TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
XDI2050 injectors finally arrived today! XDIs are on the left and OEMs are on the right in the pictures. They look about the same from the side and nozzle views, but XDI’s inlet is definitely bigger. The fourth picture shows XDIs mounted on the fuel rail, ready to install.

None of the OEM injectors were stuck to the head as they all popped out along with the fuel rail. If any of them were stuck, the injector puller (cheaper Chinese copy) would’ve worked as shown tested on an injector in the last picture.

Log comparison

Final tune with XDI-EVO pump and OEM injectors with E85 fuel at ~6K RPM:

Boost pressure: 26.01

AFR: 14.26

FRP: 2834

STFT(%): 8.59

Looks like OEM injectors can’t flow enough at high RPMs as AFR was on the lean side. STFT(%) was positive, so I believe the ECU tried adding more fuel without luck, even though the FRP was good. However, the car felt fine during the pull and I didn’t notice any knocks or negative ignition corrections, but the tuner advised against pushing it until the injector upgrade.

Base tune with XDI-EVO pump and OEM injectors with E85 fuel at ~6K RPM:

AFR: 11.61

FRP: 2825

STFT(%): -11.72

AFR looks much better. Similar FRP but negative STFT. Perhaps the base tune is on the safe side with the amount of fuel and the ECUs trying to trim excess fuel?

20200922_205325.jpg

20200922_205318.jpg

20200922_205308.jpg
I would love to see your car dyno'd, if it really is pushing that much power as they say call me impressed! Im still waiting on the NX2 as its on back order :( but really appreciate your time on this and I feel like everyone should be running this setup. This shit makes me pumped!!!
Sponsored

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
OUt of curiosity - why a new hpfp and di injectors instead of aux fuel rail with port injectors?

GuardEcoBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard 16 Ecoboost
OUt of curiosity - why a new hpfp and di injectors instead of aux fuel rail with port injectors?
Why add another computer? Why not let the factory system work better?

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Here are pros and cons I can think off the top of my head:

XDI HPFP pros:

- Relatively simple to install as you just replace the stock pump and a part of the low pressure line.
- No wires to splice and don't even have to remove the intake manifold.
- Good enough to support E50 with stock injectors at the stock block max recommended power level.
- Most people won't notice that you have aftermarket fuel components.
- Easier to tune since you don't have a second set of injectors with their own controller.

Cons:

- Needs upgraded injectors if using E85, which about doubles the cost
- Even with upgraded injectors, you'll need to add aux fuel if going above 550 WHP on E85
- I noticed that it takes a little longer for cold starts after the weather cooled down. Perhaps larger injectors don't atomize fuel as good as smaller ones?

Aux fuel pros:

- Cheaper initial cost to support E85 and there are plenty of used ones for sale
- Total of eight injectors can flow more than just four
- Cleans intake valves

Cons:

- Batch firing that can encourage puddling and lower efficiency
- Harder to tune, may cost more for the tune
- More hardware means more things that can break. For example, if only the aux fuel or main fuel portion fails, there still may be just enough fuel flowing to keep the engine running but at a very lean ratio.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Here are pros and cons I can think off the top of my head:

XDI HPFP pros:

- Relatively simple to install as you just replace the stock pump and a part of the low pressure line.
- No wires to splice and don't even have to remove the intake manifold.
- Good enough to support E50 with stock injectors at the stock block max recommended power level.
- Most people won't notice that you have aftermarket fuel components.
- Easier to tune since you don't have a second set of injectors with their own controller.

Cons:

- Needs upgraded injectors if using E85, which about doubles the cost
- Even with upgraded injectors, you'll need to add aux fuel if going above 550 WHP on E85
- I noticed that it takes a little longer for cold starts after the weather cooled down. Perhaps larger injectors don't atomize fuel as good as smaller ones?

Aux fuel pros:

- Cheaper initial cost to support E85 and there are plenty of used ones for sale
- Total of eight injectors can flow more than just four
- Cleans intake valves

Cons:

- Batch firing that can encourage puddling and lower efficiency
- Harder to tune, may cost more for the tune
- More hardware means more things that can break. For example, if only the aux fuel or main fuel portion fails, there still may be just enough fuel flowing to keep the engine running but at a very lean ratio.
Good reply as always! My bigger turbo comes in next week and then hpfp after that! Im super hyped to get my faster lol, by the way did you get your baby dyno'd yet? I want to see some good numbers!

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
Awesome. Keep an eye on your coolant level and be on the look out for missires. Especially after cold starts. Not sure if Ford updated the head gasket intve later years, but mine failed with Methonal pushing 400+ whp. Drops 2-3 psi after 8 hrs when pressurized. I never thought it would happen to me lol. Big radiator with full synthetic and new plugs every year.
I am not sold on the I made 450 whp idea that People claim on a stock block. 400 is probably the upper limits without head studs and improved head gasket. 450 with stock internals imo

Bull Run

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EB Prem PP
Good reply as always! My bigger turbo comes in next week and then hpfp after that! Im super hyped to get my faster lol, by the way did you get your baby dyno'd yet? I want to see some good numbers!
Thanks! Got dynoed a couple of years ago on a Mustang dyno, so I'll try the same place in November if things get settled down around here.

Awesome. Keep an eye on your coolant level and be on the look out for missires. Especially after cold starts. Not sure if Ford updated the head gasket intve later years, but mine failed with Methonal pushing 400+ whp. Drops 2-3 psi after 8 hrs when pressurized. I never thought it would happen to me lol. Big radiator with full synthetic and new plugs every year.
I am not sold on the I made 450 whp idea that People claim on a stock block. 400 is probably the upper limits without head studs and improved head gasket. 450 with stock internals imo
Thanks for the tip. Last time I filled up on coolant was a few years ago when I upgraded the turbo. I added a little this morning to get it flush with the max line and will observe. Didn't see anything anything usual the last time I pulled the plugs, and didn't see any noticeable oil consumption between oil changes, either.

On the other note, the station where I get the fuel tends to read closer to E90. Someone mentioned that adding a couple galleons of regular gas helps with the cold starts during the winter. I tried it for the last two fill-ups and it helped. I drive with the tuner hooked up and haven't seen anything usual for the AFR, STFT, OAR, fuel pressure, or ignition correction, so I'll keep doing this for the winter.

DavidEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue 2.3T/AT Mustang
I was careful too. I did the same when I installed my Mishi radiator. Filled to the line and carefully watched the level.
I only use Amsoil and change every 4000k miles. Just hit 28k.
The car started to start with random missfires and would throw a cylinder #3 code when driving on the freeway from time to time. My evap solenoid failed and I installed a new one, changed the oil and plugs. The problem remained and logs looked good at WOT.
I noticed the coolant was low, so I topped it off and it would drop after a few days. I finally did a pressure test following Fords TSB. Dropped 2-2.5 psi, so it is head gasket time.

I will be disassembling shortly and capping the power 350 whp on 50/50 water/Methonal till I can afford a built block on E85

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
I was careful too. I did the same when I installed my Mishi radiator. Filled to the line and carefully watched the level.
I only use Amsoil and change every 4000k miles. Just hit 28k.
The car started to start with random missfires and would throw a cylinder #3 code when driving on the freeway from time to time. My evap solenoid failed and I installed a new one, changed the oil and plugs. The problem remained and logs looked good at WOT.
I noticed the coolant was low, so I topped it off and it would drop after a few days. I finally did a pressure test following Fords TSB. Dropped 2-2.5 psi, so it is head gasket time.

I will be disassembling shortly and capping the power 350 whp on 50/50 water/Methonal till I can afford a built block on E85
Might just be rotten luck tbh! An ecoboost where I live in Florida pushed 540 whp with the comp 5858 turbo and a hpfp on e40 on stock block. I have heard other rumors that the head gasket tends to fail first with huge power gains.

Sponsored

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
stock 2.3 block??

2.0, right?

Might just be rotten luck tbh! An ecoboost where I live in Florida pushed 540 whp with the comp 5858 turbo and a hpfp on e40 on stock block. I have heard other rumors that the head gasket tends to fail first with huge power gains.

OP
OP
TurboNub

TurboNub

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
stock 2.3 block??

2.0, right?
Im talking about the 2.3...I was in disbelief as well but anything is possible when getting dyno tuned. I personally wouldnt want that much power as one bad tank of gas and you are going boom. Also pretty sure he has upgraded headers.

D K

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Popemobile
Headers?

Downpipe maybe?

Im talking about the 2.3...I was in disbelief as well but anything is possible when getting dyno tuned. I personally wouldnt want that much power as one bad tank of gas and you are going boom. Also pretty sure he has upgraded headers.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Alright boys Ive been having a shit ton of fun with my pro-tune full bolt on but I really want to see what this baby can do with e85 so if you are running an aux fuel kit or have heard which one is "the best" I would greatly appreciate any advice thanks!
Go with the Extreme DI EVO. We can get you one here from www.lethalperformance.com!
Sponsored