Sponsored

Autonet.ca Review (GT)

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Lots of positives here... this writer has pro racing experience.
Overall, the Performance Package GT is a remarkable car and - get your hate mail ready now - found it to be more satisfying for my attack of California mountain roads than BMW's latest M4. I'll chalk that up to a more communicative chassis, great cockpit, and Ford's wonderful 5.0-litre V8.
Also some new details from Pericak on the GT vs. Boss 302 track performance:
The old Boss 302 was indeed known for being faster than its contemporary BMW M3, but that got me thinking about how this new Performance Package GT stacks up. Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak told me that, yes, this new car is faster than the Boss. Indeed, it's 1.5 seconds around Michigan's Grattan Raceway - a circuit where I've won some races - and I can tell you that's a real accomplishment.
http://www.autonet.ca/en/2014/09/21/first-drive-2015-ford-mustang-gt

The Mustang is the original pony car and is celebrating its 50th year of continuous production with an all-new, sixth generation model. Its looks are striking, and it arrives with abundant modern technology and more performance than ever before.

A solid rear axle has been a staple of the Mustang package since its inception in 1964, save for a minor fling with the legendary fourth generation SVT Cobra, and Ford's engineers had thoroughly tamed the handling of the platform, culminating with the very quick Boss 302. The Boss set some impressive benchmarks while still saddled with its solid axle, being notably faster than BMW's M3 around a circuit, in addition to winning numerous racing championships.

For this clean sheet design Mustang, Ford has adopted wholesale a fully independent rear suspension. This change brings the Mustang into the modern age, in terms of handling, but follows both Camaro and Challenger with an independent rear suspension.

This 2015's interior is thoroughly revised with a more modern look, aircraft inspired toggle switches for drive modes, steering effort, and stability control. Yes, SYNC is here and, no, it's not a deal breaker, but we all know there are better infotainment systems out there.

Ford’s also moved the tech and safety game forward with a laundry list of new features including automatic wipers, rear view camera, a quick-charging USB port, forward collision warning, and eight airbags.

Enthusiasts may rejoice since the superb Performance Package option is available immediately and raises the Mustang's outright performance to BMW M4 levels. The package includes a limited slip differential, 19-inch Pirelli tires on black wheels, larger brakes, and monotube dampers, and it all works harmoniously to create a confidence-inspiring package.

Within a couple of miles, I begin to feel completely at one with the GT and completely switch off the Advancetrac system, but not because it interferes with the GT's handling. Rather, on these wonderful California roads, I'm curious about the Mustang’s near limit handling characteristics. There is so much traction and grip available that it’s almost impossible to upset the Mustang’s dynamics. The Pirelli tires give tremendous grip and Brembo brakes add to the Performance Package's exceptional competence.

For 2015, the 5.0-litre V8 has been revised so it now makes 435 horsepower, just nine shy of the legendary Boss 302, and 400 lb-ft of torque. It's also more efficient, but I'll save that testing for another lifetime because the GT is meant to be enjoyed with its throttle open.

The six-speed Getrag manual box has a great shifter with short throws and well-defined gates. Ratios as perfectly space and you never seem to be caught between gears. Fitting with the excellent shifter, pedal placement is perfect for heel-and-toe downshift operations. The engine responds promptly to throttle blips, making those kinds of shifts a snap.

Brake feel and control are excellent, and credit is due to those six piston Brembo calipers up front. Track rats may want to consider a pad upgrade for circuit work, but during my spirited running I don't detect a lick of fade from them.

The steering wheel has a new shape and feels great in your hands, and the expected electrically assisted power steering system is here with three levels of firmness available for the driver. To me, it's almost a novelty as your effort level changes, but there is no difference in feedback. There is less feel than you find in the new Corvette for example, but the steering is very precise and the rack's ratio is quick enough to satisfy any enthusiast.

Overall, the Performance Package GT is a remarkable car and - get your hate mail ready now - found it to be more satisfying for my attack of California mountain roads than BMW's latest M4. I'll chalk that up to a more communicative chassis, great cockpit, and Ford's wonderful 5.0-litre V8.

The old Boss 302 was indeed known for being faster than its contemporary BMW M3, but that got me thinking about how this new Performance Package GT stacks up. Mustang Chief Engineer Dave Pericak told me that, yes, this new car is faster than the Boss. Indeed, it's 1.5 seconds around Michigan's Grattan Raceway - a circuit where I've won some races - and I can tell you that's a real accomplishment.

The other big Mustang news is that the four cylinder is back and Ford has engineered a version of its two-litre EcoBoost engine. I did drive it briefly and found its 310 horsepower adequate, but the biggest benefit seems to be that there are 173 fewer pounds on the nose of the car, which equates to more responsive turn-in as well as better overall chassis balance.

Ford has hit a grand slam home run with this Mustang. It's not just about more performance, but that new independent rear suspension gives the driver greater confidence when hustling the Mustang. The additional power and modern tech are nice-to-haves, but this Performance Package GT is far greater than the sum of its parts and raises the pony car bar to a level never seen before.

Fact file:

2015 Ford Mustang GT

• Trim level: GT
  • Price as tested (before taxes): $36,999
  • Options on test vehicle: GT Performance Package, price n/a
  • Freight: $1,550
  • Configuration: front engine, rear-wheel drive
  • Engine/transmission: 5.0L 8-cylinder / 6-spd manual
  • Power/torque: 435 hp/ 400 lb.-ft.
  • Fuel (capacity): premium (61L)
  • Fuel economy ratings (L/100 km): 15.2 city / 9.3 highway
  • Observed fuel economy (L/100 km): n/a
  • Warranties: 3 years/60,000 km (basic)
  • Competitors: Chevrolet Camaro SS, Dodge Challenger R/T
  • Strengths: sports car-like handling, modern safety and conveniences
  • Weaknesses: SYNC infotainment, driver’s seat needs height adjustment
  • Report Card (out of 10):
  • Equipment level: 9 – More safety and convenience features than ever before
  • Price: 9 – It can go toe-to-toe with cars twice its price
  • Styling: 8 – Unmistakably a Mustang with a modern twist
  • Comfort (front): 8 – Great seats, but too high off the floor
  • Comfort (rear): 7 – Better for children than adults
  • Handling: 9 – The best handling Mustang ever produced
  • Performance: 9 – Could this be an M4 killer
  • Storage: 8 – Great cargo room for a pony car
  • Overall: 9 – Ford hit a grand slam home run with this Mustang
Sponsored

OP
OP

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
It doesn't show up in the text pasted above - but on the web site he lists as one negative that the seat needs a height adjustment. Anyone know if that is true of the regular seats or is he referring to the Recaros?

StangBANG

Patience; long suffering.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
15 Magnetic GT. Performance Pack Premium Redline
I hope ford didn't pay this guy off ...that was a VERY positive review.

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
:headbang:

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
It doesn't show up in the text pasted above - but on the web site he lists as one negative that the seat needs a height adjustment. Anyone know if that is true of the regular seats or is he referring to the Recaros?
Recaro's I'm assuming.

Sponsored

Millgeo5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Geoff
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Great review. Only knock is seat height and no back seat to speak of, those I can live with. :clap2:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Is he saying the drivers seat doesn't have a height level adjustment? I find that hard to believe.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Nice review. It seems there are a lot more positive reviews than negative....Bring on the track reviews. It will be funny to watch C5 come tumbling down when the Mustang PP does well around the curves....

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Damn....that is a significant advantage...1.5 seconds. I need to see what type of layout this track is, very curious.

About this track:
"The picturesque road course is two miles long with several unique and challenging corners. It is considered to be one of the finest courses in America. Some of its features include a 3,200 foot straightaway, a 160 degree hairpin turn and a downhill reverse camber turn. If you can master Grattan, you can race anywhere."

OP
OP

Devon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Is he saying the drivers seat doesn't have a height level adjustment? I find that hard to believe.
I do as well. It's got to be the Recaros. There is no way that the standard power seats (with AC and heating, no less) are not going to have a height adjustment, it would be unsafe, Ford could be liable for accidents etc.

Sponsored

GNS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
car
I find it hard to believe that Recaros don't have height adjustment. I did a search on 2014 GTs with Recaros and I found this thread. It appears to be just on the driver's side, which is fine with me.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I do as well. It's got to be the Recaros. There is no way that the standard power seats (with AC and heating, no less) are not going to have a height adjustment, it would be unsafe, Ford could be liable for accidents etc.
Yah I think you're probably right...it's prob the Recaros.

JoeDogInKC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Triple Yellow 2015 GT Premium w/PP
Well, the regular seats are listed as 6-way adjustable.

williamwally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 gt
This:

"Ratios as perfectly space and you never seem to be caught between gears. Fitting with the excellent shifter, pedal placement is perfect for heel-and-toe downshift operations. The engine responds promptly to throttle blips, making those kinds of shifts a snap."

and this:

"but this Performance Package GT is far greater than the sum of its parts and raises the pony car bar to a level never seen before."

Are very exciting to hear!