Sponsored

Aux fuel... Why has no one just made a high flow fuel pump?

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Stupid question. Why can't an electric HPFP be made? Or belt driven?
Just a quick search I found where high HP diesel applications add a second HPFP to allow for more volume of fuel while keeping pressure where it needs to be. The article I saw showed the 2nd pump to be belt driven.

Picture is a diesel application.
There has been some made for other applications, but the demand for fuel is quite high. Need to find a actual belt driven pump that can support 250bar minimum.
Sponsored

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
There has been some made for other applications, but the demand for fuel is quite high. Need to find a actual belt driven pump that can support 250bar minimum.
250 bar = 3,625 psi. At least is what Google tells me.
Diesel applications are running 23,000+ psi rail pressures.
A quote from http://www.trucktrend.com/how-to/parts-accessories/1204dp-inside-the-bosch-cp3-injection-pump/
"High-pressure common-rail injection technology has revolutionized the diesel industry. Over the last decade, it has allowed engine builders to run higher injection pressures (as much as 29,000 psi in the new LML Duramax and 6.7L Power Stroke) in order to increase efficiency, while greatly reducing emissions"

Adam, theoretically speaking, what would the power potential be if you could add a 2nd factory hpfp?

Last edited:

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Adam, he's right. I have some experience with diesels in pickup trucks. The Bosch cp3 pump that the duramaxes and '03-later cummins engines use (or used to use, I dunno about current) runs rail pressure up to around 30,000 psi or so. Hell, a common rail cummins WON'T EVEN START unless it sees rail pressure around 4-5k. It's generally accepted that those pumps tend to start not keeping up at around 500 wheel hp. Typical symptoms like any similar situation, rail pressure sags. People do indeed add an extra cp3 pump, belt driven, to roughly double the capability of a stock pump. I'm not saying you should try a cp3 pump on an ecoboost of course, but that is proof of concept for the idea of adding a second belt driven pump in a high pressure common rail situation.

mtpavelka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Adam, he's right. I have some experience with diesels in pickup trucks. The Bosch cp3 pump that the duramaxes and '03-later cummins engines use (or used to use, I dunno about current) runs rail pressure up to around 30,000 psi or so. Hell, a common rail cummins WON'T EVEN START unless it sees rail pressure around 4-5k. It's generally accepted that those pumps tend to start not keeping up at around 500 wheel hp. Typical symptoms like any similar situation, rail pressure sags. People do indeed add an extra cp3 pump, belt driven, to roughly double the capability of a stock pump. I'm not saying you should try a cp3 pump on an ecoboost of course, but that is proof of concept for the idea of adding a second belt driven pump in a high pressure common rail situation.
That was what I was getting at. You did a better job of saying it than I did. Lol

v8440

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
Yeah, but it was your idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.

Sponsored

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Oh, I know for sure that Diesel's run huge rail pressure what I meant to say is one that made the pressure and isn't huge and can be regulated to run the pressure desired, you can OVER pressurize the fuel system on these cars or you are looking for trouble.

Would need to make a custom adapter or harmonic balancer to run a COG belt as I wouldn't run a standard belt on a belt driven pump. If you have any slip you are going to be purchasing a new motor real fast especially at high power levels.

In the end, we are looking at 440-450whp MAX with the direct injection injectors by themselves as mentioned in my first post on this thread. So going through the trouble of adding a belt driven pump to get the fuel pressure needed isn't going to be worth while as you are going to be limited by design of the engine.

OP
OP
Slow89

Slow89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 sec bolt on ecoboost // 9.2 @ 151 2019 blower GTCS
This is my first DI engine so I'm a total noob. But what I'm taking from all this is fuck DI motors all together. And basically at this point our cars are too new and need more time for new things to come... Kinda reminds me of when srt-4s first came out and couldn't break 10s if their life depending on it lol.

Thanks for all the good info guys
Sponsored