Automatic Engine Shutdown

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
On my 2019 I unchecked automatic engine shutdown while trying to update my map to 1.19. When I started the engine again and checked the automatic engine shutdown was checked. Is this the default or should once unchecked stay that way.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Good question. I also disabled it, but haven't checked again if it stayed that way. Now I will :).

OP
OP

steve2150

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt 2020 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Good question. I also disabled it, but haven't checked again if it stayed that way. Now I will :).
Let me know, if yours stays that way gonna have mine checked next time for service.

Assh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red GT
It resets each time you shut down.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
And, no override in forscan ............. yet. There is one for the Explorer. Going to have my tuner give that a go. The PIU does not have auto shutdown.

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Prem. 10r80, PP1, 401A, Active Exhaust
page 132 & 133 in the online manual i just looked at:

upload_2020-7-29_8-33-2.png
upload_2020-7-29_8-33-38.png

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
That is one lame ass feature. I walked on a car purchase because of the little goody .

Learned real fast to ask that question. Before I even start to consider buying a car.

That's on the lame scale of 1-10 is an 11 as is HOAs for homes....

How pathetic

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
All my new cars have that,2 caddy's and mustang.they all have remote starts with auto shutdown which I use alot.the auto stop prevents my car from running till out of gas.dont see battery in equation.because it's charging while its running

Last edited:

OLdchuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tacoma, 2020 Miata, MB E350
Torched10 is correct in that virtually all new cars sold in the US do have auto-shutoff. Most but not all can be disabled once started as most reset once the car is shut down. Some you can Not turn it off and these I would not even consider. Some like Porsche can be turned off and they do NOT reset after the car is turned off.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
The good news is for most of us that's NEVER going to be an issue. Why do you want to leave an engine running more than an hour??? Remember that's without touching anything. If you're in traffic, for instance, the timer resets every time you touch the brake or gas pedal.

Sponsored

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
with more and more vehicles becoming "push to start".. i think this is an "ok" feature to have.. this is my first "push to start" vehicle, and the transition from using keys, to not using keys, was a little weird. ive never forgotten that the car was on, but i could see someone, in a hurry, forgetting very easily.

certainly wouldnt be a feature that would be a deal breaker.. now if it was the feature that shut off the engine at stop lights.. or reduced cylinder usage then that would be a deal breaker for me..

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
certainly wouldnt be a feature that would be a deal breaker.. now if it was the feature that shut off the engine at stop lights.. or reduced cylinder usage then that would be a deal breaker for me..
No new cars for you then - or at least not for much longer.

Can't see the problem myself - have driven cars with both and they just work with no impact on driving. Big impact on fuel consumption - the Mustang V8 drinks fuel when idling or crawling in traffic which is a real PITA - wish it had stop start. - in fact it may be the only Ford without it in Europe.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
well see, thats the difference i guess..

i dont drive a lot of vehicles.. but i do travel part of the year, and get my fair share of base models to choose from.

i have driven a few stop-start.. and honestly.. every implementation i have driven has been a horrible user experience.

if it ever gets implemented and it works well, then i might consider it. but until then, if that means no new cars for me, then oh well, so be it. im getting older and more nostalgic anyway.. not too big of a concern for me i guess.

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
This is not an auto stop start feature like at red lights and in traffic. This is for if the vehicle is stationary with no interaction to the gas and brake pedals for over 1 hour.

wade001

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wade
Vehicle(s)
This is not an auto stop start feature like at red lights and in traffic. This is for if the vehicle is stationary with no interaction to the gas and brake pedals for over 1 hour.
that is true, i was drawn a bit off topic.

this particular feature is not about stop-start technology, or cylinder reduction while driving. it is about a feature that shuts off your engine if it has been idling, unattended, for X amount of time. X being approximately 30 or so minutes in my experience, YMMV slightly. you can see my post #6 for the MY2019 manual description of this feature
Sponsored