it was so booming loud that I wanted to puke. Right now I have LTH Scorpion axle-backs with the stock center resonator and freaking love them. Pretty loud and deep at idle, nice and mellow at cruising, and sound awesome when you're gunning it through mid-range and higher. I think @Performance nut has the full Scorpion cat-back which is the axle-back plus an H-pipe, maybe he can offer his thoughts too.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Dave- I've had plain X- and H- pipes, and also a Magnaflow Tru-X resonated X-pipe, with the stock mufflers, and all of them sounded tinny because of the mufflers. Tried Roush / Steeda clone axle-backs from NXT Step (they are all straight through can-type construction) and it wasn't tinny but it was so booming loud that I wanted to puke. Right now I have LTH Scorpion axle-backs with the stock center resonator and freaking love them. Pretty loud and deep at idle, nice and mellow at cruising, and sound awesome when you're gunning it through mid-range and higher. I think @Performance nut has the full Scorpion cat-back which is the axle-back plus an H-pipe, maybe he can offer his thoughts too.

Thanks for the input Mike...

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Zero complaints with my FRPP/Borla Touring setup.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Corsa Touring axleback. They sound better than anything else in the upper RPM range bar the Xtreme, and ZERO, I mean ZERO drone. Cruising is quieter than stock. They'd probably pair nicely with the Switchfire. I'd be very interested to hear that.

I've (unfortunately) probably had more exhaust combinations and sampling than anyone else on the forum.

Stock w/ X pipe
JBA axleback w/ X pipe
Corsa Sport (Xtreme) w/ OEM resonator
Corsa Sport (Xtreme) w/ MF resonated X pipe
Corsa Xtreme Catback (Sport axleback + Double X pipe)
Corsa Sport Catback (Touring axleback + Double X pipe) - I had this for 2 years
Borla ATAK Catback
FP Borla Touring Catback
AWE Touring w/ X pipe
AWE Touring w/ GT350 X pipe & resonators

and now back home...
Corsa Sport Catback

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry, must have missed this thread for awhile. Mike's right, I have the full catback. It is mean as heck. Not as loud as my 2016 when I had headers, H pipe, and Borla Touring mufflers. Morning startups definitely rumble enough to be heard inside the house. After warm up, the idle is definitely tame until you get on the fun pedal.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Corsa Touring axleback. They sound better than anything else in the upper RPM range bar the Xtreme, and ZERO, I mean ZERO drone. Cruising is quieter than stock. They'd probably pair nicely with the Switchfire. I'd be very interested to hear that.

I've (unfortunately) probably had more exhaust combinations and sampling than anyone else on the forum.

Stock w/ X pipe
JBA axleback w/ X pipe
Corsa Sport (Xtreme) w/ OEM resonator
Corsa Sport (Xtreme) w/ MF resonated X pipe
Corsa Xtreme Catback (Sport axleback + Double X pipe)
Corsa Sport Catback (Touring axleback + Double X pipe) - I had this for 2 years
Borla ATAK Catback
FP Borla Touring Catback
AWE Touring w/ X pipe
AWE Touring w/ GT350 X pipe & resonators

and now back home...
Corsa Sport Catback
I can say that the 2015-17 and 18+ engines have completely different tones though for the same system. 18+ with an X is comparable to a 15-17 with an H for example. No idea why but it is.

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
I can say that the 2015-17 and 18+ engines have completely different tones though for the same system. 18+ with an X is comparable to a 15-17 with an H for example. No idea why but it is.
They are different, and I definitely noticed a different tone when I changed to the 2018 manifold. That said, my suggestion sounds even better on the '18+ cars than the 15-17, IMO.

Full catback. With Switchfire would sound similar.

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They are different, and I definitely noticed a different tone when I changed to the 2018 manifold. That said, my suggestion sounds even better on the '18+ cars than the 15-17, IMO.

Full catback. With Switchfire would sound similar.

I think you nailed it...

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550